Smith enterprise sound suppressor

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MrWray, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I just emailed smith enterprise requesting the price of the windtalker M4DC 5.56 sound suppressor.. I also see tht they have a 5.56 "sound moderator".. Wat is the difference between the two and which one is better?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

moderator is what the europeans call suppressors. just a difference in terminology. in europe a suppressors is required in a lot of countries due to hearing safety issues. unlike our govt this is one area the euros are way ahead of us on.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thts good info, but they look different too,the one their calling the moderator is shorter and is split in two sections.. Which one do u think is better?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

they might then be using the term as a model description to differentiate it from their other products.

personally never heard of em. but there are a lot of suppressor companies ive never heard of. might try a post in the NFA/class3 section you might get a better response.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ok thanks,, smith enterprise is the company tht makes the vortex flash hider

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Smith Enterprise, Inc. is the company that makes the Vortex Flash Eliminator. It's one of the more effective flash hiders out there.

They make suppressors that mate to the Vortex.

Their Wind Talker 5.56mm Sound Moderator model is built for the Canadian Special Forces.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I just received an email from smith enterprise, the sound suppressor is $950.00 and claims to have a 30db drop and the sound moderator has a 17db drop..

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Remember that in addition to the $950 cost of the can there is a $200 tax stamp. :eek:

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Does the tax stamp only apply to the suppressor?