socom 16

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by vegasjeepguy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy New Member

Currently have an M1A and thinking of getting a SOCOM 16...any thoughts?

2. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

Socom

It's just plain to heavy, looks good but to heavy, oh, and to expensive, yes to heavy and to expensive!!!

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The gas system was significantly shortened in them. It has caused cycling issues in quite a few. I'd go with an AR chambered in 6.8mm or .308.

4. matt g

I really like the Scout Rifle concept and the M1A Scout/Squad is a good platform. You really don't have a much shorter barrel than you do with a full size M1A though. You might want to check out the Vltor or Sage stocks and put one of those on a full sized, or Scout model.

Vltor:
    [​IMG]

Sage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last Sage photo is on a Scout/Squad, the 2nd is on a full sized M14. The Vltor is on a SOCOM, so if you were to put it on a Scout/Squad, the barrel would be 6 inches longer. They look really slick.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  5. vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy New Member

If I go with an AR, then I'll go with 5.56. The idea of the SOCOM is interchangable mags with my M1A and .308. Thanks for the input.

6. full auto

full auto New Member

I have both the M1A and the SOCOM 16. The SOCOM has less recoil due to the excellent muzzle brake, and I haven't had any cycling issues at all. If I had to grab one rifle, I'd pick the SOCOM. Just my 2 cents.

7. matt g

What is the date of manufacture on it?