Smith & Wesson BodyGuard

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Arnie2toy, May 5, 2012.

1. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

I have a Smith & Wesson BodyGuard & the safety is very hard to put on & release. Can anyone tell me if this is normal & is there any way to make the safety easier to use? Also is there another type of safety button available that might be easier to use and not be so hard on your thumb?

2. GonzoGeezer

GonzoGeezer New Member

I do not use the safety when I carry. Primarily, that's because I'm left handed and using the safety is difficult. But also, the length of pull of the DA trigger acts as a sort of safety in and of itself. Several other guns I own have no manual safety levers at all, such as my PF-9. Consider also that revolvers have no safeties. I think S&W took the suspenders-and-belt approach with the BG380, just as they did with their new M&P Shield.

--Lee

--Lee. Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

3. oli700

oli700 New Member

Well thats great Lee....but do you know why his safety is overly stiff ?

4. GonzoGeezer

GonzoGeezer New Member

My point was that the OP didn't need to use the safety to safely carry the gun. As to stiffness, that's a subjective measure. Stiff compared to what? I think the safety is firm and positive, not stiff. Perhaps an armorer can dismantle the gun and grind the detent to ease the safety's operation, but why bother?

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Gonzo. I carry a Bodyguard 380 as well. I do use the safety, but that is because my other carry pistol is a Ruger SR9C and that I always carry with the safety on. I want to make sure I'm using the same muscle memory for both guns. But as a stand alone, the long DA trigger of the BG 380 does not require the additional safety.

If it is too stiff, take it to a gunsmith and have it worked on.

6. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

The safety is so stiff that I can't place it in the on position without turning the Bodyguard on it's side and pushing very hard with my thumb. It is extremely stiff, I have even placed a drop of oil in the safety and worked it off & on, but it still remain very stiff, you can't do it with one hand only. To me that is too stiff. I have a pretty good grip and my right hand is strong.

7. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I routinely carry a Bodyguard. I don't use the safety. You're right, it is very stiff. But the trigger pull is also stiff as well as being long. That gun ain't gonna go off by itself or by snagging it. My other carry guns, the safety is always on. Almost never with this one.

8. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

Factory fix

I called Smith & Wesson & they told me to send it to them & they will fix the too stiff safety issue . They will also pick up the UPS cost to & from them. Can't beat that for service I guess. We will see.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

... May cause vision problems or rapid heartbeat. If your safety is stiff for more than four hours call a gun doctor...

10. GonzoGeezer

GonzoGeezer New Member

Yes, that description indicates it is way too stiff. You hadn't mentioned that originally. Sending to S&W was a good move on your part, they do stand behind their products. Please report back when they return the gun. Good Luck.

11. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

BodyGuard off to S & W

Today I received a letter from Smith & Wesson & they did send me a 2 day prepaid FEDEX label & instructions. I send the weapon back to them, let's see what they do to correct the problem, so far so good.

12. surveyor619

surveyor619 New Member

I loved the look and feel of my bg but I had too many problems with no fire's and the magazine dropping when it did fire.. .anyone else have those probs?

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

No. I haven't.

14. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

The last time I had the BG at the range, I had a repeated issue with inadvertently releasing the magazine between shots. Never had that problem before. Assumed it was just something I was doing. I had been shooting a number of different handguns, and just assumed I wasn't paying enough attention to how I was positioning my hand when I switched to the bodyguard. I don't think it was a problem with the gun, because I've been carrying it for about 10 months and never experienced that before. In the back of my mind the next time I'm at the range, though.

15. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

Oh, I had two failures to fire within the first 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense the first day I shot it. No problems since, and no problems with any other ammo.

16. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

Mine was the same way and I fixed mine by getting rid of it. I don't have any more problems with it.:mad:

17. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

Ive been in a unique position in that a number of my friends have been buying .380's lately, and I've had a chance to shoot: my Bodyguard, kel-tec, diamondback (two different ones), and an LCP. Of all of those, I like the way my BG handles the best. It fits my hand and it is reliable. I don't mind the trigger, although few of my friends like it. Of the four I've shot recently, I like its handling more than the others, and it doesn't jump around in my hand as much. It was the least accurate, though, but none are target guns. if I could get the same accuracy as the others, is wholeheartedly recommend it IF you can get used to the long trigger. Longer than any of the others. But as I said, the trigger doesn't bother me in the least.

18. surveyor619

surveyor619 New Member

The trigger didn't bother me.. .that was something I got used to. Dropping magazines and and having to second strike rounds too frequently isn't something I felt comfortable with. I will say that without the extended pinky grip dropping mags wasn't as frequent. .but God forbid if I ever get into a dire need of my firearm, I don't want to have to concentrate on how my grip is as to NOT dropping the mag! My new Taurus TCP does just that. And it shoots as nice and seems more accurate.

19. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

Body Guard back

I sent the BodyGuard to Smith & Wesson on May 14th, and I received the BodyGuard back today 5/30/2012 from Smith & Wesson and it is perfect. The safety works very easily and the weapon performs flawlessly. I must say that the level of service from Smith & Wesson was excellent and I am a very pleased customer. This entire process did not cost me a single penny to boot. My hat is off to Smith & Wesson for this service.

20. angiefurst

angiefurst New Member

I truly dislike my S&W bodyguard 380 because not only does it have an extremely tight safety which I can only lock with a tool, it also has a very tight slide. I own a Ruger SP 101 revolver which I love. I purchased the 380 because of it's size and weight. The Ruger is simply too heavy to carry around in my purse. Now, I'm afraid to chamber a round because I can't operate the safety. Chambering a round is also difficult for me. I am a female and know this a a problem some of my female friends also have. So from what I've read, if I contact S&W they will loosen the safety for me at no charge? What about the slide. Are all semi-autos so hard to operate?