Smith & Wesson M&P safety

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by coacho, Oct 11, 2009.

1. coacho

coacho New Member

The local dealer has a 45 full size and a 45 compact. Both with out safetys can you add an safety to and M&P I have heard about people meving them. Just go my 9 compact and was looking at an 45 to carry when I hunt. The 9 is small and I can carry it conceal and is easy to carry in glove box. Any input on saftety or on the 45. Thanks

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The M&P series utilizes internal and automatic safeties. There is no external manual safety option. It actually has more "safeties" than a S&W revolver.

Are you hunting in bear country? If so, neither 9 nor 45 are sufficient for self defense. 10mm or .41 Magnum are considered minimal bear defense sidearms.

3. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Lookingon the Smith and Wesson site they offer most of the M&P series pistols with or without thumb saftey. If you are interested in one with I would ask your dealer to order you in the one you want and not try to have it installed. Prob gona be more reliable and not take away from the value in the long run.
    Category - Military and Police

4. coacho

coacho New Member

Thanks and yes to the bear country. Not a lot of them but just enough to make you want to carry one during bow season. I was thing the 45 would be ok for that. I know if I was hunt bear 41 or a 44 would do it. Thanks

5. WDB

WDB New Member

I've carried the full size M&P 45 consealed with out external safety with one in the tube for almost three years and never had an issue. The built in safety and the trigger safety is more than enough to keep you safe.

6. coacho

coacho New Member

safety

What do you mean by built in safety and trigger safety and are you talking about full size or compact?

(I've carried the full size M&P 45 consealed with out external safety with one in the tube for almost three years and never had an issue. The built in safety and the trigger safety is more than enough to keep you safe)

7. WDB

WDB New Member

The pistol is built to withstand a drop (I believe 10' on to a hard surface) with out going off no matter how it lands on the ground, that is the built in safety. The trigger is hinged requiring the lower portion to have pressure applied or the trigger will not pull back. If you have a S&W M&P already in 9mm you can check this by trying to pull the trigger using the top half of the trigger. Both full size and compact have these features.

8. Gutpile

Gutpile New Member

M&P safety

The added on thumb safety is just as useless as the mag safety(which i disconnected). A safety is a feature that should not be relied on...and pistols are absolutely useless as bear repellant. Believe me, i've shot enough bears to sink a battle ship.
    The M&P design is a good one(except for the plastic palm swell tool which got destroyed in a minute)
    close enough to the Glock but with others so that S&W don't get sued again..like they did with the sigma.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

WTF:confused:
    M&P doesn't have a mag safety switch:confused:
    How did the palm swell tool get distroyed in minutes?
    How did that Glock suit end up concerning Sigma?
    I'd respond more but I don't speak Glock:rolleyes:
    How many bear/beers does it take to sink a battle ship?

10. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

I can't tell you much, but I can tell you my M&P 40c has a mag safety, and the tool got all chewed up one of the first time I removed it.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

Sean, are you Gutpile with a new screen name? Still haven't found info on a mag safety on a M&P and the palm tool is stainless steel with a polly base so I would like to hear how it got chewed up the first time you removed it.

12. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

I'm just Sean. I'll snap a photo of the mag safety and the manual, because I believe it's mentioned in there as well.

Edit: it's the poly "tooth" which twists into place which got distorted. I just don't remove it anymore. It's not ruined but if I used it often I can see how it wouldn't last.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Ok guys, the S&W M&P .40 now comes equipped with internal, external and automatic safeties. You can now get it with or without an external thumb safety. With the internal (magazine safety) it will not allow the gun to fire if there is a round in the chamber and the magazine is removed. They now have models without the internal magazine safety that DO fire with the magazine removed.

As stated, they do now make the M&P .40 that lacks an internal magazine disconnect safety and have an external thumb safety.

Is this what you guys are talking about? :confused:

Jack

14. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I am not a big fan of the magazine disconnect, not for any particular reason, I just don't like it. I have M&P's with it and without it, and I wouldn't turn around for the difference. The original idea of the magazine disconnect was that in a weapon retention struggle, if an officer thought he was going to lose his weapon, he should lastly eject the magazine so that if the perp did get control of the officer's gun it would not fire. The feature has saved officers lives and is a selling point that S&W uses when pitching the gun to departments.
    The external thumb safety is now available on all the M&P's models. I have never heard of one being added to a non-safety model, that's not saying it couldn't be done, but I don't think it would be practical from a cost standpoint, but that's just a guess. Some buyers like safeties. The more safeties the better is their motto.
    Does the gun need the thumb safety? No. Does the gun need a magazine disconnect? No. The question is, do you want those features? If so, S&W has a gun for you. Just pick the features and the model and then pull out the money. Your local dealer will take it from there.

15. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

Here's the mag safety. In the manual and the pin in the pistol. Sorry, camera phone shots. It wouldn't focus on the manual, but you can make it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: I wasn't even aware of the mag safety until I read the manual. I don't really care one way or the other, and it wouldn't have changed my purchase either way. However, I guess it's good to know, that for what ever reason if the mag is released and the pistol is assumed empty, it will not fire.....i dunno.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  16. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Nope, 45 ACP is not a good round for bear. 45 Colt maybe, 41 Mag or 44 Mag would be my choice for bear. More powder and heavyier bullet.

If your looking to protect yourself from bear, don't carry a too light round, go from something that will save your life. (even if it only a posibility that you would run into one.)

Shoot straight and be safe.
    Jim

17. WDB

WDB New Member

I didn't know that the S&W M&P had a mag safety option. Is it common or a spec like the thumb safety. I have a couple M&P's and while I wouldn't want the option I didn't know the mag safety was an option. I can't read the blur pictures but accept that it is an option.

18. Gutpile

Gutpile New Member

The mag safety is an option. I think the first batch of m&p sent to Canada all came with that feature. If you pistol says," capable of firing with no magazine" on the side, then,it doesn't have that feature. I'm not sure about the current models. Sorry for the two month delay in replying.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009