So, how much..

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jpattersonnh, Feb 14, 2011.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Shooting off the bench, supported, equate to putting meat on the table in the real world?.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean you dont have an off road shooting bench?:D

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think it can definately help but shooting from a bench is not like real world hunting because rarely do you get to take a shot from such a comfortable position.
    I think where it helps is the fundamentals. You practice your breathing, sight picture, trigger pull, etc.....You also become more familiar with your weapon and the load you're using. I know that when the barrel on my 30-06 gets hot it starts moving high and left. If you let it cool off your POI is right where it should be.

Once I get a rifle sighted in I like to get warmed up with a 22 or something and then take that first shot as if I were attempting to take game. That first shot is the one you need to watch and know.

So my long winded answer is, yes.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would say 40/60, maybe 30/70.

You have to know where the rounds will impact and you need to be familiar with the weapon in operation and trigger control.

If you practice only known distances than you will be a strict disadvantage when you get into the field.

If however you shoot from a bench at fun target like baseballs and golfballs that roll and change distance and direction, you can add to your base skillset that will allow you to make small changes in the field that could lead to a killshot.

Facts being facts, there is a good 8" or 10" spot where you punch a round and put a good sized animal down. If you can't hit that spot with regularity because you are afraid of the recoil, can't make the adjustments for distance and wind, you risk injuring the animal. Setting of a bloody tracking scenario that leaves the meat ruined because of adrenaline and God knows what else, an animal dying a slow and painful death and your hunting buddies cursing you for days because of the hump they had to go on to find "your" kill.

The worst "hunters" are the ones that store their gun for 357 days, never touch it, take it out the week before hunting season, put three rounds through it to make sure the scope is "on" and proceed out into the woods. :mad:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah those are the ones i enjoy the most at the range!! much humor to be had.

ideally i would love to have a place to shoot that involved different positions random ranges odd ball targets but i am limited to a formal range max 300 yards. i make the most i can out of my bench shooting time. since it is the only public range that allows rifles that is worthwhile i dont want to break the rules and get kicked out. sometimes you gotta make the best of what ya got.

but ive aso get a lot of clean kills on doe.

6. spittinfire

For this reason elevation adjustments can be almost completely eliminated if game is being taken inside 300-400 yards, depending on what cartridge is being used. Knowing your bullet trajectory is essental to make this work but it's not hard.
    Windage is a different story.

7. jpattersonnh

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just asking!! On another forum some think that 2.5" @100 yards off the bench w/ factory ammo eqauls meat in the freezer. To much comes into play. Roll the dice!

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on what I hunt. Squirrels? Open sighted 22 rifle. Deer? Hunting thick cover, 50 yds is a long shot- that to me is shotgun or revolver country. Bunnies? .410 or 20 g pump, and let the games begin! Long range deer? Seated, using shooting sticks if I can. My benchrest rifle and my hunting rifle are not the same gun- different purposes. Groundhogs? Prone, bipod, watch the alfalfa or beans for the wind.

9. spittinfire

That will drop a deer all day long in my neck of the woods but can the guy make the same shot hanging out of a tree stand in 15 degree weather with the sun in his eyes while taking a shot of bird crap to the forhead?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would agree with you almost 100% but we are talking a cold bore shot, which throws a lot of shooters off.

If you get your rifle sighted in at, say, 200 yards - but you achieve that after 10 shots, your Point of Impact isn't going to be the same when you pull that rifle off your shoulder and line up your first shot two weeks later.

Will that put you out of an 8 or 10 inch circle? Probably not, but trying to take game at longer ranges for the cartridge in question, like a 300 yard shot with a .45-70, is going to make all the difference in the world.

I agree that trajectory is very important and you can't know that unless you practice.

11. jpattersonnh

There is a factor!! If you were shooting a 7600 .270, from a bench, and 2.5" groups were the norm. What would be your optimum range off hand. We have gusts of 30+ during the season, Whitetail. Unless you shoot like you hunt, it is all BS, thats my thought.