smith and wesson 5906

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by naf84, Jun 24, 2012.

1. naf84

naf84 New Member

A friend of mine purchased a used s&w 5906 last week. Well the other day my buddy and I went to the range to try out each others guns. Well he fired of the first shot and it failed to eject, thought maybe it was just a bad round, cleared and reloaded the chamber.... again. So we unloaded the weapon and disassembled it and discovered the extractor was broken.

Anyone have to do this before? What did you do? Send it back?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Is it the extractor or the ejector. At any rate replacement is an easy task. You just need the parts. It would also be an easy task for your local gunsmith. Was it a private party sale or did it come from a dealer ? If from a dealer, they may make it right, if from private party, not so promising.

Jim..........

3. naf84

naf84 New Member

It was from a private party through a dealers shop. We went back to the shop and basically they told us "oh well it's used". I'm just surprised they would sell a gun they didn't at least visually check. And now they want $90 an hour just to start looking at it.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i say save the mulah. go find the parts. maybe even give Smith n Wesson a call. who knows it cant hurt. they should be able to at the very least tell you what parts you need. even if they wont send em to you. maybe they will.

5. naf84

naf84 New Member

Ya he called s&w, they wouldn't sell him the part. He would have to send it back to them. Seems like his only option.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

He should consider sending it back and allowing S&W to do a complete checkup.
    Sure it may cost a couple of bucks, but then, how much does "peace of mind" cost?

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ejector? Extractor? The extractor is mounted in the slide and is pretty hard to break. The ejector is mounted in the left rear of the frame and pretty easy to break if you do not pay attention during reassembly.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Where are you located? If you are any where near Central Texas, I have parts.

9. naf84

naf84 New Member

Na. Florida. =\

10. naf84

naf84 New Member

And ya sorry I posted the org post real quick. The extractor pulls the casing out of the chamber just fine. The ejector is what's broken.

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Its a good gun. Send it to SW and let them fix it right. The cost will be minimal, and they will go through it. You'd be silly not to.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What part of FL? If in the panhandle, maybe we can get the part from Robo and get you going.

(But I also like the idea of letting S&W check it out.)

13. naf84

naf84 New Member

I think my buddy found some parts online for it. Theyre not steal like he wanted, they're blued, but it still works.

And S&W was definitely not minimal. He called them & they quoted him at $90/hour apparently