Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by molonlabexx, Mar 23, 2014.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

This gun could have killed my father. We bought this gun about 8 months ago new from a gun shop. It worked fine and then after a few trips to the range, the takedown lever siezed, making the gun unable to field strip it. The lasers also went out after around 50 rounds. The firearm was the concealed weapon my father carried all the time. So today we went to the range and the first shot, the gun broke. The cap on the laser seperated and caused the slide to lock up. The gun was totally unusable. Had my father had to of used this against a bad guy, he most likely would have been killed/robbed/you get the idea. So we sent it back so smith and wesson for $30 to fix it. What a piece of crap... The shops gunsmith was able to get the lever to work and the gun was stripped. Never again...

THIS IS WHY YOU GO TO THE RANGE OFTEN AND TEST YOJR GUNS.

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear this! Did you take a photo of the Gun in a Damaged State? I'm sure if you posted that photo on some Boards, as well as here, You';d get a MUCH quicker Response from S&W. Guns Break all the time, but S&W has been called out on QC issues just Like Other Makers....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

They have good CS, but for real... my father relied on that gun if he needed to defend him or his. First shot went off, the next round jammed on the ramp because the plastic broke into the recoil slring cut out

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

I don't trust a gun for self defense until I have shot several hundred rounds of various ammo through it. I know some people who will shoot one or two mags and deem the gun GTG.

Sorry about you Dad's gun. S&W was very helpful when I had trouble with a gun, think they paid shipping both ways. That gun was just having feeding issues, was not a broken gun like your Dad's. Odd.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I usually put 250 rounds through any gun before I trust it to do anything beside kill zombie cans.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

When I was looking at pocket .380s I tried one of the Bodyguards, and read several reviews. I got turned off from the reviews, and the way the laser was set up.

I ended up going with an LCP from Ruger instead. Seemed like a simpler system. A laser was an add on. Some of the LCPs had issues with peening of the barrel hood, that could cause the gun to begin hanging up in cycling. I chose to just take a polishing stone and barely radius the very edge if the barrel hood to prevent the peening from becoming an issue. It has been a good little pistol, even though it is not the most enjoyable to shoot. I've run a lot of FMJs through it at the range as well as MagTech HP, Gold Dots, Critical Defense, and PDX1.

These poker guns were meant to be carried a lot and shot very little, but I have the same philosophy, that reliability has to be proven over time and trial.

In retrospect, after shooting my friends SIG .380, I should have saved up and bought one of them. The best feeling pocket .380 with the most useable sights. Not cheap by any means, but dang, it's a sweet shooter and made to be shot more than most pocket guns.

Sorry about the problems with your Fathers pistol. I'm sure S&W will make it right.

7. DrFootball

Yeah, have to agree on that. I think I put 200 through the LC9 the first trip to the Range after I bought it.....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sorry about the gun. On the bright side, no one was hurt and you found the problem before it COULD hurt anyone.

Keep us posted on how Smith fixes it. And how long they take to do so and whatnot. Good luck.

9. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Awesome post. the guy behind the counter today pulled both the lcp and the sig to show us. I told my dad 8 months ago to buy the ruger...

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

People need to take the time to break-in a new firearm before relying on it.

11. RayB

RayB New Member

I have a couple of hundred rounds through mine and it seems fine. The only trouble I have had was that it would not feed steel case ammo at all. Would not go into battery. I found that out on the range where I should find things like that out. Changed to better ammo and have not had an issue since. I would never suggest a small .380 like this or the Rugar to a novice as they are a lot to handle but it does give me the groups I would need to get the job done. Perhaps I will find bad things to say about it later but so far I have no issues

12. blueknight73

blueknight73 New Member

i bought one at buds gun shop in lexington, was looking at it, and before i got out the door the laser stopped working. needless to say, i didnt keep it

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

My S&W Bodyguard has been with me for a year, and I carry it a lot and shoot it a little, a couple of mags a month. I've never had a problem with it, but I'm careful to clean and lube it after every session. I use Break Free CLP, which seems to do OK for it. It is a little tricky getting the "takedown latch" reinserted when reassembling it, but not a major problem. I haven't used the laser much, and it still works OK. My thought on the lasers is that maybe the gun has sat in the dealer's shop for a while and the battery has run down. Or, maybe customers and/or employees pick up the gun and play with the laser and use up the battery before it is sold.
    My BG 380 is in my pocket nearly all the time, even when I carry a bigger piece.

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Come on, the world isn't perfect.....I know a lot of people with the bodyguard, good pistol.

Rule # 1 check your ****. stuff happens, don't wait until you decide to shoot it 6 months later or when ever.

15. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

A gun that is meant for self defense and is relied upon for that purpose should not fail after 1 shot after you have put only 250 rounds through it. I have seen good samples of the gun and bad ones of course. Similar to the keltec. A firearm should not fall apart like the .380 did, poor craftsmanship and made in china plastic.

Have some pride on your work and be proud to put your mark there.

As you said, check your stuff always!

16. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Yes my father's laser stopped working within 1 month... 1 MONTH

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

To further explain my position on this, I carry the Bodyguard for one reason: It can go undetected in my front pants pocket. If I could hide a .44 mag Desert Eagle in my pocket, that is what I'd be putting there.
    On the subject of the guns coming apart when fired, it may sometimes be due to the tricky reassembly procedure. If the takedown latch is not inserted EXACTLY right, it may appear that it is OK, but it won't be holding the barrel and frame together. Then when the slide retracts, the barrel, being loose, may come flying out of the frame, and the slide may come flying off the rails.

18. jackdaw

jackdaw New Member

I am interested in purchasing a S&w big brother .380 but I hate the safety, I am a lefty and it is awkward to operate and if you had to fire in a pressure situation it would suck.
    Can you get the safety switched from left to right side?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  19. DrFootball

You mean you can't fit a Desert Eagle in your shorts???

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. AR10

AR10 New Member

You are trusting a couple things here, in your choice of a firearm for personal protection.

A lightweight, tiny tiny tiny gun,
    no real capacity, and
    a .380 to create deadly force to stop a threat.

Get Dad a Glock 19, or a 6906

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545276

and make sure he shoots a box of fifty every week, practicing at the range.

Give him a Basic Pistol, Personal Protection In The Home, and Personal Protection Outside The Home classes.

Go with him at the classes, take them with him.