SOG Knives

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by zaitsev44, Dec 9, 2012.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I need a new pocket knife and I saw the SOG Trident knife in the Walmart ad for $50. Anyone have this knife? Are they good? Is SOG a reliable brand? Thanks

image-4187484303.jpg

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I can not help you with the specific knife you are talking about. But I can tell you SOG makes very good knives. I have had their Seal Pup Model for several years!

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

It helps to hear that they are a reliable company, thanks

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

I've got two, an early model Tomcat, (no one-handed operation), and a Flash I partial serration. The Flash has good fit and finish, feels good in my hand. Two things I don't care for are the small pocket clip and the safety. Takes a while to get used to. The Buck 110 is generally regarded as the yardstick other folders are measured by. MHO, the Tomcat's every bit as good. It's as good a folder as you'll ever put in your hand.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

SOG has moved some of their production offshore and I have a Made in the USA policy on knives. I bought a Seal Pup a couple years ago and now I see what is on the shelves are all Made in Taiwan. I believe this model is as well. It is a good looking tactical style knife but my pick for a pocket knife is the Kersaw Leek.

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I've owned Flash II for at least a year or so. Works great, and it's quite well built for what I paid, which couldn't have been more than about $30.

7. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

Get the Buck 110 or 112 if you want a folder! You won't be sorry.

8. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

SOG is a very reputable company with a great product.

Gunny Approved... Nuff said.

9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Anything Gunny approved is fine for me! But for the Taiwan made, to me, it's better than China or Pakistan. IMO

10. fowlken

fowlken New Member

I have a Trident with the straight blade and I like it a lot!! I also know a man who is on his third one because he keeps losing them! He has the one with the serrations on part of the blade because of the work he does! Mine is easy to keep sharp and it opens easily and also has a lock for both open and closed positions! I also have a Seal Pup which I haven't used a lot but I do like it!

11. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I carry two SOG Tridents. My original Trident had the tip broken off due to stupidity of the idiot using it (me). I ground it into a faux tanto blade and shoved it in my off hand pocket. I stuck a new Trident in my right pocket. I've had the original one for about 4 years and the new one for about 2. Prior to the Trident, I carried a Flash II. It was tough and took a bit of a shock (cutting a fridge cord that was still plugged in). All it did to the blade/knife was burn the coating off the blade. My firefighter cousin carries that knife every shift at work now. So yes, SOGs are pretty handy in my book.

12. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Cool, thanks all, I'll look for one, if anywhere around me has them.

13. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

Same here, I only buy US made knives and guns. I'm also carrying a kershaw, mine is a stainless chive.
    EDIT: It's not that you can't get a quality foreign made knife, but I can't stand not supporting the men and women here in the US.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have a SOG multi tool, it is US made and a good knife/tool. I only buy US made as well. Also I am not a fan of serrated edge knives, I like a nice clean blade that I can sharpen to a razor.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. Jones25

Jones25 New Member

The trident is a great knife in my opinion. It's light sharp and a good length. The locking switch and the pocket clip are my dislikes. The lock is on the bottom... There's been times I've needed it quick and it would have screwed me over trying to unlock it. Also it takes some getting use to pulling it out of jean pockets. I still however carry it regularly and I'm very satisfied with the quality.

Attached Files:

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I guess I'm in the minority here, but SOG's reputation is that their materials and quality control are marginal. The blade in this knife is AUS8, which is serviceable but not great (although the type of steel is not definitely determinative of how well a knife will perform -- gotta have good heat treating also). Is it better than the $9.00 folder you can buy in the plastic and cardboard hanger at Wally World, but not a first rate knife. I would say check out the RAT 1 folding knife -- also AUS 8, but stronger construction and about half the price.

I had a couple of SOG's in my collection years ago, but sold them off as I wasn't satisfied with their performance.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  17. indy36

indy36 New Member

I carry a SOG Twitch Tanto XL and I love it. It's great. Better than my Spyderco Endura 4 or Kershaw.

image-3754870951.jpg

18. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Not saying its recommended, but on both of my tridents and my flash, I super glued the locking switch in the unlocked position. In 10 years or so, I've never had an issue with the knives open when they weren't supposed to. Once a year I reapply a bit of super glue and I am good to go.

19. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I had that same exact knife! I miss it so much had it taken away from me on my way back from Afghanistan. Apparently we weren't allowed to bring back spring loaded knives I'm envious of u brother

20. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have one and i like it a lot. Its one of my favorite good but affordable knives