*** Smith & Wesson 629 Classic ***

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mark F, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I finally got around to shooting my new 44 Mag. and it was awesome! My 629 has the 6.5" barrel and the "power Port" to minimize muzzle flip. I started out with a box of 44 Specials to get the feel of the gun, then switched to 44 Target Magnums. Because I was at an indoor range, I was limited to 15 yards. The felt recoil on the 44 Specials was almost non-existant. I kept about a 2" pattern slightly low of a 4" bullseye. When I switched to 44 Magnums which were 240 grain semi-wadcutters the group tightened to about 1" and it was dead on POA. The felt recoil was fairly stiff but managable. I shot a total of 100 rounds today and enjoyed every second!

I am very pleased with this revolver and it's an excellent addition to my wheelgun collection...

[​IMG]

2. h2oking

h2oking New Member

What cool looking 44 mag. I have not shot one with the built in compensator but it has to reduce recoil. I have a 5" 629 and the recoil is a bit stiff but not nearly as bad as a friends 4" model 29.

Ron

3. Mark F

I was surprized to see how well the compensator worked. The report is louder with the compensator but it doesn't bother me, but it does tend to chase off other shooters on either side. The guys next to me only had ear plugs and they got pounded by the shock wave from the magnum rounds. Ho well, they should have been better prepaired...

The long underlug on my Classic helps with recoil to. My shooting buddy has the same 629 you have and his is rather stiff on recoil also. But what hell, 44 Magnums are supposed to kick! That's part of the FUN!

4. J_B

J_B New Member

Mark F

That is one of the ones I would like to shoot, as I currently own a Pre-92 629 6" without the full underlug. I want to get another for just Handgun Hunting with and the other one is for carry. :rolleyes:

A man simply can not have to many S&W 629's

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't be a baby....the .44 mag does not kick. A gentle nudge perhaps. The 500 S&W kicks.

6. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I have always preferred heavy barrels, with the weight out toward the muzzle. I have two Model 29s fitted with full lug barrels, a 6" and a 5". The 6" started out as an 8 3/8" but while it shot like a rifle, it was just too long to be practical and I had my gunsmith, Bob Mason, cut it back to a more manageable 6".

Here's a few of my .44s, the full lug guns at left:

[​IMG]

The 6" gun has had over 15,000 rounds fired through it, the 5" just over 10,000 rounds.

Bob Wright

7. Mark F

Hey Bob,

Those 29's aren't even broken it yet!!! LOL

OK, it's time to do the math here! Don't let your wife see this!

15,000/50=300 boxes of ammo at $32.00 per box=$9,600.00

10,000/50=200 " " " " $32.00 per box=$6,400.00

We are talking $16,000.00 worth of ammo by "today's" standards...

But I know you reload... I do to.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  8. Mark F

Hey, hey, hey, Robocop10mm.... I said stiff recoil. That's equal to a "nice" gentle nudge, don't you know! LOL

9. Mark F

Here is my FAVORITE 629...

[​IMG]

I have about 1000 rounds through this one right now.

10. Mark F

Just gotta love those S&W 29's.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

6" M-29
    4" M-629
    .44's are pu$$ycats

6" M-57
    4" M-657
    4" M-58
    .41's are flat shooting pu$$ycats

12. J_B

J_B New Member

Mark F you got a nice collection, I love that 629 hunter.

Robocop10mm - maybe someday I will own an X frame in the .500 Magnum

Here is my 629
    [​IMG]

13. Mark F

Very nice JB!

Take care of it and it'll last a life-time. I can't think of a single reason why I would want a 500 Magnum. They are too big, too heavy, too expensive to shoot and I don't own one by choice, not by economics. I don't even want a .460 XVR. The X frame is just big to be of any use to me. My 629 Hunter will take out any game Texas has to offer.

14. h2oking

h2oking New Member

In my opinion the Smith and Wesson 500 is not a hand gun but rather a true hand cannon. Oddly enough it utilizes the K frame grip and not the larger N frame like a model 29. When I first got my gun the only ammo available was some stuff made by Corbon loaded with 400 grain bullets and it went about 1700 fps over my chrono which is a bit much, meaning it is about as fun to shoot as a 577 Nitro I used to have which was no fun at all. Since then brass has became available I load a 350 grain hollow point at about 1380 and the 400 grainer at about 1350, both are all you want in recoil. The thing is extremely accurate for the first few shots but once my hand starts to sting I can't hit a house with it. I also use a PAST shooting glove.

Ron

15. Mark F

Smith & Wesson EYE CANDY:

[​IMG]

A side by side comparison... MAGNUMS & AMMO

16. h2oking

h2oking New Member

I am curious of the picture of the 500. It appears not to have a muzzle brake, an extra screw on the sideplate and the cylinder looks to be a different color. Please explain if you know, meaning are these your guns or pictures that perhaps you down loaded. I have a model 625 with a 5" barrel in 45 Colt (not 45acp) just like the 629 you have pictured. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Ron

17. Mark F

Hi Ron,

Sorry, that's not my 500/44 photo. But for the record, X frames do have an optional muzzle brake available. Now, my 629 Classic does have what Smith & wesson calls their "power Port". And it seems to work OK. Although I wouldn't miss it if it weren't there.

here is the 500 w/removable compensator...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  18. J_B

J_B New Member

Mark F

My comment about the S&W X frame is one of those .... maybe comments. I have still yet to find or discover a reason, why I need one here in Montana. The .44 Magnum covers all our needs for hunting with a handgun. The weight of the .500 Magnum is much heavier than any 629 offered.

But I do have one .500 Magnum that I like, and I'm sure you have already seen the BarBQue that has been shown around the net. :rolleyes: That truly is a Smith & Wesson Man's grill.

I truly really like the .44 Magnum and don't find I need any other caliber.

19. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

All of these pictures makes me want to take out a loan so I can buy one for myself...lol.

Nice revolvers.

20. Mark F

J B,

For what it's worth, I don't own a S&W 500. I do own a nice collection of 44 Magnums though. I never could figure out what a 500 would be good for, here in Texas. We have wild pigs that weigh about 300 to 400 pounds and my 44 Magnum drops them in their tracks at 100 yards. I just don't need more gun than that, and if I did... I'd just fire another shot.