Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good/bad? Reliable or gunk? Good starter Ar?

I know I've asked before what people like best in the at platform, but S&W has made a cheap gun that looks solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
I seen lot of people saying here.. that one is one good hell starter AR15. For a $600 price range.. why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
okdonk said:
I seen lot of people saying here.. that one is one good hell starter AR15. For a $600 price range.. why not?
I agree...but you can get it a bit cheaper too. I have one coming on Monday with lots of upgrades for $540
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
ClickClickBang said:
I agree...but you can get it a bit cheaper too. I have one coming on Monday with lots of upgrades for $540
$540 brand new? What kind of upgrades?

I saw your other thread. It's .22 cal.
If i'm not mistaken.. i believe the OP meant the 5.56 cal. That's why i mentioned $600 price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
I guess you're talking about the M&P-15 Sport at that price range. Lots of good reports and few bad, it seems to be one of the best entry level ARs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find a bad thing about them. And it feels like a solid gun. I hate the grip on it though. Would be my first mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
JPenn856 said:
Yeah. I want the "real thing". I have my 10/22. I don't want another quiet gun.
Yeah...my next one will probably be the NATO...I had to get something for my son and I both to use for practice. Its good though that I can use my scope, grip light, bipod on my next one.

I love the interchangeable parts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
JPenn856 said:
Yeah. I want the "real thing". I have my 10/22. I don't want another quiet gun.
Yeah its quiet enough to shoot targets in my back yard and not cause a disturbance to my neighbors...otherwise I'd have to go to the range...but I love the M&P AR 15-22...its lots of fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
JPenn856 said:
I can't find a bad thing about them. And it feels like a solid gun. I hate the grip on it though. Would be my first mod.
The only bad thing is... It doesn't have forward assist and ejection door. To most people, they are barely needed. U can change the grip to the Magpul MOE.. a very inexpensive replacement. Less than $30 brand new though.
And i have one.. never used.. i'd sell it to you ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okdonk said:
The only bad thing is... It doesn't have forward assist and ejection door. To most people, they are barely needed. U can change the grip to the Magpul MOE.. a very inexpensive replacement. Less than $30 brand new though.
And i have one.. never used.. i'd sell it to you ;).
I didn't even take notice to those things. The grip felt so cheap in my hand that's all I noticed. That along with the $750 price tag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
okdonk said:
The only bad thing is... It doesn't have forward assist and ejection door. To most people, they are barely needed. U can change the grip to the Magpul MOE.. a very inexpensive replacement. Less than $30 brand new though.
And i have one.. never used.. i'd sell it to you ;).
That's only if you get the sport model. My M&P 15 has the fwd assist and the ejection port cover. I can't see me ever having one without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
Yes.. u rite. I forgot to mention the sport model. I kept thinking the $600 price range with the one without FA and Ejection door ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Penn, which model is it? At $750 it shouldn't be a Sport!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 OR model and I love it. I just took it to the range this weekend and ran some Tula ammo in it and it ate it up and spit it out with no problems. the one I have has crome lined goodness on it. I have never had a problem with mine. I have found that most of smith and wesson's guns chew up anything you give them with no problem. my s&w pistols are the same! this is a pic of mine!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
synical said:
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 OR model and I love it. I just took it to the range this weekend and ran some Tula ammo in it and it ate it up and spit it out with no problems. the one I have has crome lined goodness on it. I have never had a problem with mine. I have found that most of smith and wesson's guns chew up anything you give them with no problem. my s&w pistols are the same! this is a pic of mine!
What kind of grip is that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,263 Posts
again......

i know i have posted this before, but i have a S&W M&P sport.....and i have nothing but good things to say about it thus far. in fact, i have traditionally been a "anti-tacticool" guy for various reasons.

one, i had traditionally thought AR's grossly overpriced for the most part. two, i just like tradtional (wood stock) set ups better overall.

in the last few years however, AR's have started to become priced where i felt they should have been all along (just mo guys). first dpms caught my eye with their AR's around $600. but when i saw that an AR by a respectable company like S&W was selling for $600-700(average $650), i became very interested. when i read all the great reviews, i took the plunge and bought the sport.

the dust cover and forward assist have been NO issue to me. i just use it as a sporting rifle. the accuracy is shaping up to be a very nice shooter, maybe MOA....groups at 50 are very encouraging. i need to get a scope to test out to 100. bout 400 rounds through mine....not one failure so far.

my only gripe with AR's in general so far is....they are a PITA to clean!!! hopefully, with more time, i will learn to be quick and effective at AR care.

here's my sport....like i said....i think it is a great bang for buck, to this point i am very satisfied with it. and this is coming from a guy who has tradtionally rejected the black rifle.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top