So, I've got this "Kentucky Long Rifle"

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by kyhoti, Mar 23, 2012.

1. kyhoti

kyhoti New Member

I recently got back one of my very first firearms purchases: an '80's-era CVA Kentucky Long Rifle kit. It's been sitting forgotten in storage since '88 when I left it there, unbuilt. So of course, once I verified that I had all the pieces, I built it. All of the parts fit like they should, and the mechanical stuff all does what it's supposed to do. Now my question is, should I shoot the darn thing? I've heard bits and pieces on and off over the years about older CVA barrels splitting etc, but finding out the actual dates of mfg/models affected has been like chasing ghost farts. Anyone out there with an opinion, or better yet, the real skinny?

Oh, yeah ETA: I also got back my first built BP gun, one of the CVA .36 Navy Colt replicas from the '80s. It was a solid block of rust from sitting next to the rifle kit in storage. After a couple of days bathing in a noxious pool of various solvents, I managed to get everything hammered apart, sanded down and back together. Other than what ended up being some pretty patina, everything seems solid as well. It used to be a great shooter back in my teen years when Reagan was in office. so. Ditto here, do I light off this baby, or leave it as a shop decoration?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You may want to have them examined by a gunsmith. That said, start with a light load and give her a try. If you have a gun vise I would lock the gun in and pull the trigger via paracord if I were that worried. If you give me the calibers I can suggest some light loads for you.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

PICSSSSS! of the rifle

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The pistol barrel and cylinder are easy to see. Get a light you drop down the rifle bore to see if there is pitting in there too. Then shoot 'em if OK, or not....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUslGSoEH8I[/ame]

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

So is it Flint or Percussion ?

6. kyhoti

kyhoti New Member

It's percussion, .45 cal; and as to pics, I'm not posting any until I figure out if it's a shooter or not. Why, you ask? I said it was built, but it ain't pretty. I built to "rough-out" stage, took off the sharp edges etc, and made sure it's not going to rattle apart, but I don't want to invest any more time for a piece of wall art.

The pistol (a .36) has a dark bore, from an over-all fine layer of rust being removed, but no actual pitting that I can see. I tried using an old bore scope that I have in the shop, but the light is shot on it and I've forgotten how to change it. Figuring out a work-around (sooner or later).

Thanks for the replies y'all.