Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 opinions?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SquirrelMurder, Oct 6, 2012.

1. SquirrelMurder

SquirrelMurder New Member

Hey all! I just finished my Ruger 10/22 sport build, pretty sweet. Anyhow I'm wanting to get a good AR style 22 and the M&P was one that I liked the look of. Later I got to feel around one and get a closer look at it. I personally liked it and am thinking about starting a tactical build with it. Any problems? Better recommends?

2. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Jerry Miculek loves the M&P 15-22.

Enough said?

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Get it n u wont regret it. Trust me..

4. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I had one and sold it the minute after I saw nutnfancy's video on youtube showing grouping drops from hot weather actually caused a little bit of barrel sag . and that was just from hot open air weather.

I pondered what happenes if I go eat before or after shooting on a hot day when temp in car hits 120 -130???? do i pick the rifle up and the barrel drops 90 degrees??? I dunno just me , soon as I saw that grouping drop. I knew this wasnt the rifle for me . Although I will say I never experienced it myself. And while I owned it it was a great rifle.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, it was a "great rifle", but you got rid of it and took a loss just because someone on You Tube had a problem with his? How much did his drop? (I am familiar W/Nutnfancy, BTW)

6. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

Anyone know why they stopped making the pistol version of the 15-22?

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

It was a great rifle .. I'm sure on days any less than as hot as it was or without the weight of the Bi pod on the fore end it might not have had that issue. But the fact it had any barrel sag left me with serious concerns. See my whole collection is geared towards wrol / shtf / teotwaki and I just didn't feel that a rifle that had that issue fit that theme.

And the groupings didnt drop much maybe an inch? I dunno and to be fair that 15-22 did have a bi pod on it as I said that probably contributed to the problem .

lemme see if I can find the video ...

" Be advised that "frame flexing" was noted in accuracy testing off bipod due to the polymer receivers/rail composition and resulted in wider shot variations "

heres the video ... Skip to 23:30 and this frame flex happened @ 78-80 degree conditions . where I live in florida we see upper 80's to mid 90's most of the year . In exposed vehicle temps can reach 120-130 . So for me atleast this was a real concern

I am now much happier with the ruger 10 / 22 takedown . That being said . th 15-22 was a great rifle and other than this issue and feed problems with certain ammo nutnfancy had nothing but good things to say about the rifle and uhhhh I took no loss :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPgTlKYikM[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have the M&P 15-22 since changing scopes & bipods, having an issue with mine. I am going to the gun show this weekend here in Albuquerque, hopefully I can pick up a bipod. Additional range time will be required. :D

I try using the sandbag, no joy on getting a good grouping.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife loves hers. The only thing it has jammed on was the CCI Velocitors. Not enough spring. You could really feel the difference in recoil.

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

We bought the last one at Cabelas last year. It was in the display case. My wife loves it and shoots very well with just iron sights.

11. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

The Smith& Wesson page I read saidit was because it was too easy to swap out the barrel and make it a rifle. I'm just glad that I own the pistol version. It's very fun to shoot.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

If weather weather affects point of impact, what is going to happen when you run a couple 30 shot clips through it? Barrel temperature should be a problem when shooting fleas at 200 yards. Not not your normal 22 plinking range.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  13. Bigcountry02

I am in New Mexico and it can get hot and very dry here. Summer time, I run about 1 brick and a half of Blazer CCI 40 gr ammo, she is always on target at 50 and 100 yards. My only issue is the bipod,

I had a perfect one and it broke and since then replacements not up to par. I have tried my Harris, Blackhawk, UTG versions, and sandbags she is not a happy plicker! :(

14. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

Thank you I've been looking for an answer for over a week now. Lucky you have one!

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

No issues with mine. I heartedly recommend it.

16. dan01

dan01 New Member

I have the 15 22 MOE with a scope, vertical grip, and bi pod........It shoots fine in hot weather and is as accurate as my other 22s at 0 to 100 yards in the same weather conditions.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
  17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Well guys don't shoot the messenger lol . I'm just repeating what I saw in that video. I'm glad yours dont have that problem. Maybe he was just leaning on the rifle a little too hard.

18. Isis0927

Isis0927 New Member

Dan01, how's the accuracy of your MP5 clone compare to the 1522? Which is more reliable? Any info would be great. Thanks.

19. Bigcountry02

Well! I got the bipod issue solved, now for some range time; maybe next Sunday.

20. dan01

dan01 New Member

Isis...The Walther HK MP5 SD is very accurate with the iron sights, red dot, or reflex scope...........I can get good performance out to 100 yards, but it is basically used as a plinker due to the way it is made......With the collapsable stock and large hand guard, this firearm is a copy of a close quarter weapon.......I love shooting it from the hip.

The 15 22 is a reasonably reliable firearm and should be cleaned every 500 to a 1000 rounds....I clean all my 22s frequently and lightly lube the moving parts....22 cal ammo is dirty shooting and will gunk up a gun......Most problems had with the 22s is because of poor cleaning.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012