So many 1911 makers which 1 should I buy

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by loctite44144, Aug 20, 2012.

1. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

They are so many 1911 out there which 1 is should I buy I have seen 'em go from anywhere from 400 and up I was thinking about the kimber which 1 should I go after

2. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

I bought a Kimber Custom ll TLE RL in May and it's been amazing so far. No regrets what so ever.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you get a Kimber, sure hope you get a good one.

CS horror stories abound, and at that price, IMO,

the company's a little apathetic about buyer satisfaction.

Your first 1911 is sort of like your first car,anyway.

Until you have one, you don't really know what

features are most desirable to you.

Springfield and Remington both make nice stainless

steel versions for less than you'd pay for a

blued Kimber.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How do you decide which car to buy? Research.

There are good deals to be had in both the new and used markets.

I picked up a used Ed Brown with carrying case, 3 mags, 2 holsters, 2 mag carriers, and ammo for $1800.
    I have purchased new Springfield Armory, Dan Wesson, and several others.

Some brands may seem like quality, but are not.

Remember as you read through this thread that those with problems are talked about the most, those with few problems are talked about least.

Price wise:
    RIA
    Springfield Armory
    Dan Wesson
    Ed Brown or Les Baer

5. cuba

cuba New Member

All depend on your set budget, but if it going to be your first 1911 I would recommend the RIA tactical, right around $400.00 and comes equipped with all the modern upgrades, hopefully you won't buy into the theory that you have to start with a bone stock GI model.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

6. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

thanks guys I'm actually looking for 1 in stainless

7. cuba

cuba New Member

Then again it all depends on your budget but if its in the below $700.00 range the only two I can think of is the Taurus PT1911, or if you can find it under $700.00 the Ruger SR1911, two excelent 1911 IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

It all depends on how it feels in your hands! Yes, we can give you all these opinions. Do alot of research on reviews, opinions, and most important handling of the precise gem you are going to buy. I handled so many 1911, but I had my eyes on the Ruger since I saw it in a magazine!!!:). So, I finally was able to buy it!!!!:D

image-1835003853.jpg

9. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I very much enjoy my Desert Eagle 1911G. I ended up taking off the compensator...a friend was selling it and i wanted to test it out before I bought it...it ended up being a gigantic pain in the ass to put on and remove and I couldn't tell a difference what so ever in performance...but this is the only picture of it i had so this is what I posted :D

Attached Files:

10. cuba

cuba New Member

The Desert Eagle 1911 though a fine rendition it is not available in stainless.

11. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Oh, I overlooked that part and didnt know the OP was looking for stainless. Sorry about that :D

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Stainless really cuts the field down. Taurus will be the cheapest. I have a stainless and it's been a great gun. Got close to 5000 rounds through it so far. There are a lot of Taurus-haters out there that tend to exaggerate and pass along 50th hand information that tends to get distorted every time it changes hands.

Springfield Armory Loaded in stainless is another good option. So are Sig Sauer 1911s. I believe they have some stainless models as well.

Just trying to think of some stainless 1911s under $1000.

13. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I have the same question. I am looking for my next gun and I want a 1911 but I don't know which one to buy. Should I stay with the original Colt or do I choose S&W, Kimber, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Ed Brown? HELP!

14. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

IMO you're only going to get an opinion on that. Those are all great manufacturers...

IMO, i'd go with the Colt. You'll have a bigger price tag, for sure, but you get what you pay for, and in 100 years, when all other competition has faded, it'll STILL be a Colt.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Start your own thread with what you're looking for in terms of features and a price range you'd like to be within.

16. rock185

rock185 Member

Hello loctite, I've owned 1911s from most of the major manufacturers, including the Kimbers you mentioned, and some of the custom/semi custom builders; Baer, Wilson, Rock River, Heinie, Clark, etc. We here in the US are fortunate in having so many quality 1911s to choose from.

I have owned five stainless Kimbers, over a period of several years, in three different calibers. I have had excellent luck with Kimbers. Four worked 100% out of the box, while one had an easily correctible issue. All were nicely fitted and finished. I consider Kimbers a very good value for the money. In production guns, Colts have also served me very well, and the Dan wessons are very well fitted and finished production guns, though more expensive than most Colts and Kimbers. I have been very impressed with the Colts produced in the last 10+ years. I believe they are put together better, and are more consistent in quality from gun to gun, than most of my old '70 Series Government Models, Gold Cups and Commanders from 30+ years ago...ymmv

17. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Para Ordnance also makes some great 1911's. The GI Expert runs about 550 and is a great 1911.

18. Transman

Transman New Member

Buythis first one with your gut feeling,you have some familiarity with the breed,this won't be your last.Each time you buy one,and their will be a next time,you will have more experience,know what appeals to you ,the one after that will be bought for an entirely different reason and so on and so on.......I'm on 16 and counting,love em all!

19. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Which of the 16 is your favorite? :)

20. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Just remember that a stainless gun will scratch really easily depending on the finish. Maybe get a duracoated/gunkoted one so you can get familiar with the internals and everything without having to worry about scratching, that is of course if you even care about cosmetics in the first place lol.