Snow wheel drive

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

So now it's Oklahoma's turn to get hammered by this storm that's sweeping across the country. I work about 30 miles away from my house and there's no way in hell I'm driving my car (it's a little Audi) so I commandeered my sisters wrangler because my family is out of town for Christmas. My question is, while it is 4-wheel drive, do I need high or low gear? I've taken it mudding and what not on the river and always use high but I haven't driven it in the snow yet

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

hi should be fine, low is for crawling off road ;)

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'll be sure to throw it in low then haha I'm excited for the drive home since they're predicting 4-6" but when they said that 2 years ago, it ended up bringing 12 foot snow drifts

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It will be a long drive in low. Just stick with high. And unless you have 6"+ on the roads, your Audi should be fine with decent tires. I have no problems here in Iowa with my VW.

5. Huntbear

Huntbear New Member

4 wheel high. Just remember 4x4 does not mean it stops any faster... it will get you going, and keep you going, but WILL NOT help you stop.. Give yourself lots of room.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Well here's our "super snow storm" we were supposed to have... I wasn't really impressed but still loved the fact I was able to pull a few people out of the snow drifts that were found. It was mainly ice covered by a couple inches of snow

Attached Files:

7. ScottA

Snow on ice is much worse than snow alone.

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

We got 15" last night, I just got done moving it all out of the driveway with my older cub cadet and blower attachment. Luckily (Purposely), Both My Wife and I have 4WD and we just drive right through it. Snows still coming down pretty good, prolly another 6 to 8" more before it blows through later on tonight. NBD, just another day in Upstate paradise! If we were in NYC, FEMA would be lining up to help, here, whe just move the crap and drive on.

As far as 4wd goes, u better have more snow than me to drive one on the road in Low 4, High 4 is fine on 2-12", u just have to slow way down and be careful with the brake and the changes in direction, if the road has dry or barely wet spots, 2 WD. 4WD will throw you like a bronco and send you off in every which direction except where U want to go if your not careful.

9. tri70

tri70 New Member

I used to have an 84' CJ7, I had 33" mud/snow tires but if I got in snow I had to be extra careful, Jeeps will slide easy. I drove in 4 HI in snow, but we get the same weather usually, ice/snow mix.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

4 low is for pulling my big brothers f250 turbo diesel and plow out of the mudd and snow with my little ram 1500. lol. 4 high is for normal driving. in sucky conditions. its great for going. has no effect on stopping.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I only used it once really and that was to pull a little sports car out of a drift because she "thought it didn't look that deep"

12. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Tires make a bigger difference than whether the vehicle has four wheel, all wheel, front, or rear wheel drive. Clearance too, in the case of deep / blowing snow.

I have Blizzaks on my RWD BMW and do better than most of the SUVs and Jeeps on slick roads.

Experience plays a lot into it too; lots of folks get 4WD / AWD / FWD thinking they're immune to slimy roads. I saw dozens of them in the ditch driving into Michigan from Chicago last weekend.

13. ScottA

Quoted for truth.

14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

damn straight. for 8 years, my daily driver was my '65 Galaxie, only got it stuck twice & that was from me screwin around. most times a careful foot & good tires are all you need.

15. WebleyFosbery38

Like my old Cordoba! It was a monster in the snow with good tire, just had to try to keep my foot out of the carb. I loved the sound of that Thermo-Quad kicking in but wouldnt have liked to put gas in it today! Pass anything but a gas station! The poor thing died protecting its stupid owner at 60 MPH against a 5' wide Maple tree! I nearly died, the tree and Cordoba both bit the dust...

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

If you only have 2WD, you’re just not able to get stuck as far off the road as you could if you had 4WD.

17. WebleyFosbery38

So true! We were much more careful when the plows only came half as often and rarely spread salt. Stay in the paths and fight the urge to turn the wheel quick or slam on the breaks and just kinda putter along. Ive had 4WD for 20+ years (Boonies in Upstate NY) and will never be without it but its for the really crappy 5% of the worst weather I own it, not daily usage by any means. I might use it to get out of my driveway in a few minutes (4" of fresh snow Im to lazy to move, I will get it later!) but will turn it off immediately when I hit the hardball even though theirs a good inch of crap on the road.

I would suggest owners of 4WD's engage it on a strait-away/ in the rain/ in any snow/ every month or at least every couple cause things that dont get used often dont work when you need them most. Ive got new tires and my Dakota will plow through most anything as long as I am not in a dumb hurry.

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

4WD/low is for pulling other people out who got stuck because they thought they could go anywhere because they had 4WD.

19. ScottA

Ah yes... the rich Corinthian leather.

My grandmother had one of those. Always liked that car.