So I want a snub revolver...

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Brownie, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Brownie

Brownie New Member

any suggestions? I would like to be able to keep it in my purse when I get my concealed weapons permit. My boyfriend just got a Rugar .357 magnum and I'm in love with it! I was gonna get a Glock 19 like he has but I decided I would rather have a revolver.

I would also prefer no hammer on the snub..

Any opinions or suggestions?

:)

2. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

You might look at a Ruger SP101 or the new Ruger LCR that is coming out. There is a nice write up on the LCR in Guns & Ammo this month.

3. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I'd recommend a Smith & Wesson J frame, you can get several models with shrouded hammers ("Bodyguard", you can still cock the hammer for SA fire) or fully enclosed hammers ("Centennial", they are DA only).

My favourite is model 640 (Centennial style) in .38. It shoots great, the trigger is fantastic and the extra heft of the steel frame makes it more comfortable to shoot than the lighter models.

You can check out some J frames here:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm thinking that Ruger LCR is going to be big in the world of firearms once it actually hits the streets. I expect Smith & Wesson and Taurus to follow suit shortly after.

5. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

I would suggest getting one with a hammer so that you have the option of using it in single action. You can pull a lot of the pounds out of the trigger pull that way. Try a shrouded hammer.

6. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Smith & Wesson 442 hammerless .38 Special AirWeight

[​IMG]

Of course if we want to play to the stereotypes...the Pink Grip model:
    [​IMG]

The Ruger SP101 would also be a good choice, and you have the option of the new chambering in .327 Federal Magnum. Search the forum and I'm sure you'll find some debate about the .327 round.

If you do decide to go with a smaller gun, spend some money on ammo and shoot the gun. The smaller & lighter the gun, usually the harder it is to shoot well. While you may only need it at arms length, you would be surprised the number of misses in gunfights at arms length.

7. KBlue

KBlue New Member

I recommend S&W J-frames as well. I get excellent groupings at the range with my Model 60 .357 mag every time.

8. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Thanks a bunch guys for all the suggestions! I keep practicing with my guy's guns to get better with shooting. Like with his Glock 19 I can get 13 of the 15 shots on paper.. probably not even close to what men can do.. :D
    With the Rugar .357 Magnum I can get all six shots in the circle..pretty pleased about that.. My boyfriend has no doubt that I could probably shoot somebody breaking into the house. :rolleyes:
    I will certainly check out all the guns you guys mentioned..

Thanks Again!

9. Megaton

Megaton New Member

This is why she needs a gun that is going to hold up. She's going to need alot of practice with whatever she chooses. Its important that she will enjoy shooting whatever gun she chooses so that she will continue to practice with it.

You can break it down into three main points we are considering.

1. How does it feel in her hand? This is where things like aftermarket grips and such come into play.

2. How will it hold up? If she can't shoot it all the time and get comfortable with it, there is no point in her having it.

3. How much will it cost? I think i can speak for her (I do most of the time :p ) when I say she doesn't want to spend a ton of money. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-500. That is not to say she won't go higher than that. Just what she would prefer.

Thank you all for the input. It seems like most everyone is very friendly here.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Good plan Megaton. My wife bought a Smith & Wesson 410S (40 caliber) without trying one out first. She hates that gun. I finally traded it in for a CZ75.

11. 34sail

34sail New Member

Mark,

Great quote. Simple and how appropriate!

Sail34

12. dhgunit

dhgunit New Member

I have that S&W .38 special airweight. Good gun. Great for concealed carry

13. Greg45

Greg45 New Member

You may want to look at the Taurus revolvers, a lot of the snubby's can be had for less than $400. I bought the Model 605 .357 for right at $330, their pretty good guns for the price, ive had no problems with mine

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I recently let my wife choose and she got a S&W model 442 in .38+P airweight DAO or "hammerless". The only recommendation I make as to improving it is to install a Wolff spring kit to SAFELY and RELIABLY reduce felt pull weight by 40%.She also had me put a "Clipdraw" on it so that she may carry it IWB safely & securely without a holster.

15. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I'm in love with my Ruger SP101. It's the 2.25" barrel, shaved hammer, and has the crimson trace laser grips.

The grips added significantly to the price, but it was still cheaper than alot of S&W's i've seen. Also, the stainless steel is a bit heavy, but i feel good knowing i own the most durable .357 on the market.

It's also heavy enough so that shooting .357 from it is only slightly uncomfortable...

16. freefall

freefall New Member

My ssis-in-law has a Taurus titanium .38. Not sure if it's called a model 85 when made of titanium. Came with Crimson Trace grips, it's a SWEETHEART of a carry gun. Just got the lovely Mrs Freefall a Kel-Tec P9. Haven't even fired it yet, later today.

17. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Man I really appreciate all the comments!

I've researched all the ideas and I'm pretty set on one...

The Ruger LCR! There isn't very many reviews yet that I can find seeing as it's new and everything.. But from what I've read on the Ruger site about it I think I would be pretty happy if I got it.

"The LCR's double-action trigger pull is uniquely engineered to minimize friction between the fire control components, resulting in a non-stacking, smooth trigger pull. The trigger force builds more gradually, and peaks later in the trigger stroke, resulting in a trigger pull that feels much lighter than it actually is. This results in more comfortable shooting, even among those with smaller, weaker hands." -Ruger.com

And I also love how light the gun is!

But I'm not sure if I should hold off til I see more reviews.. if I do get it(which I most likely will) and I don't like it I'll just give it to my boyfriend :D

Thanks for all the advice and replys!!!!

18. WDB

WDB New Member

Thaty is a good choice but I would find a range that rents that pistol and shoot it before you buy. The S&W 442 air weight is a sweet pistol and I would suggest you shoot it at a range that rents before you decide.

19. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

I have the Taurus 651. I have been really happy with this gun. It shoots really well and has some good range to! Only issue now is thanks to our great leader BO I cant go plinking everyday with it:mad:

20. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

I carry a Taurus 605 every day. I have 3500 rounds through it without a single problem. It is a great little gun.

It's 23 oz, but the weight makes .38+P recoil feel like a summer breeze. .357 makes me feel better, too.

It fits nicely in my sporran, as well.