Sniper rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Colt454, Jun 23, 2019.

1. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

I have a sixty-year old Unertl - looks like new.

I have ten El Paso-made Weavers - ALL look like new.

In my little collection I have six WW1-era scopes and few from between 1900 and 1915. They are all fairly good, but the Voigtlander from 1912 beats them, although very close behind in a C.P. Goertz close behind of Berlin with the rifle number stamped on it. If you have rifle number 3285 [Gew nr 3285], and can prove it, the scope is yours.

The No32 telescopic sight was used by ALL the Commonwealth snipers in WW2, not just the Australians, who also used them with great effect on the Late Hirohito's Own. My late Uncle Geoff was a sniper in the Royal Regiment of Canada, and he had a Long Branch No4[T] with such a scope.

In WW2 the Germans were having as hard time again with the rubber problem, so they invented a rubber substitute - look up Buna.

2. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

With the .303 sniper rifles if the numbers all match on the rifle and the scope is also matched to the rifle your basically sitting on a small goldmine.
    As to the effectiveness of telescopic vs open sights during WW1 an Australian sniper Billy Sing had a very impressive tally using open sights at Gallipoli and in WW2 an Australian sniper with open sights took out The Tiger Of Singapore(I think that was what he was called) around 300yds as he stepped off the boat.
    WW1 Allied telescopic sights weren't all that good compared to German optics at the time but they still worked fairly well.

sheriffjohn likes this.

3. tac foley

Meanwhile, back over on the Western Front, Canada had Corporal Francis Peghamagabow...

sheriffjohn likes this.
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain was right on the Vietnam Sniper's Rifles. Carlos Hathcock had a Model 70 Winchester that had simply been tweaked to perfection by the Armorers at Quantico. I have a Pre-Model 70 made in 1955 with one of the older traditional Weaver Scopes. It is a very accurate rifle and also in 30-06 cal. Carlos was a tremendous shot and had been involved in Match Shooting and achieved great success prior to being deployed as a Marine Corp Sniper! Later there was other Sniper Rifles in Vietnam like Remington's and the M-21 which was a Match Grade M-14.:) But some of todays hunting rifles are very capable of shooting sub 1 MOA Groups.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. reidsn

reidsn New Member

I like my BA110 .300WM

6. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Reviving this thread.

Went to the range yesterday (don’t worry, we were all more than 6’ apart) to alleviate some cabin fever. The RO had his personal Rem 700 TAC with 16” barrel looking pretty lonely on a bench by itself. He said it’s had some custom work and I noticed the Leupold scope had AO adjustments, never seen that before. He told me to go ahead and shoot it and he’d give me some pointers, I went from 1” groups to punching the same hole inside twenty minutes. Also the first time I used a squeeze bag combined with a bipod, really takes all the guesswork out of it. I’ll also say 16” barrel 308 with custom loads gets tiring real fast!

OLD Ron, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If I were going to buy a true "general purpose" sniping rifle today, I get the one being used by the army and MC.

The Knight's Armament M110. Several scopes are used, but one of the most popular is the Night Force 4-16X42 ATAC-R

m110.jpeg

Sierra 173, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The problem with only having a 16" barrel on a 308 is it really takes away from it's useful range because the velocity drops way off. Besides being loud as hell for the shooter without a suppressor.

OLD Ron, alsaqr and locutus like this.
  9. TankTop

Couldn’t agree more, if I ever found myself in a very bad situation I’d definitely give up a touch in accuracy for 25 rounds.

10. TankTop

Yep, the guy was nice but tried to sound a bit overqualified, he gave me some good pointers though. The scope was also massive overkill for a 16” rifle but a kick in the pants at 100 yards.

11. TankTop

I had to look

[​IMG]

12. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

dang, for that much money you can buy 2 BARRETT 50s

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Thing that I like most about the M110 is it's versatility.

It's accurate enough for 1,000 yard sniping, yet light enough and handy enough for a near perfect "designated marksman" role.

And with the semi-auto action and hi-cap mag it could be pressed into service as an infantry rifle.

American Heroes channel included a a segment on the M110 in a recent program of "The 10 best sniper rifles."

towboater likes this.
  14. tac foley

The British Army and the Royal Marines went for the LMT in 7.62x51 with the Schmidt & Bender scope for the designated marksman role.

So did many others....

locutus likes this.