Smith & Wesson BLACK OPS II

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Mark F, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I picked up this little beauty yesterday, it's a Smith & Wesson BLACK OPS 2. This is a spring assisted knife and I had the option of a smooth or serrated blade. As you can see I got the smooth blade.

[​IMG]

Now for the critique...

I like the grip feel, and the knife is razor sharp right out of the box. The blade is Black Teflon coated 4034 steel. This is a very popular steel for folding knives and it is used by most all knife makers for various models. Edge holding is "fair".

The blade spring is very strong and this makes the knife open fast and aggressive, but it also makes it hard to over-come the closed position, to flick open.

Here is S&W's advertisement:
    "Liner lock assisted Opening Knife. Black Ops series features a black teflon coated 4034 stainless steel blade (smooth or partially serrated). Textured composite handle over a steel frame. Removable pocket clip (tip up), lanyard hole and safety."

DISLIKES:
    It can be difficult to open in a hurry, as you have to fumble to locate the thumb peg.
    The pocket clip is way too strong

Razor sharp out of the box
    Good grip feel
    Reasonably priced (38.00 to about 58.00) I paid 39.95 for mine.

It's a nice addition to my ever-growing collection...

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Nice looking knife. And by a good company.

Do you think the curve of the blade will make sharpening more difficult?

3. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I haven't had good experiences with S&W knives, I'd interested to know how it holds up after a few months of use. They might have made some improvements.

4. Mark F

Sharpening isn't a problem.

5. Mark F

This is my first S&W knife. I'll use it and abuse it for a few months to see how it compares to my other knives. One thing for sure, it's the sharpest knife I have pulled straight out of the box. It sure puts my Cold Steel BLACK TALON to shame, and Cold Steel "claims" the Black Talon is one of their sharpest knives!