So, first .223 semi auto rifle is a Mini 14

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by kdog, Sep 25, 2020.

1. kdog

kdog Active Member

Hey from Germany,

on my quest of getting my first .223 semi auto rifle, my choice fell on a Ruger Mini 14, as this is a plattform a) that not everybody has in Germany and b) offers quite a good amount of customization possibilities.

Mine is a 195 series modell Ranch Rifle.

Here a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The condition is pretty nice and it seems it hasn`t been shot very much. Nor sratches, mars or burrs, except on the barrel top from reseating the top hand guard.
    It has the original Ruger plastic stock, that will be changed at some time in the near future.

I got a Warne Maxima Zero MOA Rail to mount my Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 VMR2 MRAD Scope. Hav ethe mid hight scope ring on it. Have to see how I get along with the hight, since the base is a bit higher then on other rifles. But that will show soon, I guess.

But depending on how I get along with that for practical shooting, I might put on a Vortex Venom 3MOA Red Dot.
    My first day at the range with it will be tomorrow so can`t wait

2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Congrats on your purchase of an Evil Black Rifle (EBR in America).
    You can dress it up with many options for looks and performance, like the AR’s, It just depends on how much $$$ you have to spend.:D
    What ammo are you going to feed it?
    Enjoy your range day.;)

schnuffleupagus, bluez, kdog and 2 others like this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

KDOG

Nice Mini!

schnuffleupagus, kdog and PANDEMIC like this.
  4. kdog

kdog Active Member

I have some PPU, GGG na some ammo issued to the German Bundeswehr

Caveman Jim and PANDEMIC like this.
  5. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

KDOG, congratulations on a fine weapon!
    This site can provide some additional info on your particular Mini-14:
    http://sunflowerammo.blogspot.com/2012/11/ruger-mini-1430-barrel-twist-rates.html
    Depending on your S/N, it has either a 1:7 or 1:9 twist rate.
    I have a 181-series (1:10 twist rate) and two 583-series Minis (1:9 twist rate), and shoot PPU M193 NATO as well as PMC Bronze .223 - both 55gr. They shoot well with both with the Point of Impact being close enough between the two brands that any difference is insignificant for my purposes.

Shoot it a bit. Being a "pencil-barrel" Mini, you might experience some stringing as the barrel heats up. There is a fix for that called an Accustrut, but you may not need it. With an Accustrut, you will likely get about a consistent 2 MOA.

Congrats again!

schnuffleupagus and kdog like this.
  6. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

Another gun on my wish list...thats nice.. Have fun, will check back to see how much you like your Mini.

7. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Mini 14's are great, I've had a number of them over the years, the most accurate one was a stainless steel model that I'm sorry to say I had to trade for an automatic transmission to replace the blown one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  8. kdog

kdog Active Member

Thank`s for the link.
    So mine is a 165 serial number, According to the link you posted, I should have a 1 in 9 ratio.

I have been doing quite some research on the mini 14 on youtube, and also came accross the accustrut and other bits and peaces.
    But as you stated, I might not need it.

For the competitions I will use the mini 14 for, the shooting speed will not be that high, so the barrel should not really get that hot. But I will see that.

Also, the competitions I will use it for mainly are shot at a max of 30m. So we are not talking about huge accuracy needed.

Here is a video what I will use it for, only for semi auto rifles.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  9. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Why
    If your shoot for speed at 30 , consider a red dot optic.
    The twist ratio will make no difference. You don’t need super heavy bullets. 55 gr standard is best anyway.

RJF22553 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  10. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Is it possible to purchase HK 93 in Germany as a German Citizen?

11. kdog

kdog Active Member

So, I was at the range.
    I have to say, the Mini 14 is a really fun shooter and has potential for a severe addiction...;-)

I had some struggeling getting the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 sighted in, so I let another guy do that for me, before I just waste ammo, what is fun just the same, but we got it sighted in on 50m and then hit the 100m range. And that came along pretty good aswell.

I will put together a video tomorrow and also post it here.

12. kdog

kdog Active Member

Only if it is semi automatic, if at all

13. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Right, the '93 is semi auto.
    But it has black furniture that makes weak people scared. In the USA there is a company that is making copies of the H&K classic, just curious if it was thought of as allowable in the
    FDR.
    congratulations on being able to purchase the Mini14 though. Buy magazines for it whenever you can.

14. kdog

kdog Active Member

The 93 seems to be the civilian version of the G3.
    If that is the case, the 93 is quite well spread here.

The 10 round magazines for the Mini 14, that is the max I am allowed to buy, are easy to get, kind of.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  15. Mercator

Are the nazi issue guns widely bought and sold in Germany like they are here?

16. kdog

kdog Active Member

I guess yes!

I have shot a Walther P38 with WWII markings on it.
    I do prefer WWII markings as Nazi markings.
    The P08 is very widely spread. But mine is from 1920, so before WWII made by DWM.
    K98 bolt action rifles are widely spread.
    And many other are quite well spread

Mercator likes this.
  17. Mercator

Not sure I understand what you mean.

18. kdog

kdog Active Member

Quity easy......Nazi Markings are, at least here in Germany, a very negative description.

The markings you mean, I guess, are markings like the swastika, or markings from the SS (Schutzstaffel), ect.

Yes, we can buy firearms that have these markings. But since these markings are from the World War 2 era, we mostly prefer to say WWII markings to not use the word Nazi.

19. kdog

kdog Active Member

So, here is the video, in German.....

To skip me talking, Jump to minute 8:27

Ruger Mini 14 first time at the Range

20. kdog

kdog Active Member

So, I got a ATI Strikeforce Stock cheap from a instgram contact (€ 50,-) and just slapped it on my Ranch rifle. Dosn`t look to bad, I think. Not for a permanent use, but every now and then why not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RJF22553, Maineiak and Rifling82 like this.