Smith & Wesson 642 finish

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by wcollier75, Jul 21, 2010.

1. wcollier75

wcollier75 New Member

My wife wants to get a S&W 642 snubby and she really likes the one with the black finish because it's not as "flashy". My question is how durable is the finish. It will probably spend most of it's life in a purse so some scratches are expected, but will the black scratch off easily. My thought is that the stainless steel finish will be much more durable.

2. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

The frame on the 642's are an alloy and not stainless steel. I do agree that the matte black finish will show scratches easier than the matte silver.

Either way, your going for function and not appearence (I hope).

3. wcollier75

wcollier75 New Member

I've always been one to prefer function over appearance, but -and ladies please don't get me wrong- women often times put appearance pretty high up on the list. I just don't want to have to buy another one in a couple of years because "this one's all scratched up"::rolleyes: If she doesn't notice the scratches, it will probably stay in her purse longer.

4. druryj

druryj New Member

Have her pick the one she likes and stick it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster to "protect it" (and keep the trigger covered) in her purse. I have had both the 442 and the 642 and find them about equally durable. Currently have a 642 and it doesn't show the scratches an EDC gun gets quite as much as my 442 did, but I don't really care; it's a carry piece. I have a dressed up PPK/S replete with lots of bling for BBQ's and Weddings.

5. wcollier75

wcollier75 New Member

Thanks, good to know. I'll look into the pocket holster. My wife wants a purse with a built in gun pocket but Coach doesn't make any yet (tongue in cheek). I gotta tell you though, I get frustrated with the way S & W assigns model numbers to their guns. It is so confusing. For what ever reason, I thought the 442 was their super light model 340 (I think?) scandium j-frame. There nice guns, but the 3 oz weight difference just isn't worth the price difference. Maybe I'm just cheap. Anyway, thanks for the reply