so theres this idiot on Gunbroker...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by m72law, Feb 5, 2011.

1. m72law

m72law New Member

i purchased a 1953 m44 hungarian rifle from this person/s on gunbroker...i sent payment w/copy of C&R FFL to them...they get my payment / C&R & then send me a email saying ''we cannot accept your curios & relics license because it says' THIS LICENSE DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN THE BUSINESS OF DEALING IN ANY FIREAMS!...just like in the constitution were idiots get the wording screwed up,i might be screwed:eek:im pretty sure 99.9% that this rifle is C&R eligible...i asked them to contact the BATFE & let them explain what a C&R is...they are 4 more rifles like this one on gunbroker that say C&R eligible....has anyone else ran into this kind of problem before?...i have used my C&R to purchase lots of firearms & this is a first for me:eek:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

" Dear sir: I am not a dealer, I am a Collector of Curio & Relic Firearms, which is the FFFL I sent you. The rifle in your auction is classed as a Curio & Relic Firearm, and is covered by the FFL I sent you. You are welcome to verify my FFL with the BATFE. Failure to complete this auction without good cause will result in posting of negative feedback, and a formal complaint to Gunbroker. "

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's perfect c3.

4. m72law

m72law New Member

no doubt:)...thanks c3;)

5. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

A 58-year-old rifle, C&R rules say 50 years. Sounds like a valid sale to me. This seller does not know what he's talking about. :confused:

6. c3shooter

Bigdog- unfortunately it happens. Have had folks declare that a gun could not BE a C&R, since they still made ammo in that caliber. Or demand a "real" FFL. Have had mine since 1976, and it is as real as it gets. I can understand if the age of the firearm is in question- but if THAT model went out of production in 1940, or the serial number says THAT rilfe was made in 1952, or the BATFE lists that gun by name on their list- that is not legit.

7. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

File a complait with gunbroker asap

8. red396

red396 New Member

your missed something the guy at gunbroker did not tell you.a dealer cannot verify if your c&r liscense is still valid.the atf only allows verify if you have a dealers lic.so many guys dont want to take the chance on a sale if they cant verify the liscense

9. m72law

m72law New Member

i always ask before i bid on an item if its C & R eligible...most email me back & say yea,or nay...no prob with my C&R before,as its valid,the date on it says so...C & R FFL looks the same as a 01 or 02 FFL..so im not understanding why atf can only verify dealer FFL's only?...even if they was to send this or any other rifle to me 'using my C & R' & turns out that the rifle wasnt C & R eligible,wouldnt i be the only one in hot water?either way i just sent them a copy of my buds 01FFL & i'll have 120bucks total in this rifle so its still not to bad of a deal...it wouldve been nice to save 20bucks on the transfer & not have to drive to get it,what can i say im a cheap skate:D& thanks to all,the advice that was giving...i appreciate it

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  10. c3shooter

Red- the BATFE can and does verify 03 C&R FFLs. It cannot be done on the EZChek system. You do it by placing a phone call to the BATFE licensing center, give them the license number, name and address, they will verify it. It is not on EZCheck because of privacy- collector usually has HOME address on their FFL.

11. m72law

m72law New Member

i just won another m44 off G-broker...the date on this rifle is 1954 (russian) tula w/laminated stock:) i sent a email to the seller 4 days ago,asking if it was C&R eligilbe...well no answer :/...this is kinda f**ked up.i sent a email @ THE SAME TIME!to the same seller about a P-38 pistol asking if it was C&R eligilbe & this is what theY sent me back-"copy paste:"According ATF it is not C&R. It is a civilian model & it does not have any of the specific military markings required to make it a C&R. Some people out on the net have been saying ALL of them are now C&R but that is NOT true. The ATF is slowly dealing with those dealers who ill informed and with all the misinformation out there. If you any questions ALWAYS consult the C&R list on the ATF web site on their updates. However, Thank you for your interest in this item.

David@
    Hillcrest Pawnbrokers
    so....does this mean the ones @ aimsurplus,copes,J&G,s.o.g,samco,ect. might not be C&R eligible if they dont have the correct mil. markings?...WTH?

12. c3shooter

Not a P-38 expert, but IIRC, there is a very similar pistol (P-1 comes to mind for some reason) that is NOT a P-38, looks like a P-38, but was a later model made for the police. Most are not C&R eligible, as is less than 50 yrs old. It ain't the markings per se, it is the AGE. But those markings (or lack thereof) will indicate the age.

At least you found a seller with some manners and business sense- he did give you an answer. As opposed to just ignoring you.

13. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

The P1 is the post-war version of the P-38 issued to the German Army. The most notable difference in the P1 is the alloy frame. See my Avatar.

14. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

AIM has/had P1's that are C&R authorized as well as Royal Tiger Imports. The distributors you mention should be consulted prior to ordering to be sure if an item is C&R eligibile.

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I know I'm chiming in late here but I would place my trust in AIM and most any other of the "Importers" before relying on the information from a pawnbroker. Importers have so much more to loose by not following the law. However, the one statement the pawnbroker made that was good advice was to always check the BATFE C&R list if you are not certain.

I've bought and sold firearms through pawnbrokers before and you would be amazed how some interpret FFL regulations. Especially reagarding C&R FFL's.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

if the P-38 in question is a replica it is not a c&r firearm and the pawn shop is correct.