Soda/Beer can alcohol burner

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by SSGN_Doc, Dec 3, 2020.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Anyone else build one or use one on the trail?

upload_2020-12-3_7-46-25.jpeg

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Been a while since Ive seen one. You make that one? If ya did, good job

SSGN_Doc and MisterMcCool like this.

3. SSGN_Doc

Thanks. Yes, I made it. It was my first attempt. I may do a thing or two a little differently next time. But it does seem to work pretty well. I may also try the “penny stove” version, which in theory seems even simpler to make.

4. SSGN_Doc

upload_2020-12-3_21-14-12.jpeg

Well, two different designs. And a few observations.

The first one, with the large central opening, has the advantage of being self priming an$ easy to light. Simply fill with denatured alcohol and get a good spark in the middle an it lights right up. Takes a bit under a minute to heat up and start vaporizing alcohol out the smaller jets around the outside. All of that flame puts off a lot of heat which will get a couple cups of water to a boil, pretty fast.

The downsides. It will burn that fuel up pretty fast.

The “Penny Stove” conserves fuel a bit and can get you a longer burn time. The down side is that this uses small ports in the center to fill the stove and allow you to light it, but if you don’t have a large amount of fuel in it, the fuel can be hard to start. You have to warm the whole stove to get the alcohol to vaporize and get the jets going. So, that means using a teaspoon or so of fuel around the stove to get it warmed up and get the jets going. So it is more work to get going. Then you cover the central ports with a penny and all fuel vapor burns at the jets.

Interesting and cheap little projects to test variations of the same basic idea. But both are super light weight, and each do put out some serious heat. Cheap and easy to keep in a bug out bag, etc.

towboater and Chainfire like this.
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have made them, using a bean can, before going out, and used the can to store the alcohol, and other cooking goodies. I have not made one that would produce the excellent flame that I see in your photos. That first one looks like it would make a cup of coffee before you could say, "don't do it."

towboater likes this.
  6. SSGN_Doc

the first burner does get my canteen cup and a little over a cup of water to a boil in around 5 minutes.

towboater likes this.