Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21,822 Posts
Alrighty fellas. The weather was not going to warm up anytime soon, so I decided to freeze my *** off to finally shoot this thing.
You have some big stones dude! Anything below 72F is considered a hard freeze down here. Most all ranges here are indoors and we complain they don't have the AC turned down far enough!

I'll bet you're a right strong side. Do you use a two hand grip?

Well at least you can shoot this coming summer, both days!

cane

· Registered
21,822 Posts
I do shoot 2 hands. Right hand on the grip, and left hand underneath my right hand.
There's your problem, the "Tea Cup" grip as its called provides zero support during recoil.

With additional need to control this energy you are anticipating the recoil and not concentrating on the sight picture.

Get your weak side hand up and grab the strong side hand interlocking the fingers like you would with a Hogue wrap around stock with finger swells.

Does that make sense? Kinda like a golf grip w/o the pinkie lock. I think, I don't golf anymore. I quit drinking and found out how boring that game really was! :p

Now here's the trick, lighten up the strong side hand and transform the pressure over to the weak side hand, try the ratio of ~60/40. Using the weak side hand, squeeze the strong side fingers into the stock. The relaxed trigger finger, when pulled, will not drag the rest of the fingers along for the ride. This adds a great deal more muzzle control.
Try it, it work’s.

· Registered
21,822 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the Smith 1911 PD. Can I ask for some opinions? I looked at a Smith 1911 pd 4 1/4 bbl at the local gunshop with a price tag of $995.00 new and still really liked it. I've owned 1911s before, always full size Colts and loved them but always had a hankering for the Combat Commander. Satin nickle Commanders are up around $800-900 bucks on Guns America and other auction sites. I may be able to break loose some funds for the Commander but now the Smith pd has me confused. I understand that the Smith has bells and whistles that the Colt doesn't but....help! What would you guys do? This will be for carry and for play.
WELCOME Eldensboy, glad to have you aboard.

First, I'm an extremely biased firearms mark shooter. Albeit there are many better handguns available to us today, IMHO the Colt mark is the best bang for the buck. (Pun intended)

I have two Colts;
A 5" Government O1070XSE and
A 3" Defender O7000D

The XSE is my shooter and the Defender is my carry.

The Colt I recommend for those that do not want to buy guns for specific applications is the compromise (not a bad thing) of going with the Colt O4860XSE Lightweight Commander 4 1/4".

Just what bells and whistles does the Smith posses not found (or needed) on the Colt?

The glaring difference I see is the Smith's external extractor rendering this 1911 knock-off not even a close clone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.