Smith & Wesson 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Ray_Ray, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

My dad gave me his S&W 9mm today. Any likes or dislikes about this gun? I have shot it before but that was years ago when I was much younger.

ForumRunner_20120215_211821.jpg

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I like those steel frame autos they used to make. Hold onto it.

3. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

So its a good hand gun?

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Looks like a Third Gen auto. If you have an actual model, might be able to provide more info.

Generally speaking, the Third Gen autos never really had a huge following, but they were still good guns.

5. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

How would I be able to tell ifs its a third Gen!

6. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I like it because your Dad gave it to you.:rolleyes:

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Because the model number will have 4 digits. First Gen autos had 2 digit models, 2nd Gen had 3, etc.

What caliber is it?

8. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Olympus, its a 9mm

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've shot a few of those old SW steel service pistols.

They're really solid guns and I might add one at some point. You can get them at really fair prices, the only problem is a lot of them seemed to have been beat to hell along the way...lots of high mileage examples bouncing around out there, as they filled a bunch of LE contracts.

Yours looks pretty sharp. I'd imagine it'll serve you well. As with any expired pistol...if you've already deemed it a "keeper", you might want to add a couple extra mags ASAP.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Over all good guns.

The model number is on the left side of the frame, right over the trigger opening.

As mentioned, a lot of these guns were for law enforcement contracts. The LE guns were fired periodically and then cleaned; mostly just carried in holsters. The finish is worn, but the guns are in pretty good condition. If it's a commercially sold gun - your dad would know if he bought it new or not - it probably hasn't been fired a lot either.

In general, S&W pistols are pretty well made. The worst thing I can say about them is they aren't something else. (I tend to prefer single action pistols and larger calibers. Others disagree.) For a general purpose and personal defense gun, they are well above 'adequate'.

You will probably want a minimum of three magazines for that pistol, possibly five or more depending on your finances and priorities. Personally, I'd find another decent holster for it, the nylon 'bag' holsters give me a shudders and rash reaction. It is possible to dress it up with fancier grips, but the originals work very well. You can shoot about any modern 9x19 round in them without problem. Shooting +p ammunition will not blow up the gun, but will hasten the worn out date; as with any pistol.

That it came from your Dad is icing on the cake. Enjoy.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a 5904. Alloy frame double stack. Exact same dimensions and magazines as the stainless 5906. Good solid guns.

12. m72law

m72law New Member

my MOD 915 looks just like it:D

13. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Shot the 9 this weekend, man I'm rusty! But enjoyed every min of it!

14. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Damn, all my Dad gave me was a .25

Wanna trade?

Dads that is

15. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Ever heard the expression " don't look a gift horse in the mouth". The fact that it was given to you by your pops means everthing IMO. Not to say you shouldn't do your homework, learn everything you can about your weapon. And don't ever sell it, sentimental value trumps resell value.... Have fun, shoot your a$$ off,, (Not literally)

16. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I was going for the same thought here... 59 series. I have the 3913, which is pretty similar except that it is single stack. I really wanted a 5906 but the 3913 conceals much nicer.

17. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

I think its a 58 series? I will check.