Smith wesson saturday night special

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jackal6, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

A guy I work with told me he'd sell me his S W Saturday night special for 150 bucks, I still have some research to do on it but it seems like a good deal to me I haven't seen it yet but he says its in real good condition what do u wise people say?

2. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I forgot he doesn't know what model it is but ill post pics when he sends them too me

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a Ford truck. What is a good price?

That is what you just asked. S&W has been making guns for 161 years, and has made (literally) tens of millions of handguns- none of which were "Saturday Night Specials"

Get us some pictures, get us the markings, and we can probably tell you what it is. But you should understand that not everything that says "S&W" on it is in fact a Smith & Wesson firearm..You see, they also invented several of the cartridges, and named them. So if a gun is marked 32 S&W or 38 S&W, it is in that CALIBER, but could have been made by several companies.

Value of ANY gun is based on exact Make, Model, Variety and Condition. Without those 4 items, we are back to the Ford truck.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Definition of a Saturday night special is basically a low end poorly made gun,Smith and Wesson's are not poorly made,they are the best.I'm sure he was just referring to some kind of snub nose .38 made by S&W,and even in not great condition that's a good deal no matter the model if the cylinder locks up tight and it all checks out in shootable condition.

5. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

Ya I'm trying to get a pic sent right now, he said it was a 38 so that's all I know

6. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

My friend just text me an said its a model 36 does this help?

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A S&W Model 36 is most absolutely NOT a Saturday Night Special! Did you think that any snub-nosed revolver was called by that name? Just wondering.

Unless it has pitting in the finish or rust or something horrible, I think $150 is a really good deal. Just open the cylinder to check that it is unloaded, point in a safe direction, and pull the trigger 10+ times. Does it cycle well? Any scratchiness or crunchiness, indicating internal rust?

If it checks out, pay him as quickly as possible so he doesn't change his mind.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  8. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

"Sat. nite special" Is a LEFT wing pejorative. And IS NOT used in polite society.

9. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I'd never heard the term before so I thought it was just a term for less expensive revolvers I ment no disrespect to anyone and apologize if I've offended anyone it was simply a lack of knowledge I'm still new to the world of handguns revolvers even more so

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Originally called the Chief's Special, the Model 36 is a small (J frame) 5 shot double action 38 Special, made with a 2 inch (or rarely a 3 inch) barrel. depending on the condition, AROUND $250-$300. Usually blued, sometimes nickel plated.

model 36.jpg

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Nickel brings a premium, right?

We're not offended, just wanting to encourage proper terms. For example, if anybody calls a magazine a "clip", more than one person will correct them. Just helping each other out. Welcome!

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

They are neat small handguns. Target Mdls were very accurate.

Attached Files:

• 36.jpg
      36.jpg
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
  13. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

Well thank you :)

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I always stick clips in my semi auto handguns,and I also like my .38spl "pistol" and load magazines in my drop plate bolt gun...I adjust my sights by the heighty droppy,lefty righty on the range and load just bullets in my guns ;)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Be careful. A bunch of knock off guns were made, especially in Spain. Many have the caliber PROMINENTLY displayed ".38 Smith and Wesson Special". These are NOT S&W revolvers. They are inexpensive clones chambered in .38 S&W Spl.

16. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

How well do you know this guy? That seems like a very low price for a mod. 36. Is there a chance it might be a bit "warm?" (Stolen?) If you have any doubts about the deal, ask him to meet you at the police station to close the deal and see how he reacts.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

THIS is probably more correct than other assumptions for the price posted.

The term Saturday Night Special is not normally used with quality firearms.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special

18. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

image-2849240594.jpg

This is the only pic I have so far and the guys a good buddy of mine he said his dad gave it to him, he's just doing me a huge favor selling it for so cheap I'm not worried about it being stolen

19. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Thats my fav model, i love those model 36's.... you may be taking advantage of your freind.

20. Garadex

Garadex New Member

You evil evil man.