Smith & Wesson Model 30-1

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Sep 12, 2013.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Well I just put a Smith & Wesson model 30-1 on lay a way today. For those unfamiliar with the gun, it is a .32 S&W long 6 shot revolver that was made between 1948-1976 and came in either blue or nickel and in 1961 they changed from a I frame to the J frame and called it 30-1 instead of just model 30. They came with different barrel lengths, although I haven't measured mine by looking at it I would say its the shortest they came which is a 2 inch, mine is also blued, not nickel, and by serial number I believe it to be from 1969. Here are some pictures, I know they're not the greatest pics, but I took them with my cell phone. Pictures really don't do the gun justice, as it is between 90-95% overall condition.

Attached Files:

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Not that it matters but they had 1 7/8" barrels. The .32 S&W fired from a short barrel is accurate but lacking in power. The Colt PP in .32 S&W was popular long ago. They are fun to shoot.

Attached Files:

3. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I read up on the model but the best I could and I thought this particular model was 2" was the shortest barrel, I could be wrong though it wouldn't be the first time. I'm just assuming my barrel is a 2" by looks, I could be wrong on what size mine is. When I do get it home, probably won't be for 3-4 months I'll measure it and know for fact what barrel size mine is. May not be the most powerful round, but I bought it mainly for target use only, not as a carry gun or home defense, though I suppose if I wanted to or needed to I could carry it or use it for home defense....you put 6 holes of .32 in to someone and I'm sure it will stop them.

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Nice looking little Smith.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree, looks nice. Good job.

6. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Well there was a shift on my finances, and I was able to get the gun paid off sooner. I paid it off Friday, and since Illinois has the mandatory 72 hour wait, I get to pick it up Monday. I will measure the barrel as well as post some better pictures of it once I get it home. Hope to make it to the gun range which in a week to try out not only the lovely S&W here, but the other new guns I've bought in the past couple months and haven't had a chance to try out yet.

7. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I just posted better pics of it under the Revolvers section.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Very nice little S&W! I picked up an older version in .32 long last year- 3 inch bbl, I frame (from 1903). They are surprisingly accurate with wadcutter loads.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

10. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Thanks JW357 for posting the link to the other post, didn't even think of that. I hope to get me some different finger grooved grips for it before long. Something that I think will make the grip a little more comfortable.