So you wanna be a quitter?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by trip286, Oct 25, 2012.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

Post your successes and challenges, and even failures, right here.

This is for those vices that you know are just dead weight that need to be trimmed from your life.

Tobacco (smoke and smokeless), alcohol, whatever. Eating junk food. Doesn't matter.

If it's been detrimental to your life, and you have quit, are quitting, or have tried to quit, then share your story.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Smoked my last cigarette on 16 March 2012. Had smoked with only minor interruptions from Nov 1984.
    Chantix works! But... it will screw with your mood, badly. I was an irritable SOB while I was on it. It's worth it, though.
    Junk Food? Life's too short to abandon ALL bad habits. You can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

3. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

I quit smoking cigs for a year and a half. Started back up when my parents got divorced almost two years ago. On and off struggle ever since.

4. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Soda was a biggie for me. I drank 4-5 cans a day for near 30 years. It has given me an ulcer and caused who knows what other harm. I gave it up about 3 months ago and I feel a ton better. Now I limit myself to one or two a week. People say it's nothing compared to tobacco, but I have never been addicted to that so I don't know. What I do know is that too much soda will rot a hole in your gut.

5. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

I hate smoking!!! I love smoking!!!

Easier to kick a fuggin drug habit than this!! I've "quit" a few times in the last few years. Made it 2 months once before I cheated. Was right back to the norm in 2 days after that.

Used gum, patch, & Wellbutrin. Patch worked best of those. Next is an appointment with a hypnotist. Last resort is chantrix. Planning on quitting being a Christmas gift to me and the fam. I'll be putting $3 a day in a jar as well to save for a reward on the 6 mo and 1 yr anniv.

Sicerely wish you the best of luck, trip!!

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I started this thread because it's recently come up in another. And I noticed that several others have been in the same boat, or are trying, and have had, or are having, a hard time.

I started smoking occasionally when I was 14. I was one of those stressed out teens. I had a job, school, and a girlfriend, and nothing ever seemed to be going right.

By 16 I was smoking a pack a day. I joined the Marine Corps at 17, got married and had a kid eventually, went overseas a couple of times, finished my contract, had trouble finding jobs because the economy was just starting to take it's downturn. Bills kept piling up.

So, the cost of smoking was rising. So was the cost of gas, food, and everything in between.

I found cheaper ways to smoke. Rolling my own, cranking them out on a machine, and with a pipe. So I was saving money in a way. I look at it now, most recently it's been taking me about 80 cents to a dollar to make a full pack, versus anywhere from 2-6 dollars for a pack of brand name smokes, and my preferred brand is around $5.15ish.

My ex degraded me over smoking, and that didn't help matters any. It just pissed me off.

But, as I mentioned in the other thread where I brought this up to begin with, my son has been asking me to quit. My girlfriend doesn't smoke. No one in my family smokes anymore.

So, this past Sunday, the 21st, when I ran out of filtered cigarette tubes to make smokes with, I just made the choice to not go buy anymore. I had my last cigarette sometime around 5-7 PM that evening.

I've been pissed off and hungry.

7. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

One Marlboro Red, even after a month on not smoking will throw you right back under the bus. :(

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Keep your bacon. It's not junk food, it's a miracle from the heavens.

9. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

Hey good for you man! I hope you can keep the habit at bay. Think of all the accessories you can justify purchasing...it will add up over time.:)

10. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

A 12 pack a day of Mountain Dew and dont plan on quitting I'm 19 6 ft 142 lbs soaking wet

11. astroman

Yikes! In 40 years from now you might be drinking a 12 pack of Prune Juice per day just to balance your plumbing system:eek::D

12. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

Maybe so but til then drink on

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

My ex brother in law drank a six pack a day and now has no teeth at 30 years old.

There is no "regular" soda (meaning, excluding energy drinks and specialty sodas), that has as much sugar and acid as mountain dew.

You should consider this. Also, as a smoker being worried about his breath constantly, I noticed that mountain dew made mine even worse. You know your breath is kickin when you don't even want to breathe because you can smell it yourself.

And then again, all of us knew everything when we were teens ;)

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

12 pack a day? Enjoy your Diabetes. Less "if," than "when."
    Dude, eat something. 142lbs? WTF.

15. astroman

I think an "intervention" is in order! From now you must only drink beer, milk, or juice, and you must only eat McDLTs, old style McD apple pies, and LOTS of bacon (and not that Canadian crap either):D

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

How bout lifting weights, eattin a lot of deer/elk meat/ mash taters w gravy, and workin hard manual labor instead of sittin on the couch w an xbox controller in hand?

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My quittin is an on again off again thing. I quit for 2 years after I got back from iraq. I picked it back up recently and I'm doing a can a day now

ForumRunner_20121025_121344.jpg

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My neighbor down the street had a severe alcohol problem many years ago. He'd be staggering drunk by noon. He also smoked. He joined AA and has been sober for about 20 years. He also quit smoking a few years after he quit drinking. He said quitting smoking was by far much more difficult than getting sober. I found that a very profound and revealing statement considering how serious an alcoholic this man was.

Don't worry. I believe that weight situation will change as you get older. But, DAMN, that's thin.

19. fmj

fmj New Member

Ummm here to tell you it IS a drug habit!! Nicotine is the most potent and addictive drug known to man!

This is my 14th year clean of that shyt!! (Used to smoke 1 -2 packs of Camels a day...3-4 depending on the beer/whiskey consumption) Did it cold turkey. Just make up you damn mind that you WANT to quit and you will. PERIOD!

And yes, all it takes is 1 and your done. Myself and 3 buddies went and got hypnotized, i was the only one that made it more than 6 hours clean...went 1 year without...then one of my best friends died, then my dad died a month later. Was offered a camel at the funeral home and i accepted...one of the dumbest thing i ever did. By the end of the week i was back to 2 packs a day. 9 months later is when i said "piss on this" and went cold turkey...aint EVER going back.

Try accupuncture....i have a friend that tried it and it has worked for her well.

But NOTHING is gonna work if you dont have the WANT and WILL to do so!

My big personal thing know is getting back to the gym full time and losing the extra pounds and getting into some sembalence of shape....Imagine that! A certified personal fitness trainer thats fat and out of shape!

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Reminds me of a story.

Years ago my Mom and my brother both smoked. My brother wanted to quit, my Mom didn't. My brother heard of a hypnotist that was coming to town and was going to hypnotize a small stadium full of people to quit smoking. My Mom thought it was a bunch of BS and that she could not get hypnotized but she agreed to go so my brother would quit smoking.

Turns out my Mother never picked up a cigarette again and after about 2 weeks, my brother tried a cigarette and took up smoking again.

I can tell you, getting hypnotized works..........even for my Mother who swore it was a bunch of BS. My brother said the cigarettes tasted awful, as the hypnotist suggested to the crowd but he just kept trying cigarettes until the suggestion wore off.