Firearms Talk banner

Snubby – DAO vs. DA/SA Double Action Trigger Weight

896 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  headspace 
#1 ·
Okay, I’ve Google searched this question until I’m blue in the face, and somehow I don’t seem to be asking it right. So I’ll try it here.:)

I’m old school, and carried a Smith snubby with a shrouded hammer in a belt holster for years. But a couple of years ago, I decided it was silly to carry a revolver with a SA option seeing as how I always practiced DA. Besides, I think shrouded hammers (humpbacks) are ugly.

So, I went to a gunstore with the intention of replacing my old humpback snubby with a brand new Smith DAO snubby. However, when I dry fired the DAO snubby, I noticed the trigger weight was significantly heavier than the DA trigger weight I was used to. I then compared DAO trigger to the DA trigger of a new DA/SA snubby (without a shroud) and it was heavier than that too.:confused:

I asked the guy behind the counter about it, and he gave me an explanation that I, not being a gunsmith, didn’t quite understand. He explained something about the trigger of a DAO revolver being necessarily heavier to insure reliability because DAO revolvers are hammerless.o_O

Anyway, my question is; in simple terms can anyone explain to me why the DA trigger is heavier on a DAO snubby than it is on a DA/SA snubby? Or is it just my imagination? Please note – I’m NOT asking about the trigger of a DAO snubby compared to the SA trigger of a DA/SA snubby.

BTW, long story short – I replaced my old, ugly (IMO) humpback snubby with a new DA/SA snubby (without the shroud) because I like the DA trigger of a DA/SA snubby better than the trigger of a DAO snubby. And as far as that “snagging on clothing” thing goes – I belt carry anyway, so it’s not a concern to me.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you're mostly comparing J-frame Smiths; am I correct?

Over the years I've found J-frame Smiths to be notoriously heavy in the action/spring department and since I shoot
revolvers almost exclusively DA, I've never liked them though their size has merit. And they are meant for close range and under stress when the adrenaline will probably override the heavy DA trigger.

I prefer a Smith K-frame snubby DAO or not, to any J-frame. Ditto for the Colt D-frame revolvers.

For Ruger, I prefer the DA/SA or DAO only LCRs, the plastic guns. I think they are a good compromise in thinking about a 5-shooter like the J-frame Smith.

Rugers SP 101s I've always felt are just too heavy and I might as well put up with a Smith K-frame snubby.

#3 · (Edited)
I think you're mostly comparing J-frame Smiths; am I correct?
Yes sir, I'm exclusively comparing the double action triggers on DAO J-frame Smiths to the double action triggers on DA/SA J-frame Smiths.
It won't answer my question, but out of curiosity I'm probably going to take a look at one of those new Kimber revolvers this weekend. I like their looks.:)

#4 ·
The Kimber is the size of the Colt D-frame and is a 6-shot
revolver. It was designed around being only a DA only
revolver and I believe Grant Cunningham had some
input into its design. By D-frame I mean bigger than
the Smith J-frame but smaller than the Smith K-frame.

You might look up his books on the use of revolvers and particularly the snub nosed models. He is very much a revolver man.

His Shooters Guide to Handguns features prominently the use of the 3-inch Ruger GP 100 but also others. Another of his books is Defensive Revolver Fundamentals.

You'll also find him on the internet just by Googling Grant Cunningham. His "hump day" features (meaning Wednesday postings) are usually helpful and cover a
variety of subjects by other authors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.