Snakeskin cut slide

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by K305, Dec 24, 2012.

1. K305

K305 New Member

Does anybody know of a gunsmith that specializes in slide cuts? I saw a scaled cut slide on Springfield operator that would look cool on my glock 17

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I know of two. They will only deal in metal slides though

3. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Does the Springfeild not have a metal slide.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Springfield does, Dlocks don't and that's what the OP wants it done to

5. FullautoUSA

Glock does have a metal slide, but a polymer frame.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Let me rephrase that-they only work on STEEL not aluminum that's 1/16 thick

7. FullautoUSA

I'm sure that an engraver could do it.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wut da hell? 1/16" is like the thickness of a soup can. The GLOCK does not have a 1/16" thick slide, and the slide isn't made of aluminum. It's steel.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What the hell you doin takin up for Dlocks???? The slides on the damn things aren't much thicker than 1/16". Ya they might be steel but its really low grade steel trip

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

There's a huge difference between taking up for them, and telling the truth. The slide walls actually look a touch thicker than a 1911 (by the MKI Eyeball visual sensory device) and their steel is actually pretty decent quality, the same grade that many 1911's are made of.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well iv never had a 1911 blow apart in my hands so........

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's because they have fully supported chambers...

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Very true. 99% of em isn't polymer neither

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

To the OP;

The tennifer (spelling?) process hardens the slide which is made of high quality tool steel, to a similar Rockwell hardess of a diamond. I'm not sure of the sidewall thickness. It is recommended to buy a replacement slide from capsain(spelling?) that are not as hard. It is reported that modifying the slides, eat up tools, money, and time due to the hardness. Good luck, then post pics.

15. FullautoUSA

Marlinman, you can't hate on Glock, they make good guns, don't get me wrong I'd take a 1911 over a Glock any day, but you have to give them credit, they make a reliable, robust, inexpensive combat gun.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If Glocks are what floats your boat then use them. Ill stick to guns I've never had blow up on me or break in my hands.

17. FullautoUSA

I'll choose 1911 over Glock any day but Glock is not a bad gun is all I'm saying

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

At least if you are going to hate on Glocks stick to facts. They have solid steel slides that are machined, with one of the best protective surface metal treatments out there.

A 1911 can Kaboom too.
    [​IMG]

I love 1911s. But there is enough misinformation ou there that we don't need to spread more by indicating that Glock slides are made out of pot metal, or aluminum or thin gauge steel.

Glock slide facts:
    "The rectangular slide is milled from a single block of ordnance-grade steel using CNC machinery.[32] The barrel and slide are treated with a proprietary nitriding process called Tenifer. The slide and barrel undergo two hardening processes prior to the Tenifer treatment, applied in a 500 °C nitrate bath.[31] The Tenifer finish is between 0.04 mm (0.0016 in) and 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) in thickness, and is characterized by extreme resistance to wear and corrosion; it penetrates the metal, and treated parts have similar properties even below the surface to a certain depth.[33] The Tenifer process produces a matte gray-colored, non-glare surface with a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating and a 99% resistance to salt water corrosion (which meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications),[32] making the Glock particularly suitable for individuals carrying the pistol concealed as the highly chloride-resistant finish allows the pistol to better endure the effects of perspiration.[33] Glock pistols with their Tenifer treatment are more corrosion-resistant than analogous guns on the market with any other type of finish, including Teflon, bluing, hard chrome plating, phosphates and other alloys.[33] After applying the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized decorative surface finish is applied. The underlaying Tenifer treatment will remain protecting these parts even if the decorative surface finish were to wear off.[5]" -quoted from the Wikipedia website.

If you don't like 'em fine. Just don't lie about 'em. There are enough features and characteristics that can be legitimately disliked that you would not stand alone, without the misinformation.

19. FullautoUSA

I think this proves that 1911's and Glock's are both great guns and both can eventually break- it is rare because both are made with such great craftsmanship, in my opinion 1911 will beat a Glock any day, but that is my opinion, others may like Glock and that is a great choice too.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Nah bro, GLOCK will never be the gun that even the sorriest 1911 is... ;)