So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Jesse17, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've always carried a Buck 110 on my belt. I have one case and two knifes. For every day use I use my 'new' Buck 110 (6 or 7 years old) for hunting/camping activities I Cary my old Buck 110 (about 20 years old, with a broken tip that I filed round and sharpened)

Other than being a PITA to sharpen the first time, due to their concave edge, I think they're great. Yet, I never see anyone mention using one at all on here. In fact, it seems that if you don't Cary a Kershaw <SP> you don't Cary a knife, according to this forum.

So, I guess I'm really asking what's so different about the knifes you'all carry vs. a made in America Buck?

Another question: The Bucks I've owned all were made in America, and had a little Bible verse in the box. My wife bought me a fixed blade (decorative - in my opinion) Buck knife about 4 or 5 years ago. It was made in China or something like that, and contained no little slip of paper with a Bible verse. Did Buck change ownership? or just their American Patriot attitude?

2. JNA

JNA New Member

I got to use a Buck 110 around a year ago, and I didnt like it that much. I dont know why, but the 4 inch blade just feels sort of unfamiliar and I guess short [I have a knife with a 5.5 inch blade which I think is excellent. Not to mention it was hand made in Serbia].

EDIT: I suggest you should try using a Kizlyar Orlan. It is really a great knife, and is excellent fo military AND hunting purposes [And the blade is 140mm [5.5 inch] long, so if I could get one it would be perfect for me. I wouldn pay more than AUD$120 for one, so I guess for you American cowboys it would cost around 45-60 bucks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I think buck knives are good knives. But the 110 just never felt right to me. It was always to big for the pocket and not big enough for the belt. I don't like having a knife in a sheath on my belt.

Is it a good knife yes It is just not right for me. Thats all.

4. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Absolutly nothing wrong with the good old Buck 110. It is one of the most popular "USED" knives around. Here in the rural west it is very popular with construction -rancher types. However Im a Case man myself.

5. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Does anyone know anything about the little Bible verse that used to come in the box? There wasn't one in the last Buck I got.

I am wondering if they changed philosophy's, ownership, or what?

6. JNA

JNA New Member

Well, maybe it isnt actually a 'buck' knife. Seeing as it is made in China it might be a fake, cheap version.

Of course, id prefer the one with no bible versus. But then again, thats a whole different topic under my atheist views :)

7. Rimfire McNutjob

Rimfire McNutjob New Member

What does a bible verse have to do with a knife? So what if it comes with one. If you don't like it don't read it. But then again you call yourself an atheist. So a good well made knife by a person that loves god and country shouldn't be wasted on a OK I am going to shut up now.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

JNA, I'm seeing a pattern to your posts that is rather negative. You've used the term "American cowboys" a number of times and in a manner that isn't very respectful.

Now, I don't know if that's because of a language problem or not. But if it's not and you are being disrespectful, I suggest you find somewhere else to do so.

9. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I carry a Buck Nighthawk on my side everyday. Put it through hell and back. Use it as a hammer, prybar, screwdriver and other things. I also carry a S&W SO assisted opener in my pockett. I carried a Buck 110 for about 5 years and retired that one.

10. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I believe a Buck 110 is a must in any knife collection, I've got a few, my favourite is the version sold by Cabela's which has a fantastic S30V blade instead of the usual 420hc one. I think I payed around $60 for it.

However, the regular version is quite good as well. Especially once you factor in the price. I've got lots of more expensive knives with fancy materials, custom pieces by several bladesmiths, and the good old 110 still manages to compete for some belt time.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

+1 on the Nighthawk. Probably the oldest in my collection, I have abused it well beyond warranty, and it won't even chip, let alone break.

The 110 has iconic status, and there's nothing wrong with it. But because it has remained unchanged, it's not going to generate alot of discussion.

12. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've never been a "knife guy" but have carried a Buck 110 since I was 11 or so. I broke the tip on my first one, Buck replaced it free of charge. I broke the tip again, and was too embarised to let Buck replace it again (I was abusing the knife both times). So I 'ground' (with a wet stone and file) the tip to a nice rounded/sharpened blunt tip.

My next Buck 110 was a 100th annivarsary edition ( I think it was 100 years, maybe 75 or 110). This is my daily carry/show knife. When I go into the woods camping or hunting, I carry the old 110 with the rounded tip.

I've used both for hammers, and have saved more than one camping trip by being the only one with a knife that could turn a small tree into a tent pole.

Needless to say, I love the Buck 110 and could/might spend my entire life with nothing else, but I stated this thread wanting to know "Why do you chose another knife over a Buck?"

Please don't hold back. This thread was meant as an educational thread. If there is some great disadvantage to Bucks, or advantage to other brands, I want to know what it is.

13. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Well as you can see JD I have abused this one past all abuse! I do have my sharp shave a gnats arse knife that I carry on me, but this one is my "multi-tool"

[​IMG]

14. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

As I said before, I'm a fan of the Buck 110, but I know it's not perfect. It has a few disadvantages from a purely practical point of view:

-It's quite heavy. I'm not going to deny the aesthetic appeal of brass and wood, but there are lighter materials which are just as strong (if not stronger) and easier to mantain.

-420, in any of it's variants, is not a very impressive steel. Buck does a great job with their heat treatment, and the 110's blade geometry is very efficient; but there are much better steels out there (and not just on expensive knives). That's why I love the Cabela's and Custom Shop versions, which have much better blade steels (S30V, BG42).

-The blade's tip is too thin. I'm not one to use a folding knife as a pry bar, screwdriver or anything like that, but still the needle thin point on the 110 is frail. I can't remember how many re-ground 110's I've seen.

-Although it can be opened with one hand with some practice, it's not a true one hand opening knife.

However, knives are a very subjective. I could argue that something like a Spyderco Endura or Benchmade Griptilian is a better knife (better steel, one hand opening, much lighter, with a pocket clip and stronger tips), but that doesn't mean that the Buck 110 is a poor choice. It's all about what you use it for and what you like.

I like traditional slipjoints with carbon steel blades a lot, I enjoy using them and won't toss them out just because there are "better" things out there. Besides self defense, they are up to any task a folding knife should be used for. The dark patina on the blades, and the deep rich coulour of the bone handles has much more character than the G10 handles and shiny blades on my modern folders.

15. rusherbob

rusherbob New Member

broken tip

Why haven't you had the blade replaced? for free! Buck knives are guarunteed for ever. I broke the corkscrew on my buck whitaker. sent it off, got a new one back. unless it has sentimental value.

16. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have never owned a Buck. I don't know why... I guess I never had an opportunity to get one. I do have Case, Benchmade, and Cold Steel... but no Buck! I suppose it's time to look for one.

17. Gubba

Gubba New Member

Buck used to be made in Michigan, but it seems to me that they went out of business a few years ago. It's really hard to keep up with Brand names any more as the names get purchased by anyone and sometimes they keep quality and sometimes they don't.

18. jdgeroy

jdgeroy New Member

I carried a Buck 110 for years and loved it. It was stolen from my luggage while travelling back in the 90s. I missed that knife so much, I never replaced it, carried Gerber until they left the USA then Kershaw. I think I will replace it now.

19. markerdown

markerdown New Member

I carried one in the '70s until it got stolen. The AF replacement was made by schrade. My roomate in AF tech school swore by his buck and the edge it had.

On a $50 bet (not with me) he attempted to shave with his. Hack up his face pretty good and almost got an article 15. :eek:...........markerdown

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  20. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

for the guys wondering about the bible verse included with a buck knife.I just bought one today and it had it in there. although it was in a old country store and may have been on the shelf awhile.