So Sad, Sad Sad Sad, :'(

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AgentTikki, Feb 4, 2013.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I was invited on The hunting trip of a lifetime this past weekend. Wild board hunting on Catalina Island! So I packed up all my gear, and lent my friends some of my spares took my whole collection. Halfway there, in the middle of the Pacific, our boat started taking on water! It literally sank in 15 minutes!

Fortunately I escaped with with my life. Luckily no hands were lost, there were 8 of us including the crew I did have to sit in the hot sun while waiting for rescue. But alas, sad sad day, my entire collection is lost as sea. I know I should be thankful that all my buddies made it back in one piece. But alll my gear, all my firearms are all in Davy Jones' Locker.

I'm ready to /wrist.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

AT, that's awful! but i'm glad all you ae safe and sound. well time for you to start some new AR's!:D

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Dang man. That really sucks. Hey, look on the bright side... you won't have to go through any of that pesky paperwork if any new legislation gets passed.

4. X-mark

X-mark New Member

At least you are alive and well and have an awesome story to tell! So, anyone want to go on a deep deep deep sea diving expedition next week?

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Well it's not just me, but all my shooting buds and a couple of uncles were all on that trip. We all lost our collections. At least we got home in time to see San Francisco come back and lose >.<

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Glad you are all safe but that really stinks. :(

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Tikki I've fished the waters off Long Beach from the San Gabriel Canyon to the Avalon Knoll and that water can get deep! Soundings of 1,000 meters and more are not uncommon.

The good news, no one was lost in this terrible accident at sea! The bad news, In that depth of water your boat.....and your entire gun collection are past civilian salvage depth. Unless you have Richard Branson type deep pockets I think you may well have to write-off your gun collection as a total loss.

Sorry dude, I feel your pain.

So Sad, Sad Sad Sad

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I had a similar incident in the Puget Sound. Sucks to lose every rifle that the government is interested in, just when the prices were getting good. Horrible economic and collector luck, but I still have my friends just like you do. The sea can be a real witch, but at least she spared our lives.

9. longunner

longunner New Member

Looks like its time for a scuba trip :p

10. SSGN_Doc

Good luck in those waters. I don't think basic scuba would get you there and keep you alive.

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

Sorry. How deep is the water in that location?

A heavy tourist vacation spot like Catalina island has hunting?

Never put anything on a boat, you have to ever see again.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

At least you're alive. Material possessions, i.e. "things" can be replaced. Life cannot.

13. SSGN_Doc

Water in the channel near Catalina can be 1000 feet or more in places. Plus the currents are swift at depth.

Similarly the waters of the Puget Sound near the Straight of Juan de Fucca can get to depths below 600 feet with swift and shifting currents. Temperatures are also very cold.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Now you have the opportunity to replace those guns with a High Point and maybe a Jennings. Then if the gub'ment ever comes you'd be able to give them those...

"After the Catalina boating accident these were all I could afford, officer..."

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Off Catalina it is not just the depth, and the currents.

Sharks.

BIG sharks.

and barracudas.

Glad you guys made it out in one piece- and that will teach you for laughing at those of us that were on that horrible Cinco de Mayo boat excursion down South.

boating-accident.jpg

16. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Sorry to hear of the loss, but glad you are still top-side and able to tell us about it!!

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My experience was almost as bad. Flying to Michigan last summer on a hot July day. Turbulence was off the charts. As I was trying to cut across the narrow part of Lake Michigan, I hit a pocket of air that popped the cargo door open. Sure enough, they were all gone when I got it on the ground. :(

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

My god, there seems to be a rash of these tragedies..... My condolences for your loss. T_T

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes the sea is a terrible mistress. I'm glad we survived to tell the tale.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yeah I was one of those, karma's a b*tch. T_T