Smith and wesson m&p 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JPenn856, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

Good/bad? Reliable or gunk? Good starter Ar?

I know I've asked before what people like best in the at platform, but S&W has made a cheap gun that looks solid.

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I seen lot of people saying here.. that one is one good hell starter AR15. For a $600 price range.. why not?

3. ClickClickBang

ClickClickBang New Member

I agree...but you can get it a bit cheaper too. I have one coming on Monday with lots of upgrades for $540

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

$540 brand new? What kind of upgrades?

I saw your other thread. It's .22 cal.
    If i'm not mistaken.. i believe the OP meant the 5.56 cal. That's why i mentioned $600 price range.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

Yeah. I want the "real thing". I have my 10/22. I don't want another quiet gun.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I guess you're talking about the M&P-15 Sport at that price range. Lots of good reports and few bad, it seems to be one of the best entry level ARs.

7. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I can't find a bad thing about them. And it feels like a solid gun. I hate the grip on it though. Would be my first mod.

8. ClickClickBang

Yeah...my next one will probably be the NATO...I had to get something for my son and I both to use for practice. Its good though that I can use my scope, grip light, bipod on my next one.

I love the interchangeable parts

9. ClickClickBang

Yeah its quiet enough to shoot targets in my back yard and not cause a disturbance to my neighbors...otherwise I'd have to go to the range...but I love the M&P AR 15-22...its lots of fun

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The only bad thing is... It doesn't have forward assist and ejection door. To most people, they are barely needed. U can change the grip to the Magpul MOE.. a very inexpensive replacement. Less than $30 brand new though.
    And i have one.. never used.. i'd sell it to you ;).

11. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I didn't even take notice to those things. The grip felt so cheap in my hand that's all I noticed. That along with the $750 price tag.

12. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

Just goes to show why I look at a gun a couple times before putting the money out. Haha

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

That's only if you get the sport model. My M&P 15 has the fwd assist and the ejection port cover. I can't see me ever having one without it.

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes.. u rite. I forgot to mention the sport model. I kept thinking the $600 price range with the one without FA and Ejection door ;)

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Penn, which model is it? At $750 it shouldn't be a Sport!

16. ClickClickBang

Oh wow...must have tons of upgrades on it...that's quite a bit

17. synical

synical New Member

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 OR model and I love it. I just took it to the range this weekend and ran some Tula ammo in it and it ate it up and spit it out with no problems. the one I have has crome lined goodness on it. I have never had a problem with mine. I have found that most of smith and wesson's guns chew up anything you give them with no problem. my s&w pistols are the same! this is a pic of mine!

Attached Files:

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

What kind of grip is that?

19. synical

synical New Member

its caa pistol grip with a mako foregrip/bi pod

20. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

again......

i know i have posted this before, but i have a S&W M&P sport.....and i have nothing but good things to say about it thus far. in fact, i have traditionally been a "anti-tacticool" guy for various reasons.

one, i had traditionally thought AR's grossly overpriced for the most part. two, i just like tradtional (wood stock) set ups better overall.

in the last few years however, AR's have started to become priced where i felt they should have been all along (just mo guys). first dpms caught my eye with their AR's around $600. but when i saw that an AR by a respectable company like S&W was selling for $600-700(average $650), i became very interested. when i read all the great reviews, i took the plunge and bought the sport.

the dust cover and forward assist have been NO issue to me. i just use it as a sporting rifle. the accuracy is shaping up to be a very nice shooter, maybe MOA....groups at 50 are very encouraging. i need to get a scope to test out to 100. bout 400 rounds through mine....not one failure so far.

my only gripe with AR's in general so far is....they are a PITA to clean!!! hopefully, with more time, i will learn to be quick and effective at AR care.

here's my sport....like i said....i think it is a great bang for buck, to this point i am very satisfied with it. and this is coming from a guy who has tradtionally rejected the black rifle.

Attached Files: