Snow....!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Dec 31, 2013.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , I,m sitting here next to my fire place looking out the big picture window watching the snow pile up . Beautiful really .

The weather channel says that by Friday morning , it,s really going to pile up . Now Friday morning , I,ve got a really important doctor visit . Where we live , there is no road maintenance , no plowing , gravel , nothing .! :eek:

Do you think that bothers me .? Naw.! I t is 300 ft. From my garage to to manageable road . I have a Warn winch with 95 ft steel cable , (4 ton) , and 300 ft. 2000 lbs. rope . Just enough to get me to the road..!

It may take 15 minutes longer to get there , but here I come..! :)

Speaking of winches , does anybody make a plug in remote extension that will help me reach the cab of my truck . Right now , it,s only eight feet long and not long enough to reach . It takes tow people , one to steer and one to hit the button.!

2. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

Should be fairly easy to find, have you tried 4wheelparts.com?

It is 45 outside and the sun is shining here, but dang I AM FREEZING! Us Zonies have thin blood I suppose. ;) Post up some pics! I like looking at that white stuff that falls from the sky on the computer. :LOL:

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Two feet of snow. :p

Attached Files:

4. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

5. dango

Wow , not only are we getting a lot of snow , it,s going to be -4 with 20+ winds .
    That,s like a 30 below zero wind chill...! Brrrrrrr..!

6. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Dango cut the end off and get a return to center toggle.Mount it on your dash. Wire it so that up is in and down is out(down and out). Makes it easier to remember.:)

7. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Dango I thought I thought you were only about 60-70 miles to the east of me, all of that seems to be skipping right over us.

8. dango

For you my queen................!

Attached Files:

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Dango you down in Australia ??? Your pictures are upside down. Lol

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Wireless winch control. Warn part #90287. Amazon has them for $116.

11. stag556

stag556 New Member

Maybe hes a bat!! Its been pretty cold by me as well, -8 and 25 mph winds. By my parents it was -22 without the wind chill. Guess were supposed to get 11 inches of snow over the next couple of days. Been doing a lot of ice fishing and just made a batch of herring from a northern I caught. Nothing better than pickled hearing and cold beer!!!!!

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

As you know the winch controls are made for operating outside the cab. Setting in a cab when a cable snaps or the hook comes lose is an ugly way to die. They always launch right thru the windshield at mach speed. :eek:

13. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

Dango I thought you had skills! McCool posted his 2 feet of snow and you were standing on your head? :D:p

14. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Having spent the better part of 51 years playing in the offroad world and having to pull winch cable a time or 2(probably the actual number would be in the 100's) I have to disagree with this for a couple of reasons. First a winch will not work at full capacity at engine idle speed. The engine has to be at around 2000 rpm to get full alternator out put to get the full capacity of the winch. At engine idle it won't do much more than take the slack out of the cable.I have seen some guys hook up cables to the accelerator to set the throttle so they don't have to hold there foot on the accelerator but an after market winch doesn't come with that. So someone has to be in the cab. Second I have seen a few cables break in that time and I have yet to see one hit the windshield directly. I would much rather have safety glass between me and a flying cable as nothing.The preferred safety measure is to throw a blanket ,jacket or floor mat across the cable so if it does break it will rap up and slow the trajectory and to get everyone back out of the way. If your standing outside the vehicle operating the remote you can't be out of the way.

15. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

When using a winch it is a good idea to place weight on the cable, something like an moving blanket, coat, or even a floor mat. If the cable were to break, the weight of the blanket will force the cable down as it recoils back towards the winch. If you inspect, and lube your wire rope regularly you can avoid most breakages, and when performing a pull when your good and stuck a snatch block effectively doubles your cable rating.

16. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Rock. Another way to the idle up is put an electric solenoid on the throttle linkage under the hood. Install a switch on the dash and when you flip on the switch instant "cruise control" you set the rpm by how far the linkage is pulled by the solenoid. Chevy used to use solenoids on the s-10 blazers for the rear hatch pop ( 1980's and 1990's) that work perfect for that. I have set up trucks with a switch on the dash and also so that the solenoid would engage on winch in when using the hand held control.

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Were sitting at about 16 degrees right now, 1' of snow on the ground and 2' predicted within the next 48 hours, dropping near zero with 15 mile an hour gusts. Im guessing tomorrow aint gonna be much fun here, better fuel up the Cubby Rig, check the chains and TP's and get ready to move some snow! Its an oldey goldey with a few cantankerocities about her but she will power through 3' of snow in a short time if she starts at all!

Dango, your already screwed up physically, better get some options that dont risk the parts that are still working!

A winch isnt a bad idea but shouldnt be your first solution at home if you can help it. They can be very hard on the vehicle and the trees you tie them to to drag them through ice and snow (Creating other issues if you dont get it all out of the undercarriage before you head on down the road). Add to that a winch cable snapping can take your head off before you can blink and I would try to get an extension for the actuator and a Cub Cadet with a good blower on the front, a cheap investment if injury is a result of doing otherwise!

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Hang in there buddy, you can do it !.................

19. dango

Well , good advice but I bought a 4 inch 5 ton webbing strap so,s I don,t hurt my beautiful trees and I have the optional kit with snatch block , pulleys , etc.!
    Also , I have my least favorite neighbor lie on the cable should it snap.! You also mentioned "can be hard on truck " ..! What exactly did you mean , hard on what ? I have a deep cycle 1500 amp marine battery just for the winch so I don,t put
    Undo stress on my truck alt..?

Please to elaborate..? The hard on truck part..? :confused:

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Hard on Shafts, linkages, sensors, pans and tanks that are dragging through frozen Ice/ snow, gravelm hidden tree branches and chunky water. Those things werent designed to have that type of strain on them and can be bent or damaged contacting with something a sturdy plow blade can have a hard time pushing out of the way.

Just be careful K?