Snow!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Feb 7, 2020.

1. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

On and off flurries today in northern Ohio 1581192807865.jpeg

2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Nah, not a fan.

dango, boatme98 and W.T. Sherman like this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

"Schnuff"

I am not a fan either!;)

Left Florida after teaching the past two weeks. Stayed South of Atlanta last night on the way back. A snow storm was in the forecast for this morning and unfortunately they were correct for a change! It started at 7:30am. Thank God we left the hotel early because knowing Atlanta I am sure later the storm hit shortly after we left and Atlanta would became impassable with wrecks. We hit it South of Atlanta in Georgia when it began and it was bad! Cars sliding off the road and some could not make is up the hills and those scared to death driving 25 MPH. And dealt with it through Georgia and South into Tennessee. Did not run out of it until close to Sparta TN. It cleared up and the sun was out! Being originally from Indiana I am fairly use to driving in real bad winter weather. So even pulling the trailer we did not have much difficulty although the Chevy 2500 4X4 came in handy. But Glad to be back home in Tennessee and safe!!!!!!
    We did get 2 inches here in the hills while we were gone once. But none left on the ground today.:)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  4. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

They are calling for 4 to 6" here tonight .
    We have around 4" of ice snow on the ground now so it may get interesting .

Rifling82, dango and boatme98 like this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

scared to death is a understatement when I see a car/truck with Georgia/Florida license plates barreling past me on the interstate when the interstate hasn't been cleared.

I mean it's bad enough that a lot of Ohioans can't drive in the snow, but to see some jackwagon from a deep southern state, wiz by like it's no big thing, that could have lost control and side swiped me, brings a whole new meaning to scared.

hey, just because you have a 4 wheel drive truck, doesn't mean you are invincible Cletus. a patch of ice is all it takes and your 4 wheel drive is moot

dango likes this.
  6. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I miss this
    f081703_.jpg
    this was about 15:00 today.
    I'd be cleaning up and getting ready to head to the condo to pick up the girlfriend for an evening out. Maybe a light jacket necessary.

dango, OLD Ron, PeeJay1313 and 2 others like this.
  7. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I learned to drive in the snowy mountains of Colorado. I probably drive faster in foul weather than anyone should and I drive cautiously in the southern Tennessee ice storms.

dango and boatme98 like this.
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sherman you are right! Most who maybe haven't driven a 4X4 as much as I have over 30 years puts too much faith in what they can and can not do.

dango, boatme98 and W.T. Sherman like this.
  9. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm from the mountains of N. Georgia, and have driven in snow enough to know it's treacherous but doable, but on ice will hurt you. A cousin of mine joined the Army after hs, and was sent to Alaska after boot camp. He said first thing they taught him there was how to drive 60mph on snow. He didn't much like Alaska, and only did the one hitch, then went back South and stayed where snowblowers aren't a thing one needs.

10. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Glad he went home. Wish he'd have taken a few more folks with him.
    Local radio guy said it best a few years ago. "If you think it's dangerous for you to be driving in these conditions YOU'RE RIGHT! Please stay home so the rest of us can get where we're going."

schnuffleupagus, dango and OLD Ron like this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple or years ago we had a dusting of snow on New Years Eve. It was officially A Cold Day in Hell.

W.T. Sherman, dango and boatme98 like this.
  12. boatme98

You're in Michigan?

W.T. Sherman and dango like this.
  13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I had to fire up the chainsaw to get out of here today a large 8" limb landed smack in the middle of my driveway. We had a day and a half of rain and then it got cold (7 F) right now so it's very crunchy, all the trees are ice covered and it never went above freezing all day.
    Just another day in "Vacation Land".

14. crash11049

crash11049 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't want to jinx myself... but in Jersey, the 1 flurry I saw lasted about an hour and melted as soon as it hit the ground.
    This winter so far has been rain and high winds.
    Makes sense when the local Sears store went out, I got a great deal on a snow blower.

15. boatme98

I check the Manasquan Inlet cam and weather almost every day.
    Coastal Jersey weather has been running pretty consistently close to what the weather here in mid Tennessee has been. Just a few weeks when it's been too much colder.

W.T. Sherman, dango and crash11049 like this.
  16. crash11049

crash11049 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in the Corson inlet / Hearfords inlet area in Stone Harbor during the summer a bit south of that I think.
    And yes the weather has been mild this year.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    boatme98, W.T. Sherman and dango like this.
  17. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

We've got about 8 inches , most of it Great Lakes effect . Been snowing about an inch a day . As long as there is so little ice on the lakes , it'll keep on snowing . If I were in better shape , I'd be back woods skiing . Dang !

boatme98, W.T. Sherman and crash11049 like this.
  18. boatme98

I used to have a house Oceanside in Avalon. Can't remember exactly where, 35th or 36th St. I'd guess.

crash11049 likes this.