Solar battery charger

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by fireguy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've been looking on the web at different solar battery chargers for AA, AAA, C, and D batteries. I don't want to depend on the regular batteries I have stored. I want to get the rechargeables and charge them up without needing the grid. Does anyone have a set up they like?

2. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

The Goal0 (read GOAL ZERO) is really nice, but pricey. I just ordered some chinese cheapies from ebay, I'll let you know if they are worth a damn when the show up.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

you can buy solar patio lights. they have 1 or 2 AA batteries in already and a solar charger. Plus can be used for lighting or as a flashlight. Harbor Freight has a solar charger for about $10 that has many good reviews.

4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I looked at the Goal0 stuff on Promotive and I was like you, it is kind of expensive. I think I'll do a Radio Shack search.

5. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

We have a few of them (less than 20) outside, around the house. Estimated lifespan of the 1 AA is between 6 to 18 months before completed battery burnout. The 2 AA models last about 18 months.

6. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Just trade those out for batteries with higher milli-amp hours, the higher the number the longer they hold a charge, the larger the charge is and the more cycles they will complete. The ones that come with the lights are usually AA 600-800 and AAA are 400-600. You can buy AA up to at least 4000(probably higher too) and like 2800 on the AAA