so who makes a good quality out-the-box AR-15?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by trx680, Oct 31, 2008.

1. trx680

trx680 New Member

If I were to buy a new STOCK AR-15 and didn't want to be dissapointed with the quality or craftsmanship or accuracy....what brand/model would you prefer?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

How picky are you? How much money do you have to spend? Most of the manufacturers out the make an AR that works.

3. vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy New Member

I'm a lefty, so I went with a Stag Arms left handed 2T (brass ejects from the left rather than the right side). Very pleased with this weapon, so much so, that I bought a second one.

4. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

What will disappoint you or Dillinger, bkt, or junho, or other people on this site in regards to quality, accuracy, and workmanship might not disappoint me. Also, what is "stock"? Any AR these days is almost guarranteed to be "custom" built because there are so many options and variations to every single component.

Makes this a tough question to answer because there are so many variables........ :confused:

5. trx680

trx680 New Member

well, if I went to the Gander Mountain or another gun dealer and bought one off the shelf?

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

What's your budget and what do you expect the rifle to do?

7. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Figure out what your budget is, stick to it, then go out and find something you like that fits that number, fits you (as far as stock, pistol grip, length of pull, weight, doo-dads and doo-hickeys)

Do a little searching on-line and you'll find the manufacturer names that tend to pop often. Usually a little further searching will also tell you the pros-cons, QA issues, etc.

But for the most part, you could walk in to any gun store today, see something you like, lay down the plastic/paper/coins and walk out with a very good AR that will serve you well.

Asking a question like that usually ends up in the Chevy-vs-Ford-vs-Chrysler-vs-all the rest type of debates and choices. You really can't go wrong with most of today's models.

Slo

8. bkt

bkt New Member

That's kind of like asking "If I were to buy a new STOCK vehicle and didn't want to be disappointed with the quality or craftsmanship or mileage....what brand/model would you prefer?"

What do you want to do with it?

When I've seen ARs at Gander Mountain, they're usually pretty expensive...like $1400 for a plain vanilla configuration. I'd recommend against that; you can build or buy a better rifle for a lot less.

Do you want to do competition shooting? Do you want a varmint gun? Carbine?

9. trx680

trx680 New Member

I'd most likely use it for long range target shooting, not close-up plinking but 100+ yard target and maybe varmit. So a bull barrel would be appropriate? And a scope....what else?

10. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Stag or Rock River would be my first choice for an off the shelf average priced good working gun.

11. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

The bull barrel isn't a necessity, but it does help if you do alot of shooting. I have 18" to 24" set ups in both bull barrel and non-bull barrel that do great out to 600 yards. Most are set up with bipods and a scope. It all depends on your needs, what caliber, how mobile you want the set up to be, etc.

There are some very accurate AR set ups out there, that you can buy right over the counter. Some are very affordable, and require little to fine tune them to the point of being competitive in matches.

I picked up a DPMS not long ago at a garage (estate) sale, with a 24" bull barrel in 1:8 twist, free floated tube, dropped in a Chip McCormick trigger group, Nikon 4-20x tactical scope, Harris bipod, and am still into this particular piece less than $900 and it will group less than 1 moa @ 100 yards all day long with factory ammo. With match ammo, I am still shooting moa out to 4-500 yards, and less than 1.5moa @ 600! ;) Oh yeah....I'm not supposed to be able to do that with a DPMS product :eek: :D

Depending on what over the counter constitues, I also have a Noveske upper and lower that I bought over the counter that will do that, too. But I paid almost 2x that for the Noveske.

Slo

12. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Add to this list: CavArms, LMT and Sabre and you've pretty much covered the solid performing middle priced platforms.

My weapons are:

5.56 Colt 16" HBAR upper
    5.56 RRA/Colt 16" hybrid lightweight upper
    6.5 Sabre 18" Upper
    5.56 MSTN/Noveske 12.5" Crusader upper

1 Dedicated RRA 9mm rifle (good for training/indoor ranges)

My lowers are:

LMT SOPMOD Match
    Sundevil Billet Lightweight (assembled and tuned by me)

I simply swap the upper that I need onto one of the lowers depending on my needs for the day/issue. No need to have 50 rifles, I only have 2 hands.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  13. Fayettedave

Fayettedave New Member

I've got two 5.56 Sabre 16" M4s. I love 'em.

14. Bighead

Bighead New Member

First you need to figure out your pricepoint. Then learn what features you find desirable in your rifle, and look for the brand that offers the most features at your pricepoint.

Here are some manufacturers that I would consider complete guns out-of-the-box:

Colt (Model 6920)
    Noveske
    LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool)
    Sabre Defence
    CMMG
    Stag
    Bushmaster
    Rock River Arms

CMMG & Rock River are my choices because of the value. You can order a well made rifle for a reasonable price and equip with a variety of options.

15. ArmyGuyinAK

ArmyGuyinAK New Member

Just a quick admin note about Left vs. Right hand AR's. As a service member, I can tell you that it doesnt matter if it's left or right handed from a firing perspective. There is a deflecter built into the back of the ejection port that deflects the brass away from the face of left handed shooters' face. You can get a lefty, but unless it's for aesthetics, save the $100. As for what brand of AR... I have a Bushmaster XM 15 (M-4 Clone) and like it. However, were I to do it over again, I would not hesitate to buy a Rock River Arms model. The reason, RRA installs competition triggers in their rifles and sells them for roughly the same price as my Bushy... Smith and Wessons mid to upper level AR's are nice and wont break the bank. If you are looking for an A-2 style hunting platform, it's hard to go wrong with the Remington, price is right and it's built by Bushmaster!

Jerry

16. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I agree with ArmyGuyinAK about the left handed uppers. I have been to training that required shooting from the off side and have fired hundreds of rounds left handed from a standard configuration weapon with no brass in the face issues.

17. Humdinga

Humdinga New Member

I just picked up a Bushmaster XM-15 ES2. This is the first gun i've ever owned. I'm new to the gun world, but my cousin who is law enforcement has 2 Bushmasters and a Smith & Wesson with some law enforcement upgrades really likes the Bushmasters.

I can't wait to go to the range with it on Monday.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the Forum - I don't know if we have done that yet.

Congrats on joining the Evil Black Rifle Club. The Bushmaster is a good choice. A few subtle mods and you should have yourself a great SHTF weapon.

Obviously I would suggest getting your hands on several good quality magazines and stock up on some ammo so you can practice, practice, practice...

JD

19. Humdinga

Humdinga New Member

Thanks for the welcome. What mods would you make on it?

I have a good amount of ammo. I just need some mags for it. The gunshop wants 30 dollars for one mag!

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The three big things I think are important on any AR are:

1) A good trigger. Either an after market drop in, or a tuned trigger done by a professional. A good trigger leads to more accurate rounds on target. Period.

2) A Free Floated forend. Keeps heat down and keeps any sling tension from affecting accuracy.

3) A good set of folding, back up sights in the event your optics go south for whatever reason.

Obviously several good, reliable magazines and lots and lots of practice...

JD