So i know im sounding like an fng here

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by munitedhooligan, May 1, 2012.

1. munitedhooligan

munitedhooligan New Member

But is it too much stress on the magazine springs if I leave them loaded? And I am talking about my home defense pistol, not my ccw. So they are just sitting in the safe.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

no stress at all. unloading the magazine does more harm than leaving them loaded.

from a previous post i left a reply on this very topic:

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

spring set can occure in magazines being left loaded for long periods of time.www.gunsprings.com/faq,they might be a little sels serving but they have good info on the subject.if you can find the book The Tactical 1911 written by Dve Lauck he talks briefly about spring set.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can we get a stickie on this? Seems to come up once a week.

5. munitedhooligan

munitedhooligan New Member

Alright guys thanks you've been a lot of help!

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hmmm, didn't bother looking at the link since it sounds like they're in the business of selling springs! :p

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Spring fatigue comes from the amount of times a spring has been compressed and released. Leave your mags loaded and you'll be just fine. This is a common internet myth.

8. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i like to give the best info possible just because one believes spring set to be a myth does not make it so, spring set can and does occur.it may take years and it may never be an issue for some people or most but it still can happen.google search "A magazine spring experiment"this one is not saleing anything.www.ballistics101.combottom of the page there is the list you will see the experiment.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Springset is being misrepresented by that link. While every spring has a natural ammount of set it will take, on a properly designed magazine that set factor is taken into account.

What spring set actually is, is the amount of permanent compression a spring has from when it was brand new to a shorter permanent length once its been in use a while.

When a spring is properly designed the engineer designing the magazine takes that into account and its a nonfactor.

Springs do wear out from sustained use. The wear is NOT from the compressed state of the spring but from its constant compression and decrompression cycle itself.

Loading and then unloading a magazine to let a spring "rest" does far more damage than just leaving the magazine full

Springset is a term used incorrectly by certain folks to sell ya unneeded springs.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

If the spring is properly designed, it should last millions of cycles, way beyond my income level of shooting ;)

I would expect any mfg to properly design a spring.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

What he said! :)

12. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Just in case this particular pot hasn't been stirred enough, there's some interesting technical info on springs here: http://www.lesjoforsab.com/technical-information/durability.asp
    Especially read the 3rd paragraph. This doesn't seem to say that it will happen in all cases, but springs can & do set/deform under constant load.