Smith and Wesson #36

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by planenut, Jan 23, 2010.

1. planenut

planenut New Member

I recently received a nickel Smith and Wesson model 36 from a family member. It is approximately 30 years old. I'm not sure how much it has been fired. It does not appear in "new" condition and he didn't shoot much so I'm thinking he purchased it used.

Would you advise against shooting +P ammo in it or should it be ok?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Your M-36 is pre 1982 as it is pinned and recessed. I do not believe these were "rated" for +P ammo. A steady diet of +P ammo will cause endshake cylinder. The 3" version was somewhat rare. Do not ruin the collecor value of this fine firearm. If you must shoot/carry it, shoot only standard pressure ammo through it. Carrying it with +P's will not make it blow up in your hand. It will withstand a small amount of +P's over a lifetime.

3. planenut

planenut New Member

I have others for carry so it will not be in the regular rotation. However, my wife likes revolvers better so I had considered it for her home defense. She has a problem racking the Colt or Kimber. I also have another Ruger revolver but it is much heavier than the Smith.

It is nice to know it is somewhat rare. I will take care of it.

Thanks

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Nice looking gun. Just shoot standard ammo through it and preserve its beauty as much as you can. Go out and get another gun for carry or around the house and save that gem from any potential damage. That said. . . definitely shoot it! Nothing feels better than a quality American classic S&W.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Great looking pistol! I have a soft spot for the older Smiths.

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do you and the gun a favor and shoot standard pressure ammo.

The both of you will be happy.

8. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

This info comes from a Dude that carries/shoots "Mini-Magnums" in a Ruger LCR???:confused::p:eek:

9. ziggy1

ziggy1 New Member

DOB smith wesson 36 1"

Just bought one at the gun show today for 485.00 in mint cond. never fired.
    Model #418950 when you open the cylinder it is stamped mod.36 and
    #2314 any info on this would greatly help me.

10. planenut

planenut New Member

I will be glad to look but I am away at recurrent flight training in NJ. I won't be home until Saturday night. I will get back to you then.

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Different deal there. I shoot magnum/super-magnum loads in all my Rugers especially my SP101. My older Smiths however only get fed standard .38 special loads, even the .357.

Ziggy, I don't know off hand what years of production coincide with those serial/model #'s, but every time I have a dilemma like that Google helps me out. ;)

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Feed it standard ammo and it will last many generations.

13. oneanddone

oneanddone New Member

What would you consider standard ammo ?

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ziggy, I just checked my S&W catalog and can't find those numbers. The numbers inside the crane the frame in that area are generally the part and model number. The serial number is on the heel/bottom of the grip frame. Give me that number and I'll look it up for you.

15. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Don't shoot +p in this gun. You maybe able to fire a few through it, but it was not designed for this. In short or long run it will fail with a really bad consequences. I really wouldn't. It is a beautiful gun.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Oh yeah, for the OP, just shoot .38's.