So many choices....

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mrb1982, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I shot a buddy's Dan Wesson 45acp 1911 and think it is awesome. Don't know if I've ever had much more fun. Someday I would like to have one, but probably wouldn't spend that much one. If a guy was to spend $700 on one, what would be the way to go? The new Remingtons look kinda nice, the new Ruger's look cool. What about the Taurus' and Rock Island's? I have been told the Taurus' are not the way to go but man are they pretty and the price is right. All I will really be using it for is messing around, no targets, probably won't carry it much if at all. I want something reliable more than anything. Thanks for any input.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The quality of a 1911 can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
    Dan Wesson had established itself, as well as Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and several others.

Before buying any 1911, check it out thoroughly. Some say they have the features of a custom, but that could be like a Yugo having a champagne bar like a Rolls Royce. It is there, but is it the same?

3. kalepas

kalepas New Member

SA makes several 1911 formats under or around 700. Very reliable name!

4. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Where are some good places online to look at guns to find actual price stuff, not just MSRP values from the manufacturers?

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Reminds me of something the late Paul Harvey said, way back before he started relying so heavily on endorsing products, particularly General Motors. People were asking him about the best automobile to buy. He said that his research revealed that if you received good service from the dealer, you'd be happy with any brand.

I look at pistols the same way. Buy a major brand after researching their customer service record, but also know the dealer you buy from. Any manufacturer can have a bad one get out once in a while, it's how they handle it that counts.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You just need to do some research. Find the main manufacturers of 1911s and find the models that you like. Then price compare at local dealers and Bud's Gun Shop Online. Buds is very competitive on price and they don't use MSRPs.

I own a Taurus 1911 stainless and it has been a fantastic gun. I've got about 5500 rounds through it with no issues. Very good choice if you are looking to stay at $600 or less. My recommendation would be to buy as expensive as you can afford. My experience with 1911s is that you get what you pay for.

That being said, I highly doubt you will find anything for $700 that will be as nice as your buddy's Dan Wesson. You'll have to pony up some more money for one of those.

7. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

American Classic (Metro Arms) and Rock Island Armory have some VERY reliable 1911s for significantly less than $700. Check out the various forums and you will find very satisfied customers - and both have a lifetime warranty. I could not be happier with my American Classic II and have just ordered a RIA in 9mm.

8. hmh

hmh New Member

I have a kimber and love it you should be able to pick up a bare bones kimber for around $700. A bare bones kimber is not a bare bones 1911. I think the stainless 2 is there bottom.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

For a no frills government 1911 that you can go crazy with,you cant beat an RIA or High Standard. I love my HS, i have a friend thats tried to trade me for his Timber...i mean Kimber, and i said "Hell NO!" best money that i ever spent on a handgun.

10. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Cool beans. I don't really expect to have anything as nice as my buddy's Dan Wesson, I just used it as an example of how much fun the 1911's were to too. A lot of good brands out there. I do really like the Kimber's but we'll have to see how long it takes me to save up the cash. hahaha

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

One thing I do to compare is check Gunbroker & Auction Arms for COMPLETED auctions or current auctions THAT HAVE BIDS for the same gun I'n concidering -

12. bowserb

bowserb New Member

No offense to buyers of Springfield, Rock Island, Taurus or other imports (I carry a Springfield XDm-45 from Croatia), but to me, the 1911 is an American gun, and along with the Winchester lever action 1892 Carbine, is a piece of pure Americana. Therefore, when I decided to get a 1911, it had to be an American-made gun. Aside from those limited production custom models, that means Colt, Kimber, Remington, and Ruger, plus some lesser known manufacturers.

My final choice was dictated as much by tradition as anything else--Colt. I considered Remington, but some scary QC issues early on discouraged me on that one. Ruger was a real contender, but just try to find one. Kimber has several 1911's worth considering.

At the end, why do you want a 1911? It's heavier. It has a lesser magazine capacity than modern double stack polymer designs. It's way more trouble to field strip. You buy it--or at least I did--for tradition and to "have" a 1911. The Colt 01991 model is pure 1911, except for the model 80 safety (which makes it better for carry), and I've seen it locally for as little as $760. A little more than a Ruger or Remington, but "Gee, Dad. It's a Wurlitzer!"

13. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

You make some very valid points in that post. I guess I never really thought about it from that sort of angle I guess. If there is one pistol I'm in love with, it would be a Kimber. Just have to pony up the cash for one if I want one though. lol

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ruger SR1911. Loaded with features. Great Customer Service. Hard to find in stock because everyone wants one.

15. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I may just end up saving up and holding out for a Kimber Eclipse Custom II. I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I see one of those things.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMHO 1911 reliability is 90% YOU, OP.

Most 1911s are going to function relatively

reliably or they wouldn't be on the market.

Get a 1911A1, most design changes from the original

directly affect reliability.

You have to take the gun through the 250

shot break-in.

You have to clean it regularly.

You have to oil it well, and don't forget to

grease the slides. ;)

17. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Well said. I've had a couple buddy's that have had problems with their guns shooting/functioning in the past. By simply cleaning it thoroughly it fixed it. Pretty cheap gunsmithing in my opinion. hhahaha

My second choice would be the Kimber Custom CDP II, and probably a better choice as I think the finish on the eclipse would show scratches and such things a little easier.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've had my share of questionable quality 1911's and top quality 1911's.

My personal experience is that the more homework, research, hands-on evaluation, questioning of owner's is done,
    the more I lean to the "expensive" 1911's.

What are you going to use it for? Plinking? then go inexpensive.
    Self defense? Is protecting you posterior worth having a quality firearm, holster, and ammunition,
    or those of questionable quality?

19. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I will be mostly using it for just plinking stuff, some self defense also of course. In my mind, if I want the best combo of quality and purpose for myself, I would probably recommend a Kimber Custom II, just the plain-jane black version that I can always piddle with some upgrades if I felt the need later. A good, quality, not as expensive arm as the high end stuff, but still reaps the quality of the higher end stuff, just not the bells and whistles.