So why is everyone still hoarding ammo????

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by eborden1122, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am just asking this question in general because it seems that allot of people are still buying and hoarding ammo like it is never going to be made anymore. Why all the hoarding? Am I missing something here? Why all the craziness over ammo? I cant even find 9mm or 45acp bullets for target practice.

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

People are over reacting.

I havent bought any ammo dring the craze just sold a few cases.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I also havent bought any since sandy hook, i have a good supply already.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I haven't bought any ammo either.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I would imagine after seeing empty shelves for a few months it is going to take a reasonable amount of time for people to calm down about ammo.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Before sandy hook I would go out and shoot a box and then swing by the store after and buy 2 boxes. Now I go out and shoot a box and I am lucky to find a box of ammo later.

As far as the hoarding goes, I do know of at least one hoarder. Got a friend who has bought tens of thousands of rounds in the last two months and like 6 AR's.

If any sort of ban ever does come down the pipe, which I doubt it ever will, the civilian market is probably so saturated right now that we are stocked up enough.

7. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thats what amazes me the most. There is no threat that drastic anywhere in the US where someone would need to stockpile ammo and to continue to do so is almost borderline nutty. I agree with the other poster that there has defintely been an over-reaction. I am glad that the majority of the stores I have been to have a 3 box max purchase, if not some paranoid prepper would be buying the entire lot for a day that will never come.

8. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I ain't hording sheet. As a matter of a fact, I've depleted quite a few rounds of my own lately.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Umm, didn't you answer your own question and pretty much debunk everyone else's rationalization that there's nothing to see here? Move along. Move along...

U need something to put in those 2.2 Million (a new record) December NICS-checked guns sold. 2 Million each month since I believe. Over-reaction? Not!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The problem is not just the hoarders. When u have the government buying up billions of rounds straight from manufacturers
    It creates a bit more of a shortage than just the hoarders because they are filling gov. Orders before its hitting the shelves.
    Now saying that I'm still getting ammo from my dealer at regular prices but its taking him forever to get his orders.

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I was an ammo hoarder before everything went crazy and I will be an ammo hoarder after everything calms down. It is about being prepared. I haven't bought hardly ammo since it has gone crazy but I have picked up reloading as a hobby and have laid in quite a bit of a stockpile of components.

I don't like to be the guy who wants to go shooting and has to stop and pickup ammo on the way. I load some out of the stockpile and replace it later when I run into a good price.

12. Jericho1911u22

Jericho1911u22 New Member

I switched calibers so I have been buying ammo for the new caliber. Traded my 9mm glock for a .45ACP 1911. I pick up .22LRs when I see them for a good price but mostly just stocking up on the new caliber. I have plenty of 9mm for my baby eagle. Not enough to pop off a box when shooting but I have enough defense rounds in 9mm.

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

Every week, on Friday, I go to this gun store/range and buy 2 boxes of 9mm, the limit on what you can buy per day. It's $17.99 per box of 50 bullets, Lawman 115 grain FMJ. I do this for 2 reasons...one, because I shoot and I have to have some...and two, because no other store has 9mm at all so I feel obligated to get some since I can. The feeling is that one day this store won't have anymore, or the gov will outlaw it or tax it or make me jump through hoops to get it...which might be a stupid thought, but no other store has any so there is still 'fear' involved in the buying decision. Let's face it, while $17.99 might be $4 too high based on a year ago prices who is to say next year it won't be $34 a box.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

When once again I'm able to walk into store and feel reasonably certain there will be at least some ammo to chose from if I come back the next day I wouldn't feel so obligated to buy what I can right then.

15. AR10

AR10 New Member

It is due in part to people buying it up and selling it again at a double triple price on places like gun broker.

If people would quit paying the inflated prices, it would go back to normal.

16. Kraj

Kraj New Member

The problem is everyone that buys ammo is buying whatever they can find. So the guy that walks in after them everyday for 2 months thinks that there hasn't been any ammo in for a really long time. So he buys it when he sees it. If no bought any ammo for a month there would be plenty again. I think if no one bought rounds for 2-3 times what they cost 4 months ago people wouldn't buy out stores with hopes of making a profit.

I've bought one box of. 40 since all this started..

17. AR10

AR10 New Member

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

I am beyond sick of this sh!t.... People need to chill out and quit paying these stupid prices so there's something on the shelves. I can't even buy 100 rounds every Friday anymore cause it's not there!!! So tired of it

19. Colby

Colby New Member

They are buying it because they are afraid they might not be able to get it in the future --- and the future seems like now, even - because they can't get it.
    Pretty simple.
    They line up to get in at gun shows - so they can get over to the ammo vendors and line up there. Vendors have told me that some of the people are getting pretty nasty.

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I just bought a Ruger 22/45 in order to save $$ at the range. Now I can't find .22lr. I guess I'll REALLY save some $$ now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.