So far so good.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by saviorslegacy, Aug 5, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I just got back from the recruiter. All and all, I qualify for the medical program in the Navy. My best friend qualified to be a nuclear physicist. :/
    Anyways, I will be getting the paper work together here real soon. Then I will sign, go to the physical and get shipped off to basic.... in 3 to 8 months......

There are a lot of former and current military people here, so what is your advice.
    I had one guy tell me to avoid prostitutes like the devil....

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I am not a current or former military person.....but thank you!

3. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

If you go to Norfolk, Va., the old 'strip' is long gone. It's all industrial park now.

West coast may be a different story....... ;)

Charleston Naval Base was surrounded by 'Indian Country' in the 80's - dangerous to walk off base at night. Likely still the same.

I liked the Navy - did my first hitch in the USAF and was BORED...... The Navy actually sent me places on my second hitch - great fun! :D

On shipboard, the 'doc' is well respected, especially if he has a good 'bedside manor' and knows how to give shots without much pain. Master that, you will get along well! :)

And congrats - the military is a great experience that will be with you for life. It defines the way you will comport yourself decades from now!

4. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

Thank you for your service and I'm soo jealous of you, I have to wait two more years and finish college. Are you going in as a corpsman or a medical officer? One of my best friends was kind of a drain on society after high school and he joined the navy and is a corpsman at portsmouth naval hospital and he is doing really well for himself, from what I've seen the navy medical program is top notch. good luck and god bless.

5. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Wait wait wait, Indian country? Please explain.......

I am actually not going to be that kind of a doctor.......
    I will be a physical therapist. I want to help the wounded or the people that do dumb stuff. Unfortunately, my father had to go to therapy for 3 months while in the Marine Corps. because of dumb stuff..... -_-
    I'll probably end up in therapy as well......

6. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I will be going in as a corpsman.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent! Even if yer' gonna' be a squid. ;)

8. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Yeah, dad is a Marine and he has been calling me a squid off and on since the first visit with the recruiter.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yeah well, I was an Air Force Wingnut, so don't sweat it. ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I went Air Force so I can't offer Navy advice for active duty... But if you get to or near DC give me a PM and I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks for serving, it will change your life and for the better.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Congrats and thanks...my family is mostly Navy with a couple Marines thrown in for good measure. Best of luck and enjoy the ride...

12. Redhorse

Redhorse New Member

If your lucky you'll be attached to a marine unit. If not you'll still learn a great trade. As an old marine the only squids that were worth anything were the corpsman. My son's are signed up as CTR. Good luck, avoid the off limits places, and take pride in the fact that you are serving the greatest nation in the world. Thank you for your service

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sailor.jpg

Seriously though, I think your doing a good thing. You seem to have a positive attitude, you should be just fine.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Corpsman in the Navy... Thank you in advance.

Had a friend from high school who went in as a surgical room tech. Got a rude surprise when he was tagged for the Marines for Gulf War 1. I can't quite figure out how he got all the way through training and a year on assignment before he found out the Marines get all their corpsman from the Navy. :confused:

15. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I thought you had decided on the Corps? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Either way, good luck squiddly! IMO, the only respectable squid is the corpsman, that's comin from a jar head... Best of luck.

Although Navy pilots are some of the best.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It is required that all military pilots joke about how their pilots are the best. However, when it comes down to the brass tacks, most in aviation will point to the Navy as producing the best pilots overall.

17. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah well, they ARE the ones that have to land on a bucking runway that's only about six hundred feet long...

18. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Wait.... the Marine Corps. can take me from the Navy....
    At this point will I become a Marine and still perform my regular duties or will the Government just throw that money that they spent on training me out the window and assign me something new?
    I am more than a little confused.

@pandamonium
    I love the Corps.
    Well... a bunch of things have been happening in a small amount of time.

Mom and dad got stressed and said some things that they didn't mean back in early spring. I was at the time enrolled in a local university. I was getting my general classes out of the way so that I may become a physical therapist. Well, when the thing with the parents happened I went into survival mode and set myself up for Marine Corps. aviation. I was going to join as soon as the semester was over. Once my parents took noticed on what had just happened they back peddled.
    I put my nose back to my books and finished the semester. After some much needed vacation time we all got pulled back to earth.
    Mom is going back to college this semester to be a nurse and I will be going back this semester at the colleges expense because they screwed me last year, but that's another story.
    After reviewing more options and found out that military medical training can (I hate that word, as well as if, maybe and we'll see) be accepted by a medical facility. I decided that I wanted to be a medical personal in the Corps. The recruiter told me that the Marines do not offer medical accept for field medic training, and that I didn't want that. He referred me to the Navy. I took the ASVAB. Today I found out that I qualified for corpsman medical training and that after I receive this training I can choose to branch off and become a physical therapist.
    The rest is a story untold.

19. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

No the Marine Corps will not take you away from the Navy, you would be assigned to a Marine unit, not sure of details but thats the jist of it.