Firearms Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The gas system was significantly shortened in them. It has caused cycling issues in quite a few. I'd go with an AR chambered in 6.8mm or .308.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I really like the Scout Rifle concept and the M1A Scout/Squad is a good platform. You really don't have a much shorter barrel than you do with a full size M1A though. You might want to check out the Vltor or Sage stocks and put one of those on a full sized, or Scout model.

Vltor:

Sage:

The last Sage photo is on a Scout/Squad, the 2nd is on a full sized M14. The Vltor is on a SOCOM, so if you were to put it on a Scout/Squad, the barrel would be 6 inches longer. They look really slick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gas system was significantly shortened in them. It has caused cycling issues in quite a few. I'd go with an AR chambered in 6.8mm or .308.
If I go with an AR, then I'll go with 5.56. The idea of the SOCOM is interchangable mags with my M1A and .308. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have both the M1A and the SOCOM 16. The SOCOM has less recoil due to the excellent muzzle brake, and I haven't had any cycling issues at all. If I had to grab one rifle, I'd pick the SOCOM. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I have both the M1A and the SOCOM 16. The SOCOM has less recoil due to the excellent muzzle brake, and I haven't had any cycling issues at all. If I had to grab one rifle, I'd pick the SOCOM. Just my 2 cents.
What is the date of manufacture on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts