So- where have you been to LATELY?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Oct 5, 2010.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Me? Well, this afternoon, I overflew Area 51, checked out the housing for the folks cleaning up bombs in Kahoolawe, HI, looked in on the house that was my lady's childhood home in Cornwall (UK), had a look at Downtown Havana Cuba, and looked at the waterfall that runs off the cliff into the sea at Tristan De Cunha- the most remote occupied place in the world.

Yeah, been fooling around with Google Earth. If all you have ever done is look at your house, do some exploring. You can see individual tourists getting sunburned in Wakiki, see the aircraft on the deck of a carrier in Norfolk- and scope out hunting and fishing spots. Or a trail to hike, and a spot to camp.

Photos get updated from time to time (ones of my house are 3 weeks old- just had new rock put in driveway, it shows) and I am amazed at how well mapped some of the REALLY remote places are (Falkland Islands).

So- where have you never been that you would like to? The Eiffel Tower? Red Square in Moscow? Buenos Aires? Hwy 17 in Vietnam? (not again, thanx). Basic Google Earth is free, easy to use. Have fun.

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, the best damn search and locate, geographical familiarization landmark, recon tool there is, especially good for them unplanned mission assaults. ;) :D

3. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Google earth is a great time killer that just sucks you in. I've spent hours searching Iran and russia.

4. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Yeah you can also get a street level view of most places too.
    How does one get a job driving a camera around to photograph those shots, or is that all done by satellite too?:confused:

5. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I use it for hiking and fishing all of the time. I also use it to get a rough estimate of how far I hiked.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have been to the Taj Mahal and the Forbidden City.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gordo- they have a truck that mounts multiple cameras in plexi bubbles- you drive camera snaps every so many feet.

BTW, just for grins, search for Polyarny. You can zoom in, and count the Soviet missle subs docked there.

I took my lady on a street level tour of the village (Calstock) where she grew up, on the border between Devon and Cornwall. You can zoom in on the flowers in the window boxes, and there are even a couple of ladies chatting in their front garden- teacups in hand.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Did you guys know that you can go into flight mode and fly around like an airplane? It is a really cool feature of google earth.

I got tasked with installing google earth on every computer in my school. So I spent some time playing with it.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Google earth scares me.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've been nowhere lately.My wife on he other hand got a chance to perform at the World Equestrian Games in Lexington. She's a clog dancer and actually got invited to do three shows in two days. Most acts had to send in audition tapes but one of the big wigs had seen them clog at the horse park a while back.She did two shows Tues. and has one more Sunday. She has a show
    Friday too but I"m not sure where.THey could only take a few vehicles adnI didn't think it was right t o take up space a clogger could use to perform at a once in a life time gig. I'm very proud of them all, my wife especially. You see she was diagnosed with crippeling arthritis at the age of eight. They said just wait till she made it to 18 and she could file for SSDI. Being an old school countrygirl she said she was not giving up till she couldn't walk. 18 years later she still works full time as SRNA/CNA at the local hospital. She's one tough lady. It's hard not to respect that kind of drive.

Oh..And I love getting on street view on Google too.I can come right up my road and see our houses. It's pretty wild. I'd tell you the name of my road but I would never live it down. I think only one member here knows and I don't think he's talking.:eek:

11. CGO

CGO New Member

I've been to Scotland a few times. And went back to check out my old house in CA. It kinda made me sad cause they haven't taken care of the place.

For my next trip I'm heading to the Netherlands.:)