Firearms Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it to the range today to continue in trying o learn what loads are preferred by the 640 and also with the 442 (first range trip for the 442.). Was able to find some .357 158gr loads, which are what the sights on the 640 are what I was told are regulated to as far as elevation goes. I also found some Critical duty 135gr .357 loads. I already tried 125 gr .357 and .38 Special rounds and found them to print low.

Starting from scratch with the 442. Loads tried were, Critical Defense, 110 gr, Remington 125 gr +P HTP, CCI Blazer 130 gr. FMJ, and Herter’s 130 gr FMJ.

Seems the 640 will print at elevation POA with both the 158 gr and Critical Duty 135 gr .357 magnum loads. I apparently did not drift my sight enough to fully correct the tendency to pull left. So any groups that seem centered are reflecting some Kentucky windage on my part.

The 442 seems to right dead on with the Remington HTP 125 gr +P, and a little low with the 110 gr Critical Defense. Target loads using 130 gr bullets also seem to meet the sight regulation of this little Airweight.

Both triggers are good, but the 640 Pro-Series does reflect the work of the Performance Center parts in it.

Font Recreation Circle Indoor games and sports Number
Font Wood Circle Pattern Art

·
Registered
6 Posts
Made it to the range today to continue in trying o learn what loads are preferred by the 640 and also with the 442 (first range trip for the 442.). Was able to find some .357 158gr loads, which are what the sights on the 640 are what I was told are regulated to as far as elevation goes. I also found some Critical duty 135gr .357 loads. I already tried 125 gr .357 and .38 Special rounds and found them to print low.

Starting from scratch with the 442. Loads tried were, Critical Defense, 110 gr, Remington 125 gr +P HTP, CCI Blazer 130 gr. FMJ, and Herter’s 130 gr FMJ.

Seems the 640 will print at elevation POA with both the 158 gr and Critical Duty 135 gr .357 magnum loads. I apparently did not drift my sight enough to fully correct the tendency to pull left. So any groups that seem centered are reflecting some Kentucky windage on my part.

The 442 seems to right dead on with the Remington HTP 125 gr +P, and a little low with the 110 gr Critical Defense. Target loads using 130 gr bullets also seem to meet the sight regulation of this little Airweight.

Both triggers are good, but the 640 Pro-Series does reflect the work of the Performance Center parts in it.

View attachment 251629 View attachment 251630
Be aware that critical duty is designed for full size weapons to achieve intended ballistics.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shot at what distance ?
7.5 yards. Same range I did initial testing at, just to keep things consistent. You can see lighter loads tend to print low at this distance out of the 640. I was told that the 640 sights are elevation regulated for 158gr .357 mag loads, and from what I’m seeing, it seems to confirm what I was told. I’d generally like to run 125gr .357 mag loads, but would also like to know they are going to hit where my hand and eye are learning to point with the sights.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be aware that critical duty is designed for full size weapons to achieve intended ballistics.
Aware of this but currently trying to make due with ammo I can actually find. Also trying to confirm sight regulation for differing bullet weights and loads. I’d take a bullet that goes where I want and MAY perform at adequate level , which I can get, vs. a round that hits off of my POA or that I can’t obtain right now.

I have seen a few tests of the Critical duty out of a snub nose, and it does fairly well still. About like an old XTP load. Expands, but not to max, and still gets better than minimum penetration. Until I can get some Gold Dot short barrel, or 158 gr defensive loads this may have to do if I choose to carry the 640.

But still in the ammo exploration stage with this gun for now.

Reactions: Sniper03

·
Premium Member
6,315 Posts
Those groups aren't all that bad, at 7yds. With the ultralight S&W 442 I once had, it was the devil's own problem to get five rounds quickly placed within a handspan at 5yds, let alone farther out. For my own part, I'll take a S&W Model 60 3", Ruger SP-101 4" or a Ruger GP-100 any day of the week, something with some heft, over a 442 Airweight. Impressive, though, to see that somebody can actually use the thing properly.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those groups aren't all that bad, at 7yds. With the ultralight S&W 442 I once had, it was the devil's own problem to get five rounds quickly placed within a handspan at 5yds, let alone farther out. For my own part, I'll take a S&W Model 60 3", Ruger SP-101 4" or a Ruger GP-100 any day of the week, something with some heft, over a 442 Airweight. Impressive, though, to see that somebody can actually use the thing properly.
It’s all slow fire at this point, just getting used to it, the trigger and finding ammo it likes. The 640 being all steel, is pleasant to shoot with .38 Special. You do know it when you fire magnum loads through it. When I ran the 158 gr. and 135 gr. magnum loads in it, one guy at the range commented, “That thing has a bit of oomph, doesn’t it?”

Reactions: G66enigma
1 - 10 of 10 Posts