Snap Caps for New Handgun Owners

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Jagermeister, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Most first time handgun buyers opt for a semi-auto, so I will focus on this type of handgun. For those new to shooting, snap caps are an important tool for semi-auto handgun training.

1. They are the exact size of real ammo, and safe for your magazines.
    2. They are normally colored to avoid mistaking for real ammo.
    3. They allow you to safely practice loading, reloading and slide manipulation.
    4. They allow you to safely practice failures to fire (bad ammo) and misfeeds (magazine issues).
    5. They allow you to safely practice self-defense scenarios at the range and in the home.
    6. They offer a safe dry fire method to practice trigger pull and hand eye coordination. Some guns can be damaged by continual dry fire without snap caps.
    7. You can alternate between live ammo and snap caps to work on flinching, gun control and failures to fire.
    8. Cheaper then using real ammo for basic skills, and snap caps are reusable. I paid around 20 dollars for five rounds of both the .40 and 9mm.

Snap caps also help in training with bolt action rifles, semi-auto rifles and revolvers. You will find snap caps for most calibers.

Please feel free to add more suggestions for snap cap usage, or ask questions.....

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  2. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

What he said!

I use them all the time for training :)

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Yep, very hand to have.

4. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I use them for dry fire practice, all the time.

Dry firing is an excellent way to practice.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Good for basic function testing when cycling an action indoors or anywhere you don't want to shoot. Protects the firing pin from peening on some firearms where dry firing could cause damage.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As stated they are a very valuable training tool. And especially for malfunction clearing drills. They are also excellent to use when attempting to correct a flinch problem with a new or even older shooters as dummy rounds mixed into the magazine! For dry fire training you want to be sure to get the ones with a polymer or nylon insert as a primer. The last much longer and protect the firing pin and firing pin channel of the weapon.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've always said for what they cost you can't go wrong with snap caps. Peopel ask all the time is dry fire OK? Maybe but the caps will make sure it is. They are a great training tool and cheap insurance policy for your striker/firing pin.