So what should I expect

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by loctite44144, Jan 12, 2013.

1. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Next weekend I'm going for my CCW I have been shooting for for about a year and a half now like what goes on in the classroom or on the range

2. fupuk

fupuk New Member

What state are you in? Here in Michigan the class was full of good information and honestly the range time was boring. Pay attention in class and take as many notes as you can and ask alot of questions.

3. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

In KY it's a long video detailing the laws - verbatim. The instructor will stop and touch on specifics and answer questions. I'm glad you took the time to practice and then get your CCW. My class had way too many folks that didn't even know the basics about their firearm, much less visit a range prior to the day of the class. In fact, most had to get help taking their pistol apart to clean it prior to the qualification.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

In class, just listen and pay attention and you will have no problem, ask questions if not clear to you. The shooting part is basic and easy, just keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

5. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Live in Ohio

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I cannot tell you what it's like in Ohio, but in Oregon it was a person talking about what to and not to do should you ever be involved in a gun fight. Mostly revolved around covering your tush and saying nothing to the cops other than lawyering up. Also when it's legal to use your firearm and how to ensure any possible jury understands the need for you doing so.

There was no range time, didn't even have guns with us. No test; no passing or failing, it was just me and her in the back of her little shop.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

How very reassuring.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

If you have something to say I always appreciate insight and/or intelligent conversation, but unspecified sarcasm serves nothing.

What do you want reassurance on? What purpose would it serve?

9. Colby

Colby New Member

Ohio is a twelve hour course. Sometimes three days, sometimes two days, sometimes all twelve hours in one day.

Mine consisted of 9 - 10 hours of classroom time, including a written exam, followed by 2-3 hours of range time.
    The classroom involved every aspect of firearms that you can think of - lectures and training on both revolvers and semi-autos and comparisons - with more extensive semi-auto stuff - since you must recognize and be able to deal with the failure to feed, jamming, stovepiping, etc - that semi's are prone to - and how to prepare for/handle/clear them.
    Limitations of each type weapon - safety - handling of weapons - loading - types of carry - holsters, iwb,owb, shoulder, etc, speed loading, dress (cover for your weapon - what works - what doesn't)
    Gun placement in the home, car, safes, - gun cleaning, cartridges, gun power, suitability, ...
    Likely scenarios - home - street - social -...what happens in situations.
    Psychology of the bad guy, of you, of the police, on you if forced to use your gun.
    The law. Legal limitations - places - , potential legal troubles. Your legal responsibilities... Police car stop stuff...

The practical - range time. Interesting. It's good you have shot before. They have you do various shoots - on command. Some aiming - some pointing. Some rapid fire - some slower - on command - with reloads. Stress that ccw defense is close up and usually panic - so careful aiming is usually not the case and could slow you down - point and shoot more likely. They will call out scenarios - straight target shots - and will also set up behind the door or wall scenarios - type shooting for you - and teach you how to protect yourself from gunfire from the bad guy - this was kind of an eye opener.... not as apparent as it seems - and they kind of beat you up about it if you don't think right.
    Most importantly, they want to see if you can safely handle a gun. They explain safe handling. If you do something unsafe they will fail you - run you out of the range.

I'm certain that I missed some stuff - but I think you get the picture - it's pretty extensive - at least that is how mine was. It is a very good thing. It would be good to take the class every year. There is a lot there.

I hope yours is just as good.

Oh -- just a tip. I hope you take a semi-auto with you. If you don't have one, rent one - that is what I did. (The Ruger Mark III 22 I rented was excellent - and cheap -- I liked it so much I eventually bought one for practice.) Semi- auto is good - reason ... reloading. In the call out scenarios they will want you to do rapid reloads. With a revolver it can be a mess. One guy used his single action revolver - and he was not good with it - what a mess! Under barrel extractor for each casing and one at a time chamber loading - really held things up. The instructors had to take special care of that guy because he could not do quickly what the instructors asked. They want you to put a bunch of shots out - hold - bunch more - through reloads with another magazine.
    Now if the guy had used a double action with roll out cylinder and speed loaders or strips - he'd likely been able to keep up. But no...
    I'm thinking we used somewhere around 100 rounds.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  10. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Your kidding right, your course was you and a an instructor in the back of the shop, no test of any kind? Not even range competence? I'm not saying you yourself are not competent, but I feel like there should be some basic safety, range test. Not everybody should just be handed such responsibility unearned,, this is not public school, you don't just pass just for going.

11. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Colby outlined an excellent course.
    Notice the difference???

12. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Well then Georgia (where I got mine), makes me a grade school drop out. No test, no class, no videos; just money for the fees and prints for the system= done.

13. Colby

Colby New Member

That is a kinda scary that they set people out in the world armed - with virtually no training.
    That means the other people out there that you are mixing up with have virtually no training.
    It's something to think about.

14. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I'm not saying you need a PHD, I'm just saying is atleast a comprehension & competence test to much? And once earned then begin to apply for nonresident permits but first at least qualify in your home state. I'm talking basics here, not CQC, tactical courses.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, that would've deterred me from getting my CCP without question. Very little is worth that much effort to me. This is more a hobby than anything. Carrying is just a proactive precautionary convenience.

I'm sure there are classes like this in depth one, outlined by Colby, here, and even tho I chose the one I did out of convenience (closest to me), I would've still done it over something so tedious. I'm not an ambitious person in most regards.

Most of those I talked to before getting my own reported similar experiences to mine, however. Seemed the norm to me.

Eh... whatever. I still don't see how it affects you or why it would warrant the sarcasm, but we've all got our soap boxes. No judgements here. I agree a more serious type of system would better serve to educate, which COULD help to weed out some of the irresponsibility, but so COULD a gun ban. Just saying... could'ves, would'ves, & should'ves isn't my game of choice.

16. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Even before I posted in this thread I read your post and commented to myself that the course you took seemed really outstanding! About Georgia I do see your point and others commenting on this thread as well. I'm all for training and proficiency, and any course mandated for permit wouldn't get me bothered as a more solid foundation is always a good thing. That being said, a part of me is content that GA makes it painless to get permitted as a "shall issue" state. Just like anything else, here it is YOUR responsibility to know all applicable laws and be proficient. When you take on the responsibility of applying to carry, you also take on responsibility for learning the law and all other matters attached to it. Some will take this seriously, some won't, just like everywhere else no matter what the requirements for issuance are.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  17. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Well my ccw class wasn't as thorough as that either maybe 3 hrs,, Test,,easy common sense questions , with 1hr range qualifying,, right hand left hand. Basic stuff. I think if we get to many asshats running around, and start to give the rest of us who do take it seriously a bad rep,, it just may affect me after all, and all maybe avoided by simply making sure the applicant knows where the safety is, and how to use it, you know, basic eddie eagle gun safety 1,2,3's. All I'm sayin,, THAT would reassure me.

18. jhelms

jhelms New Member

Just like bama. Paid $25. Got my picture made. Headed home.

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Our classes in Florida run from one extreme to another. My first one was taught by an ex-deputy sheriff. He was full of insights into dealing with LEO's, carrying, proper concealment, deadly force laws, and state statutes regarding where you can and can't carry. We fired 6 22 shorts through the class revolver and called it a wrap.

The class my daughter took was nothing more than the NRA safety class with a trip to an outdoor range. The range time was very informative, but the classroom time did not cover a single thing about deadly force laws, self-defense, or state statutes.

A local gun shop offers a class where the total exposure to firearms consists of firing one round through their gun into a safety barrel. The majority of the classroom time covers filling out the application, getting the appropriate picture taken, and a sales pitch for their store.

Now, I might be crazy, but if someone is going to carry a concealed weapon on a regular basis the instructor needs to do a lot more than have a chat in the backroom and skip firearms proficiency testing. You might know what you are doing, but how many others have been fast tracked through the same course without having a clue about safe handling? That's what's very reassuring.

20. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Wa doesnt have any training requirements, havent had any problems here, unlike nypd, training and 6 month quals, yet they managed to shoot innocent bystanders. Your argument is invalid. That said, i still took nra basic pistol few years before i got my cpl. You cant legislate people to make responsible choices. It's not constitutional, the idea is that everyone grows up shooting, taught by their parents, that way they already know the basics (and advanced) gun safety & handling. This society has gone to where it has to be told what to do and not do instead of thinking for itself and making the right choice on its own.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013