snubby 38

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rackerly04, May 13, 2012.

1. rackerly04

rackerly04 New Member

Just picked up this lil guy on a trade for a tec 22. Its a R.G. Model 31.

ForumRunner_20120513_114045.jpg

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Shoot with caution.

3. rackerly04

rackerly04 New Member

I have heard all the good and bad about these ones, it is in great shape and seems to be one of the few semi well built ones

4. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

true words here^^^i had an rg 22. that thing was horrid to shoot it would send shrapnel in every direction it is now locked away in a friends safe .

5. rackerly04

rackerly04 New Member

I have witnesses too some of the horror stories about this brand most of the junkers were 22`s. The timings seems spot on inn this one and it locks up tight.I'm gonna go test fire it with caution tomorrow. If all goes well I might make it the back up to my 1911

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

yah i never shot the 38.just be safe wear good protection intil your sure.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, a lot of folks will tell you how bad it is, with ever having had one.

These were made by Rohm in West Germany, and frankly, are low dollar guns. Many of their guns had frames and outer barrels made of a zinc alloy. The 1968 Gun Control Act barred their import, so they started shipping parts here for assembly here. Value is about $100-$150, depending on condition. Company reverted to making blank guns/ gas pistols, so parts will be an issue.

While not a really high quality firearm, yours is perhaps one of the better of the RG revolvers. Would avoid any of the high end .38 Special ammo (no to +P ammo) The Winchester White Box ammo is a lighter loaded FMJ with about a 130 gr bullet.

8. rackerly04

rackerly04 New Member

I'm with you c3 there are many gun snobs out there that since its not a main brand its junk. But that's there opinion.

I'm gonna run some federal lead heads through it.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sorry but no such thing :(

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Knock yourself out -
    (no pun intended) :eek:

11. rackerly04

rackerly04 New Member

Decided it would look better in od green

ForumRunner_20120513_184842.jpg

12. 4tsmith

4tsmith New Member

Some Europeans Who couldn't afford the price of a new motorcycle to purchase a Colt or S&W revolver,don't seem to have as smug a disregard for Smidt,Arminus or Rohm handguns that we do.
    That having been said:if this gun is tight it's probably ok with a moderate diet of standard power 38spl.loads.Over a period of time you should watch for frame stretch(increased barrel gap)or a loosening of the barrel(it's pinned for a VERY good reason)
    If yours has the stepped ejector rod (like the H&R Sentinels)that holds the cylinder crane in place at the front,it would probably be a good idea to take out the spring tension on the ejector rod to close the crane in hopes of not prematurely wearing out the frame(a common wear problem on soft alloy frames of unknown composition)
    For the detractors of the alloy frame,the EAA Windicator in 357 has an alloy white metal frame and I have seen several with thousands of rounds down range and still doing quite well.(I'm pretty confident that at least the early ones weren't aluminum, except for perhaps the barrel shroud)
    Even the S&W model 12, 37's had a reputation for stretching the frames if shot a lot or EVER with +p loads.(IMOPO)

After being verified,it still looks like a nice little BUG.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

At least the brand is semi-famous for something; that idjut shot Reagan, the traitor to firearms freedoms {spits}, with a RG in .22.
    Hey, maybe Jodie Foster would autograph it for you? :D

14. 4tsmith

4tsmith New Member

Are you saying that if I trade some of this plastic junk off for a classic RG- 22 that Jodie will finally realize that I'm the only one who could ever REALLY love her!!!?:confused::)

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Never know man, she really seemed to like that Kahr MK9 in that one movie. Cool chicks dig guns.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Back before the 1968 Gun Laws you could order an RG .22 thru the mail for $12.00. [Depending on your state laws] These little "Pot" metal pistols were called Sat.Night Specials by the Anti Gunners. :rolleyes:

17. AZL

AZL New Member

If you're hell bent for election to actually fire it, rather than set on the range post and shoot it....pleaase please PLEASE wear gloves as well as eyes and ears!

I saw one come apart...and I mean ALL THE WAY APART at an indoor range some years ago. The guy was firing hollow base wadcutters.

I hope it works out for you.

Be safe.

18. 4tsmith

4tsmith New Member

I'd never advise against common sense caution.I've found that leather gloves,an acrylic face shield and a leather forge apron for the first time firing of risky C&R or antiques isn't sissy stuff. Then again I might not slam flat faced wad cutters into the forcing cone of an older low end revolver no matter how mild they're reputed to be loaded.
    Personally I'd rather leave terms like "Saturday Night Special"and "Hotter Than a Two Dollar Pistol" to gun banning hacks who used those terms to dump on the constitutional rights of anyone who owned a gun with a barrel less than 4 inches,although most certainly the cheap guns are always a favorite SOFT TARGET for disarming the poor or disadvantaged FIRST.
    I sometimes wonder what a list of people who are still alive even though they could only afford an H&R,Iver Johnson,Hopkins&Allen,Lorcin,Rohm/Fie/ExCam..etc..etc...would look like.Bet it would be pretty impressive.:)

19. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Jodie Foster is about as rabid an anti-gun nut as ever existed. She just has no qualms about personal hypocrisy either... No big surprise there.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Doubt she owns a RG then :rolleyes: