So you think you can quick draw?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by oldgrunt, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Quick

That man is very quick. An excellent vid.
    Thanks

2. SecPro

SecPro New Member

:eek::eek: That is some way cool ****!!

3. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Greased lightening comes to mind.:D

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

He's fast but he's a bit of a d-bag if you ask me....

5. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

I tend to agree. He's fast and he KNOWS it.
    Did anyone notice the hammer on his Colt. Made for that kind of work.
    Kim

6. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

I am not sure that he is honest about the number of records he holds. There was some guy up north that was the fastest draw and held several records for doing such and this has been in the last 10 years.

7. Bob Munden is fast.

However, in all fairness to reality, the 'sport' of Fast Draw is a very specialized stunt and nothing more. The guns are modified to the point of being nearly useless for anything else and the holsters are similar.

I've seen Mr. Munden's show in person a couple times now - I used to shoot End of Trail regularly - and he is also a very competent pistol shooter aside from the Fast Draw stuff. However, he never won the End of Trail match when I was active. (Nor did I, in the spirit of honesty.)

This sort of shooting - which is very fun - has even less application to real life than PPC or IPSC shooting. Any kind of real life; self-defense or hunting rabbits.

8. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

Practicality has nothing to do with this type of exhibition. I have shot bullseye competition for years and a 2700 outdoor match includes shooting at 50 yards. I have my doubts that this fellow could hit the paper at 50 yards even if he was shooting slow.
    But his exhibition (I hesitate to call it shooting) is impressive. I'd have a hard time shooting that fast even with my semi-autos.
    Kim

(You notice the three "OLD" guys involved in this conversation).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. utf59

utf59 New Member

If you get the Outdoor Channel, there's a show called Impossible Shots that includes Bob Munden as a regular shooter. I've never seen him do any quickdraw work on the show. It may be that he's given that up (the video posted above is pretty old). Here's a video of him shooting a balloon at 200 yards with a snubbie. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk]YouTube - Bob Munden -- Impossible 200 Yard Shot[/ame]

If you don't get the Outdoor Channel, you can find plenty of other videos of him on YouTube.

BTW, if you watch the video from the OP, you'll notice that he doesn't actually draw before shooting the two balloons. He puts the gun in the holster. Then he takes it out and fiddles with the cylinder. Then he moves it vertical as if he's reholstering, but quickly pulls it up and shoots. It's still impressive to get two shots off that fast, but...

10. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

Bob Munden is also one of those "old" guys. Now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  11. JonM

JonM Moderator

he is stupid fast but he isnt accurate. that part is a stage trick. the reason he uses ballons is that the burning powder residue from the blank cartridge sprays a cone some 3 odd feet in diameter with hot particles. he wouldnt be able to hit the target that fast if it was a can bottle clay pigeon etc using real bullets. blanks have no recoil. he would never get a second shot that fast with a real bullet.

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Bob Munden is fast and accurate. I have seen him do live round fast draw and he does hit what he is shooting at. He is also a great all around shot with pistol and rifle. Know your facts before you speak.

Jim..............

13. jackg

jackg New Member

Regardless of all the bashing, it's really entertaining to watch.:D

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There's an old expression: "It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

I'm not enamored of his personality, but the man can shoot fast and accurately.

15. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

HOLY COW!!!! And I saw him shoot and split a playing card in 2 sideways so he IS accurate.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

D-bag really called it. But when you can back up what you claim, should you really be required to be nice about it?

17. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

Twisted, that sound a lot more realistic

18. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

I'm not 100% sure what this has to do with Bob Munden, but I had to reply anyway. Unless my old, frazzled mind is in worse shape than I thought, a .45 acp fmj will knock em down with a lot more authority than any 9mm fmj, neither of which are "specialty" loads. Of course when you start talking "specialty" loads, either one will do ya good, IF ya hit what yer aimin' at.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010