snared coyote

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by adamhale, Jan 27, 2010.

1. adamhale

adamhale New Member

I snared my first coyote last night Im not doin to bad for trapping for 2 weeks

Attached Files:

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That's a biggun, adamhale.

Don't suppose you'd share some secrets with a fellow Ohioan? You can even send them by PM if you want. Around here, they are gettin a bit thick.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Sweet catch Adamhale!
    Looks like a big 'un with nice fur! What did it weigh?
    ---------Gate

4. adamhale

adamhale New Member

not sure what he weighed I would guess about 40-45 pounds

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Nice catch! I don't have the talent to do that. I tend to shoot the miserable Bas*****. I have a about six (guessing from their yapping at night) within a few hundred yards of my house. I don't know if I dare call them in any closer to the house though.

If you're ever in northeastern Vermont, you could probably keep busy all winter trapping them.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

A coyote like that around here would be a monster! What do you do with them? Use the fur? Please tell me you don't eat them!!

7. adamhale

adamhale New Member

were are you from. and no i dont eat them we tan the hides

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

9. adamhale

adamhale New Member

skullcrusher. all I do is set my snares on about every trail I can find and i dont touch them again unless i catch somthing in them or they get knocked over. The coyotes will eventualy use the trail

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I got that, but is there a brand or type of snare you use? Do you bait them? I am in the hilly southern part of Ohio. During muzzleloader season, I came across several paths in the snow and even some markings of territory. I can hear them almost every night, but rarely see them. Just looking for pointers to help diminish the population a bit...:D

11. adamhale

adamhale New Member

here is a website that will tell you every thing you need and how to make snares or you can order some from ebay or a trapping supply store. I need to get some more my self it is a little cheaper to order some but I like to say i made the snares that i catch my coyotes with. No I dont bait them. snares for yotes should be 10-12 inches off the ground with a 10 inch loop

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I think you forgot the link.

13. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Nice animal you got there!

My question is, how long does the coyote stay trapped before you kill it?
    I usually don’t like this kind of hunting because I don’t think it is very challenging and I find that the pain you put the animal into is saddening.
    Plus it is dangerous for hunters and their dogs who might be passing by the area where the traps are set :S

14. adamhale

adamhale New Member

it just takes a minute or so and there should not be any other hunters or dogs on the property if there is they would be trespasing!!

15. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

nice big yote

WoW that thing looks like a malamute dog it sure is a big sucks :D

16. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I am going to echo the posts "That is a big Coyote."