Sober 4 years

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by doctherock, Feb 27, 2011.

1. doctherock

doctherock New Member

This is a huge milestone for me. I learned to drink loads of alcohol in the Air Force and I did it well. I was up to a case of beer a night and that lasted for around a year before my crazy train derailed. I drank to forget but my sub conscious wouldn't let that happen. Sh1t happens in life, and no matter what you do to forget it, you just cant. My girlfriend at the time had the same issue. Her preference of drink was whiskey and coke. We both drank to forget, she was beaten by her boyfriend and received more of that from her ex husband. Lets just say it all came to a head one night in 2007. We both said things that set each other off and then the police showed up.

That was the best and worst night of my life. I feared I was going to soil my name and go to jail. Lucky for me the officers both knew what kind of man I really was and took that into consideration. After they left I pored a case of beer down the sink and never turned back. I made amends with my now wife and she too stopped drinking and never turned back.

I married her in August of 2007, bought a house and have been enjoying life. Work is better, life is great and sobriety was easy. I had no withdrawals with the exception of drinking about a case of water a day. I tell everyone I know in hopes they can deal with their addictions and not make all the BS excuses that get made when it comes time to quitting.

I will not lie, I smell a beer and my mouth waters but I know that I can never travel that road again. I have a demon inside that had to remain bound and alcohol only allows its chains to be freed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

3. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Good for you. Congrats!

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

Same here doc, congrats to you and your wife.

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Car. Best damned decision I have made in my 35 years of life.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Way to gut it out. I oftened worried about it in my Army days. We achieved legendary status pounding it down. A case apiece was a warm up for the night.

If I had the money I drank over the course of 6 years, I'd have no time for you guys, as I'd be steering my yacht.

Stick with it, don't look back.:cool:

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

If I do look back I only see a sh!tbag, therefore I wont go back to what I once was. I added it up and I was going through $600 to $800 a month. Way to much.

8. AusLach

AusLach New Member

BIG congrats Doc. To you and the wife.

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

10. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Good job Doc!!

I was doing the same thing to myself in the late 80's, I was actually drinking close to two cases of beer a day!! Well i quit for about seven years, now I can drink two or three(beers not cases) and be done..

I IS a tough row to hoe, but it is worth it!!

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Panda. Dont know that I will ever have another. My problem was I liked the taste so much.

12. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Me too.. Hold to your conviction Brother!

13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I most definitely will.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations Doc! :cool:

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Good on ya, Doc.

16. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

outstanding doc and bless you i must travel that road soon real soon close
    to 50 now gotta make a change. been pounding it down since 79 when i was working for uncle sugar. thanks my man keep pressing on