Smith & Wesson Model 500

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by WDB, Jul 21, 2009.

1. WDB

WDB New Member

A friend called me and said that he has S&W 500. I've known him for years and he recently got into shooting but it seemed like a huge leap. I have shot for years and don't own anything that size. He told me a family member gave it to him to repay a debt.

So the question is beside the expected recoil what else should I know about this pistol? I own a few wheel guns in 357 mag, 44 mag and 45 but haven't shot a 500 mag. He said it has a 9" barrel so that will help with the recoil. He's excited to shoot it so we will be going out to the woods in the next week to pop some rounds.

Anyoneone one here own one of these or spent any lenght of time shooting one?

Thanks in advance

2. 753X0

753X0 New Member

I own the 4" version. I don't think you'll have any problems with recoil S&W did a great job with that brake.
    The recoil is more like a big boom and push as opposed the sharp crack of the 44 Mag.

3. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

M500

I think you will be able to adjust to the recoil. The downside to me is
    the horrendous muzzle blast and factory ammunition is rather pricey.
    Good luck.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Any chance of some pics of you guys trying it out, preferably unedited?

5. 753X0

753X0 New Member

The National Geographic channel is showing a program tonight, I think it's called Factory floor. They are showing the engineering, building and firing the S&W 500. 7:00 PM EST

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  6. WDB

WDB New Member

Funny and no help at all ...:rolleyes:

Looking for people who have expereince with big boy guns:eek:

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks for the info.
    I'm looking forward to shooting it
    Why did you buy the pistol?

8. 753X0

753X0 New Member

Both I and Trex have told you what to expect. Don't be so afraid of it. Look it up on youtube and see people shooting it. My little sister in law shot mine a few times. Like I said before, the recoil feels more like a big boom and shove than a real sharp crack like the 44 Mag. If you can handle the 44 than you can handle the 500.

9. 753X0

753X0 New Member

I hunt primarily with handguns, and wanted to try this one out. I prefer the 4", the extra barrel length isn't needed. I'm only losing about 150 fps, with my loads. I getting 1430 fps from a 350 gr XTP FP, and great accuracy.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Never thought I expressed I was afraid of the the firearm, certian I asked for expereince with the firearm. I've shot 50 cal rounds full auto and shot some in a bolt action in my time. As much as I hide the fact on this forum I own a DE in 50 cal. The three examples above differ greatly. I expect this firearm differs as well. Asking what I should know about the firearm.

I check youtube, saw the good and bad.
    No fear of the pistol, like to get some solid advice before I shoot a pistol I'm not use to.

11. 753X0

753X0 New Member

I really don't think that is an appropriate comment, when people have already chimed in to help you out.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

I believe I accepted those that offered input to my OP.
    I expect orangello took no offense to my post
    He's a fellow supporting member and someone I respect
    Might of chimed in here juust to ring my bell:)
    If your shorts are still in a bunch PM him and ask for his thoughts

13. 753X0

753X0 New Member

Shorts in a bunch???
    You're the one who made the above post after I and Trex tried to help you out.
    You didn't say you and Orangello had some sort of inside joke.
    As far as trying to intimidate me, by sending me PM's stating you paid 15 bucks to be a supporting member, you have to be kidding. You think you own this place?????

14. orangello

orangello New Member

None taken, pretty much {ding ding}, and would enjoy watching someone shoot that hand cannon for their first time if you guys take a celly or digicam (especially if somebody makes a girly scream). :D

15. WDB

WDB New Member

Lighten up....a whole bunch, why pick a fight where there is no reason for it? Do you or Trex have any pictures or vid shooting this beast? It would be good to see. The PM was to express that OG and I know each other and I didn't punk him. The $15 is a SM fee, doesn't mean I own this place, just contribute to making it all it can be.

What's up with all the anger?

16. WDB

WDB New Member

I will take some vid when we go shoot. I sent him some Utube vids (bad idea) and he's not so excited to go shoot it. All the same I want to shoot the pistol and might work out a trade, he likes my mose tact shotgun and my P95. Seems like a fair trade for something he doesn't like/want and something I would like to add to the collection.

The girly scream might be hard to get;)

17. 753X0

753X0 New Member

WDB, actually that wouldn't be a bad trade, IMHO.
    The shots on youtube are mostly people trying to Punk each other.
    If you just hold a little muscle tension, not alot, and let the gun kick you can shoot a whole box through it.
    The biggest mistake is people being afraid of the gun, (btw I was speaking in generalities when I made that comment), and gripping too tightly, and fighting the recoil. When you do this the gun just has a chance to hurt you. Just let the gun buck, while holding a little tension in your shoulders, elbows, wrist. You'll do just fine.

18. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks 753,
    I think it would be a fair trade a couple of firearms he is good with using/wants and I get an odd one to put in the safe and shoot on occasion. The price of the ammo pretty much makes this a "every now and then pistol". I'm not concerned with shooting the pistol, I was looking more for info from those that own the pistol and how it holds up over time. It's a lot of energy being expressed and I had concerned how the pistol holds up over time.

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The X frame S&W model 500 is more of a straight back push due to the excellent design of the muzzlebreak. It has much less muzzle rise than I expected. It IS LOUD so I recommend wearing earplugs & muffs both. Honestly-the 500 "kicks" less & has much less muzzle rise than an .454 Casull with no muzzlebreak. I've even shot them with 1 hand. Quit your worrying-if I can shoot 1 with the steel plate & all the nuts/bolts in my right wrist I'm sure you can. The ONLY reason I don't get 1 is because I already have the Casull & I wouldn't be able to afford to feed the 500.