So Can Anyone Tell Me What These Are

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by steven1, May 23, 2010.

1. steven1

steven1 New Member

Hi Guys

Greetings from an unusually warm Britain. :) With UK gun laws being as strict as they are I have to content myself collecting curios like these babies. The (single) barrels are approx. 12" long, 3/4" od, and the decoration is (I am advised) mother of pearl and silver.

I bought them believing they are perhaps Ottoman ? but I'd sure appreciate if any experts out there would help me put an approximate date and origin on them, and what kind of use they may have been made for.

Any suggestions as to how best display these would also be appreciated.

all the best

Steven1

Attached Files:

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Welcome aboard! Please pop into the "Introductions" and tell us about yourself.

I wish I could help identify your new finds, but they are outside my realm of knowledge. But be patient and you will have some reasonable responses, most likely.

3. steven1

steven1 New Member

Deafening Silence

So no one has any idea what these are and the approximate age etc??

Maybe its a post colonial , post BP thing ?

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Could be Ottoman, could be Persian. I can tell you they're knee pistols made to be braced on knee when fired from horseback. Probably made in the early to mid 1800's

5. steven1

steven1 New Member

Thanks Hawg

Thanks for the steer Hawg, interestingly they were bought in Egypt just before I acquired them so that ties in with the Ottoman / Persian thing.

Pardon my ignorance but how can you tell they were designed to be braced on the knee, is it simply the barrel length / weight ?

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The short stock. Do a google search on knee pistols and you should come up with more info than I can give.