So which brand of 1911 is the Best?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by danf_fl, Mar 13, 2014.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

We hear it all the time, and there are plenty of answers to that question that some agree with and others not.

Everyone has an opinion.

Not taking in consideration the actual cost, length of warranty, items covered by warranty, I present you with my top 5 choices:
    1. Ed Brown (any Ed Brown 1911)
    2. Dan Wesson
    3. Les Baer
    4. Springfield Armory
    5. Colt

These would be my top 5. There are others that would be included if the list was extended to 10:

6. Wilson Combat
    7. Fusion Firearms
    8. S&W
    9. and 10. Kimber (gasp) and RIA (tied)

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Well,
    I really like my,
    Colt Gov. Mdl. 1911A1.
    Almost bought another make later on.
    But, Nothing, In my eyes and heart would compare to my Colt.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

3. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have never owned a Springfield but 2 people i know have had them for years. They both rave about the service every time they have a problem. To me problems are not good things no matter how well you deal with them. Completely anecdotal, but there it is. Kudos to Springfield for fixing any issues that arise.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, pretty much a subjective question. lots of it depends on what price range you have to play with when you buy a 1911. what features you want in a 1911 at a given price point determines what choices are available a well.

best 1911 IMo would be one that delivers excellent performance and reliablity, has a good warranty, if the need were ever to arise with it having a problem, one that met the balance between price and features and was pleasing to the eye.

in no particular order, but these would be my choices.

1. Colt.
    2. Springfield Armory.
    3. Dan Wesson.
    4. Nighthawk Custom.
    5. Wilson Combat.

with honorable mentions to these.

6. RIA.
    7. MetroArms.
    8. STI.
    9. Remington.
    10. Ruger.

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

No mention of the sig here guys. Sig 1911s are very nice and the service is very good as well. Depending on what is needed the lead time may vary but if it breaks they will fix it no matter what.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. Original

Original Member

I like the ones I have done at home, fitting, slicking, finishing. Use excellent parts, careful, mindful, exacting, then it comes together to be what I want in performance, at this time I am getting a frame and slide cast in Titainium, .45 Double stack mags @20rnd each. It'll be a Big'un and fairly light.

7. phildenton

phildenton New Member

while many purists may condemn me for saying these, but I would have to say the astra double stack da/sa and the similar para from years back are my favorites.

8. ChrisH67

ChrisH67 New Member

Anyone have any opinion on STI 1911's? I just watched a video by Shooting USA on the STI's.

9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I don't own one, but have heard tons of good things about STI's guns and service. Sounds like a good outfit to do business with. If I add another 1911 in the future STI is high on my list of brands to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Wilson Combat
    Nighthawk
    STI
    SA guns from the custom shop.
    Ed Brown.

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm with you on Sig. I love mine. It has functioned the way I need it to from the first round out of the box, and I have seen no sign that that will change any time soon. Luckily I can't comment on their customer service. I've never needed it.

12. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Les Baer without a question

EZ

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

1.Any gun from any of the big name custom 1911 shops

2.Dan Wessons and STI's

3.In no particular order... Everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. There are so many good 1911's that you'd have to define "best" before you could make any kind of a list - and whether that includes custom gunsmiths.

In semi-customs no one has mentioned:

Infinity (SVI)
    Guncrafter
    Volkmann
    Pistol Dynamics

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The best brand does not mean the best individual pistol. To me the best brand is the one ranging from truly budget guns to competition grade, and you can equally trust any product bearing its name. That rules out the super-labels like Ed Brown, or the excellent middle-of-the-road SIG line, or simply smaller players such as Ruger.

I would nominate Springfield Armory, for the widest range of 1911's and their consistent quality.

16. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Excellent point!

Didn't think of it like that,my old dan wesson VBOB (only gun I ever regret getting rid of) was the nicest gun I've ever owned or shot,and is definantly more gun than my springer loaded target (still love that springer though). But springfield in my mind is THE 1911 manufacturer in my mind. I'm not quite sure what I mean when I think "THE 1911 manufacturer" but I believe it has something to do with the vast amount of models they carry,combined with the level of quality and value all of their guns have,and the length of time they have been in the 1911 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Axxe55

SA also carries a lot of different models in various price ranges as well. plus add in their custom shop and the number of models just increases.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on what your doing with it. A range/target/competition/self defense all have different needs.

Since I carry 1911 for sd mine are colt.

I choose colt because they are closest to jmb's design parameters

19. Axxe55

very good point Jon. the criteria for the intended use is much different.

i find that many of the SA 1911's follow the JMB design pretty close as well.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Simple... Best 1911 is the Ford F150! :mad: